Cheat Foods.. Do or Don't?

Options
13»

Replies

• Lisuuhhh
    Lisuuhhh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your perspectives. The different insight is allowing me to sort this out and I think I know what I need to do!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I don't think its considered a cheat meal if you work it into your calories.
    This. Do your research. Chipotle and Houlihan's, like virtually every chain restaurant out there, post their nutrition info online. Look up a meal, plus maybe a back up in case they're out of something, that fits your goals for the day. Write your choice down, even, if you think you'll waver if they put a menu into your hand.

Unless you plan to avoid the places you like forever, you need to learn now how to make better choices when you do go there. Get into the habit of doing that, and it'll be easier to maintain your goal weight once you reach it.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    I wondered if someone who has been fairly successful in their weight loss thus far has any advice on this topic. I am only about three weeks in to my new routine/diet and wondered whether you allow yourself to cheat on occasion in order to feel less deprived of your favorite things.

I've kind of told myself I would allow myself maybe one or two meals each week that I really want.. and have also decided not to cut out alcohol entirely. But I guess I worry that allowing myself these cheats could lead me back down the wrong path. I haven't been very successful in starting my weight-loss journey and maintaining it. I have tried a few times now and usually end up going off the deep end.

Any advice you have is much appreciated!

I don't know if 30lbs in 3 months is considered fairly successful, but I do allow for cheat meals, mainly because I still want to have a social life. I DO however, limit what I can have as far as the # of cheat meals. I allow for 2 every two week period. I can have 2 in a row or 2 spread out. I also try to compensate for the cheat meal with extra exercise, but I refuse to feel any guilt over them.

I also try to do the healthiest cheat meal I can. If I'm going out with the ladies, I drink hard liquor not fruity sugar-filled drinks, I eat whole cuts of meat (not ground or processed meats), I eat a big salad before the meal, and I'll split a dessert. But...I see that as how I'll live the rest of my life, not just cheat meals. I LOVE eating out (I'm a total foodie), so I'm not going to even try to create a life that doesn't allow for that.