Blue and Purple Veggies and a Birthday Party?

Options
2»

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming the veggie tray is for the parents, because my kid would flip if I put out an all veggie tray.

I like the idea of mixing it up. Do fruit AND veggies. True story, though....no fruit/vegetable is *naturally* blue. Blueberries are actually purple, but they're close enough.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    is this your cake?

Tie+Dye+Cake8+logo.jpg

That's awesome and terrible all at the sane time! Lol.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas!

I am having a fruit tray, a veggie tray, a chip tray, and a candy tray. I am contemplating a jello tray.. IDK yet, I never can make my jello "wiggly" enough to cut them into squares.:grumble: Any advice on that as well?!:laugh:

And of course the "cake" is going to be dyed cupcakes in the shape of a rainbow and clouds. Her smash cake is going to be a small tye-dyed cake, similar to what bynsky posted, except I am doing the icing different.

I did the foods that way, because 1. It fit into the theme and 2. My little princess can go to town on some of her favorite foods.

Definitely going to look closer at my local stores the next few weeks ( I haven't been able to find purple carrots, potatoes and such in the past) and also experiment with some taters. Push comes to shove I am going to throw some fruit or chips on the veggie tray and call it a day.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Purple carrots are relatively easy to come by if you can get to a cooperative or organic foods store, and are usually super sweet and nummy.

As for the jello, add pure gelatin powder (e.g. Knox) to the jello powder before you add the boiling water. There are recipes out there for finger jello... I don't have any off the top of my head, but that's how my aunt always did it.
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    I'm assuming the veggie tray is for the parents, because my kid would flip if I put out an all veggie tray.

I like the idea of mixing it up. Do fruit AND veggies. True story, though....no fruit/vegetable is *naturally* blue. Blueberries are actually purple, but they're close enough.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My sister said something similar as well.

Believe it or not her 2 favorite foods are green beans and cheese puffs! As long as tho two are invited to the party, she could care less!
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Dude, purple cabbage! You know, the stuff that comes in salad mixes? You could make a big pile of it and have it cheat and do double duty for the blue and purple.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    For the purple - what about Cabbage? They say its red, but it looks purple to me.

For blue I would go with dye, it sounds fun. Although there is blue corn, but I have never actually seen it.
  • Wenchilada
    Options
    Dude, purple cabbage! You know, the stuff that comes in salad mixes? You could make a big pile of it and have it cheat and do double duty for the blue and purple.

Right, but who eats raw cabbage? (Uh oh, here come the cabbage rights people! :sad: ) You could do a lovely sweet vinegar slaw.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Right, but who eats raw cabbage? (Uh oh, here come the cabbage rights people! :sad: ) You could do a lovely sweet vinegar slaw.

But it is raw in a salad..l
  • Wenchilada
    Options
    I know you're doing a chip tray, too, but if you're willing to double-bill, you could put these puppies out on the veggie tray and have a blue walnut dip? I will vouch for these chips being delicious and very purple. I found them in the health market of my local chain grocery store.

R6wAeVs.png
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Purple cabbage, it would go good if you are doing some find of dip. As for the blue, I have no idea.
  • PBsMommy
    Options

But it is raw in a salad..l

I had this argument with myself just last night! Yeah, physco, I know, but I argue with myself quite often... Of course I do eat cabbage by itself all the time! but I just thought I was weird. :laugh:

@Wenchilada - What store did you find those chips at?! I have found blue ones at the local Wally-World, but haven't spotted purple ones. (I was going to cheat and throw purple cookies on the chip tray for purple):laugh:
  • Wenchilada
    Options
    I see you're in Georgia - I don't think there are any HyVee stores there. :( That's where I got mine.

http://www.mysticharvest.com/where-to-buy

They also sell in Costco stores, but again, not in Georgia. Dangit. You can order online, though, from their website (I couldn't find them on Amazon). Note they have plain corn as well as multigrain. I can't vouch for the multigrain as they're not safe for me to eat, but the plain corn ones were light and crispy and had just the right amount of salt.

ETA: I see the shipping is included in the $21 price for 6 bags. That's actually a pretty dang good deal. I'm going to have to see if that's less than what my store charges for them!