What to eat at this restaurant? Calorie counts are insane!

Options

Replies

• boilerbabe69
    Options
    I with the others in that the portions are probably outrageous. I would order al a carte for an entree and then a salad without extras and don't be afraid to carry your own dressing. Honey mustard dressing from a bottle has as many calories as ranch but if you mix honey and mustard you can have almost a half of cup for 60 calories. Hope you get it figured out. Good luck.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I go somewhere that has large portions like that, I'm with the others here who said they eat half. I couldn't eat two chicken breasts in one meal anyway, so it would be a total waste for me to even leave it on the plate. Sometimes I will even ask for them to just bring me half & box up the other half. Some places will do that, others will just bring the box so I can do it myself. Either way, that works for me. It's generally still higher in caloric content than what I would generally eat, but it's a whole lot less than the full serving size, plus then I've got another meal to take home.

But then, I'm all about "all things in moderation."
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Since you are not looking to splurge I would suggest the Feild of Greens (the calorie count includes cheese, bacon and croutons as described on the menu - omitting them will save you minimum 250 cals I bet) and I would add grilled chicken to that. If you get oil and vinager or the raspberry vinaigrette on the side it won't be too bad in cals if you just dip your fork. I know it's a lot of custimization but you are paying for it so you should have it the way you want!

Second choice would be the Caesar salad with grilled chicken added and dressing on the side.

I like salads and have a hard time NOT eating what is on my plate so that is the route I woudl take, I like the other suggestion too of asking for half of it to be boxed or to have them bring you a box when they bring your your entree if you got the chicken so you could box up half before you started eating.

Have fun!!
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Can you get them to give you the grilled chicken with the sauce on the side? That way you can control the portion size.

If they couldn't, I would go for the Side Caesar and the cup of Texas Chili. That's 666 calories total and it would keep you under.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Get the chicken, eat one breast or less, ask for double broccoli or even coleslaw to sub for the rice. Also, ask that they just steam the broccoli, not butter or oil please (that will take the calorie count down on teh broccoli). Eat slowly so you know when you are actually full. Restaurants add unnecessary oils and other fats and additives to their food that makes the calorie count out of control. If your server does manage to get you the broccoli just steamed make sure to leave him/ her a little extra in the tip, it's not easy asking and even arguing with the cooks to make food in a special way. While most menus are easy to order modified it's often more complicated making sure it's actually done. I worked in restaurants for 10 years, trust me.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others: if you're not going to make it a cheat day, just eat half of it (but all the broccoli, if you're having the Jamaican chicken). Or just don't eat the bits you're not so keen on. For instance, I've had a burger and not eaten the bun which cuts the calories a lot. Or some places will do a side salad instead of the bun. If you just had the burger itself and a couple chips it wouldn't be nearly as many calories as the total. I realise that the difficulty is working it out exactly, but to be honest, I think it's never going to be exact as the nutritional info is bound to be a bit of an estimate.

(I'm not saying have a burger, but you could just have what you fancy and don't eat so much of the "filler" - bread, potatoes, etc.).
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I worked at a Bailey's Pub & Grille for 3 years.....
    If you're serious about your diet....do not eat there. Ask for celery (they serve it with wings) or plain chips and salsa. Even the healthy options are cooked in too much butter and oil. You can make special requests but that's not even a guarantee they'll do as you ask. Sad...I know.

Just don't do it...

As I said, I don't have a choice. I'm hosting an event and will be there till past 11PM - after 10 hours of work and then that, I need to eat dinner (NOT celery LOL!). I'm not asking about whether to eat there, I'm asking WHAT to eat.

I am eating light today, not even 500 calories (all fruit and vegs) to make up for it. You guys are right about the calories not being able to be totally accurate anyway, I should just focus on not going way over without realizing it.

Thank you for the recommendations everyone! I was so freaked out about the calorie counts that I forgot to think about portion size - good idea about boxing up half of it immediately! I think I'll get the chicken minus the rice, see if they can sub a side salad with no cheese croutons etc, and see if they have a light dressing on the side, and I will make sure to ask that the broccoli has no butter. THANKS!
  • TigressPat
    Options
    As a general rule, restaurant servings generally represent 2 and sometimes even 3 servings. I'm assuming those two chicken breasts are not 4 oz serving sized breasts...probably closer to 8 oz...meaning two of those would actually be roughly 4 servings of chicken.

When I don't want to splurge, I just eat about half of an entree. If there is meat, I eat a portion that is roughly the size of my closed fist in width and length...for stuff like rice I eat what would roughly fit in the cup of my palm, etc.

I bet your fist is bigger than mine!
  • Gin66
    Gin66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Eat half and bring your own dressing. I am a server in a restaurant with no low cal dressings and people do it all the time. Also if you will be tempted to eat the whole salad ask the server to bring you a to go box with your order and put half in it right away or share with a friend............oh and Have Fun!!!
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Do you absolutely have to eat there? I mean, is everyone going to be sitting down together to eat and expecting you to eat with them? If not, in such a situation where I am going to be out somewhere for a while, but don't want to eat at a place, I pack snack reserves in my purse to tide me over until I get home and can eat what I want. That is, like 100 calorie bars/packs or granola bars or the like, and then just grab something quick and low cal like a Lean Cuisine meal or homemade salad or whatever when I get home. This way I know what I'm putting in my mouth and I have complete control and not at the mercy of whatever restaurant/bar or other function I'm forced into attending.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, cut the portion when you get the meal. Ask for a to-go box along side your meal and put half of it in the box before you start eating so that you don't even touch that part and have it for lunch/dinner tomorrow. OR...you can cut a few calories from tomorrow, have a lighter lunch/dinner to balance it out.

