Gym Virgin !!!

Options
Hello pals,

I got a gym membership and will start tonight. As the subject states I am a GYM VIRGIN !

I lost my first 26 pounds working out at home because I didn't feel conformable working out in front other people.

Now at 75 KG, I am finally making that step. I would like to start weight lifting to get more muscle and strength.

So please help this gal with gym etiquette ! Which machines should I use as a beginner ?! How many reps ?! etc.

Thank you in advance dears !

Replies

• Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Experiment with different cardio machines, and use a variety of them.

For weights avoid machines as much as possible and work with free weights. Dumb bells are excellent. Google good beginner dumbell workouts.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    For me, a gym is a great place and now that you have been there, I see no etiquette at all..
    In a typical gym, there are plenty of cardio exercises to choose from.
    Myself, I got hooked into spinning.. A spinning class is exciting and moving.. Lose looooots of cals too! I can't explain the feeling of joy once the workout ends! Scientifically, exercise generates endorphines meaning happiness.
    A gym is also a place to know and meet friends who share the same joy for exercise as you do! It's a lot of fun really!
    Furthermore, I can't explain why I feel like *kitten* after a day without working out. Many days, a great workout is the highlight of my day!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! Others will likely have a lot more insight into machines than myself, but I just wanted to say don't be shy of using the free weights. I greatly prefer them to machines of any sort, personally. You can work just about everything with a collection of dumbells and bench.

You might check out Scooby's site for a beginner or intermediate weight routine.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/custom-workout-plans/

He even has video demonstrations of most exercises, and don't worry about "bulking up". There's no way a woman can bulk up with weights unless she's training very hard (and eating) with that specific goal in mind.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    does your gym have classes? if so, a group class like "Body Pump" or any similar class that gives you a total body workout with weights is great- esp for beginners. It will teach you a lot of moves for free weights and how to do it with good form- and its a good workout!