Keep in mind though, one day won't ruin you. If you end up eating something that is high in calorie, that one day will not throw you off track. Just get back on the wagon tomorrow.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Do you absolutely have to eat there? I mean, is everyone going to be sitting down together to eat and expecting you to eat with them? If not, in such a situation where I am going to be out somewhere for a while, but don't want to eat at a place, I pack snack reserves in my purse to tide me over until I get home and can eat what I want. That is, like 100 calorie bars/packs or granola bars or the like, and then just grab something quick and low cal like a Lean Cuisine meal or homemade salad or whatever when I get home. This way I know what I'm putting in my mouth and I have complete control and not at the mercy of whatever restaurant/bar or other function I'm forced into attending.

Yes, I do. As I've said a few times, I'm going to be there till 11PM. And not having eating since lunch, and going straight from work, I don't want to pass out. Its not about the social aspect, this is why I made sure to say I HAVE to eat there, please choose from the menu for me lol. I AM going to eat there, and I AM serious about my diet, I just want recommendations about what to eat there.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Wow, those are some calorie dense meals. I would go for the steakhouse salad. It is listed as 749 calories. So, close to your budget. Also, you could get it without the fried onion strips which would save some calories. As far as salad dressings, they have a fat free raspberry vinaigrette, oil and vinegar, and pinot noir vinaigrette. Get one of these on the side and use sparingly.

Also, don't be afraid to ask for what you want. Get a grilled chicken breast, broccoli (without the butter or oil they have to putting on it to make it 133 calories) and a plain baked potato. Good luck!
  • s07civic
    s07civic Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What I would do is just order a salad without dressing, no bacon, no cheese, etc. Maybe get a grilled chicken salad. Even if it's not on the menu, technically it's a "RESTAURANT" so shouldn't they accomodate you? :-) Just my $.02
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Yes, I do. As I've said a few times, I'm going to be there till 11PM. And not having eating since lunch, and going straight from work, I don't want to pass out. Its not about the social aspect, this is why I made sure to say I HAVE to eat there, please choose from the menu for me lol. I AM going to eat there, and I AM serious about my diet, I just want recommendations about what to eat there.

Sorry, the post where you mentioned that went up while I was typing my post so I never saw it. All I knew of was 3+ hours at the place. Also, while I can see the menu, for some reason, I am not able to load up the nutritional info at all, so can't see it.

edit: and yes, I'm typing much slower than I usually do as my right wrist and hand are injured and in a brace. slow going here, so I may miss things as I type...happens.
  • seeashleysave
    seeashleysave Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about asking for a box immediately. I use this trick all the time. Also, I would recommend seeing if anyone who is going with you would be willing to split an entree. This method would be even less tempting because you don't have a box of food sitting in front of you.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Ask what is on the house salad - if there is bacon, cheese or egg, tell them to take it off and ask for Oil and Vinegar on the side.
    Get the soup and salad combo with the house salad, and cup of chili - hold the cheese.

Or the Jamaican chicken, but only eat half, with a plain house salad, oil and vinegar on the side.

Also keep in mind, you're not going to gain 10 pounds if you go over by a few hundred calories tonight.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Even the side salad is 647 calories though! I don't understand these calorie counts at all :(. And like for the chicken, if I subtract the rice, its 500 calories - that doesn't sound right for 2 chicken breasts, sauce, broccoli, and beans, it should be more shouldn't it? Half the cheese pizza would be good if only I could get a normal side salad that wasn't 647 calories!

I'm really shocked to see these numbers, how can a place not have anything remotely healthy?

How can a place not have anything remotely healthy? It's more common than you think. I ate out ALL last summer while I was in a hotel with my husband and WOW. I learned where to AVOID fast.

However, if this is a one time thing it sounds like you've seen many options to modify what you remove from a 'meal' set up, however, also see if they can modify *how* they cook things. You can ask for them to make something 'dry' (ie no butter light on olive oil) although you wont get an exact calorie count as to what that means, it's still less your body will have to burn later.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the nutrition, not the actual menu.

But I am going to say what some other people said - a side Caesar salad and a cup of chili without cheese would be pretty dang good.

Another idea - get the "Buffalo chicken sliders" appetizer, and eat like two of those little sliders.

Or get something off the kids menu.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Call ahead and ask if you can bring something. A lot of times, if you are part of a function, they are willing to look the other way if you ask politely. You could also explain that you are on a very specific diet.

Barring that, try bringing a bottle of salad dressing in your purse. 99% of the time, restaurant salad dressings are full of fatty badness. You might get an odd look or two when you pull out the bottle, but you can joke about how you saw someone do it in a commercial once and thought it would be fun to try. ;-)