My story....

Options
Hi, My name is Krista. I am fairly new to MFP. I started a week ago. I love the calorie and exercise counter. I just wanted to share a little bit about myself. I see everyone else doing it so I thought I would jump on the bandwagon. I am 22 going on 60 as my grandmother says. "I have an old soul"... don't mind my quoting a horrible designer. I have been overweight my entire life. I have a true hourglass shape... but my glass is too full. I am big busted and big hipped... if that is a word. I have been working out majorly since October 2009. I am not a stranger to exercise by any means. I am taking a total body and ab workout class two days a week (sometimes 3x) and a boot camp class two other days a week. I drink plenty of water... no sodas at all! I work where I am sitting on my butt almost all day long. I really started my "diet" January 1, 2010.... Since then I have lost 8 lbs... gained some back... and lost a few.

I guess the only place to really make the change is to my food. I have seen by tracking my food that I have a few good days in a row and then I have a few bad days in a row. Hopefully by doing this I can add some more good days and subtract a few bad days.

I guess what I really want to know is there anyone out there like me? I mean... I dont have that "I wish I used to look like I did 5 years ago moments..." I want to look good for the first time in my life without having to starve myself. Oh and did I mention that I love to cook as does my boyfriend.... who is 5'11" and 140 lbs soaking wet... he eats whatever he wants, doesn't exercise, and doesn't gain a pound. He brings icecream, cake, chips and dip, and all other things to bed EVERY night. It is so hard to avoid bad foods especially when he won't eat healthy....

Replies

• nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    It really is hard to watch what you eat when you are surrounded by all the wonderful food you should be avoiding. That has always been a test to me. During the holidays...families brought so much 'crap' to thank the nurses for all their wonderful care. Don't get me wrong, it was good...but I never know when to stop. Needless to say, that is why I am as overweight as I am. But, since Jan, I have tried to eat less junk, cook a little healthier, and increase my fruit and vegie intake. Some days are harder than others but I keep plugging along. Sure, I eat some 'bad' stuff...but then I know I have to exercise. I try walking or biking everyday...even when I don't want to. I have missed some days on that too. But all you can do is try...I am sure if you share your desire to get healthy...your boyfriend might help.
    Good luck to you!
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    Options
    I can say with confidence, that you are definately not alone. I'm 23 and I've been overweight my entire life. I also have one of those boyfriends that can eat whatever he wants, and never gain a pound. He supports me and encourages me to lose weight but it's definately hard when I see him eating whatever the heck he wants.

I definately don't have that "I wish I look like I used to" attitude. I've always been a chubby girl.. I wanna be healthy and shop for cute strapless dresses for the FIRST time in my life.
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Welcome! The support is great here and I am sure you will do well! I also have a true hour glass shape, but instead of the little ones that sit on the desk or come in games I am a full size one that sits in the corner of the room. Hahaha I also love to bake and for a while there was trying new recipies everyday because someday I would like to open a bake shop. Luckily I don't have a sweet tooth and could handle moderation...but tha moderation on top of my old habits was still to much. So I have cut way back on that. The kids weren't happy with that. Hahaha
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Krista! I've been overweight since I was 9 so I understand the "look good for the first time in my life" mindset. I do want to get to a place I was 5 years ago but back then I was still overweight...but I wasn't working out, so I know this time, once I get down to that number, I'll look better 'cause I've been working out non-stop since January.

I, too, have a boyfriend who can eat whatever he wants and still be skinny. It can be hard to eat healthy when he's around but I cook and he loves everything I cook - even when it's healthy *tricky tricky!* - so I just tell him he has to eat it and he normally doesn't complain. He can have junk food but he has to pay for it and if I'm really tempted, if I tell him to put it up or get it away from me, he will. If you haven't, sit down with him and explain to him that this is for your health and if he's not supportive, it could really affect you and just ask him to help you. :) Most boyfriends come around!
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hello Krista, first welcome to MFP :) I am here for a week as well and some things in your story i can connect to. I have never been slim or anything in that area, i always have been too heavy and too big it just became worse over the years (so i am morbid obese now), so i cannot say that exercise is a good old friend. Also my hourglass doesn't have a smaller part in the middle *grins*

My boyfriend is the same, he is not overweight, he can eat what he wants and doesn't gain a single pound. He eats chocolate and chips every day, is playing computergames and doesn't really move a lot besides the few days he is at work. I have learned pretty early in one of the countless courses i visited that the metabolism of men is different and that they lose weight or keep it much much easier than us girls.

We have a little "ritual" that we have a movie night once a week and usually eat Tortilla chips with cheese dip for those. And under the week more chips. I cannot stand chocolate but chips have been my weak spot. My boyfriend bought me one bag on Monday last week, the day i started on MFP without knowing i am going to start here *G* And all week i saw it laying there in the open and i told myself "You have a goal, you want to be healthy and look good for the first time in your life, don't ruin it with chips" and it worked. It was not easy but it worked. Last night we *shared* the bag while watching movies, no dip this time. I stayed in my calorie limit and i was proud of myself to survive the week without eating them within 5 minutes alone but to share them with him over the period of half an hour. I saw it as kind of a little reward for being a good girl all week.

I think the only thing i can really tell you is never to lose your goal out of your eyes, you work hard for it and i am sure you'll make it :)
  • becky123456
    becky123456 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi - ,y name is Becky and I can totally relate to your story.. Although I weighed just 135 before my first pregnancy, I can't believe how my weight has gotten out of control since he was born.. (Almost 17 years ago, but still). I am so ready for a change, I want to wear jeans with a zipper, not the elastic mommy jeans I have to wear since ballooning to 189. It's a struggle, but this website has made it easy to track my calories and sodum and so many other important things.. I am very anemic, so it's important for me to get enough iron everyday and I also have a neurological condition in my family that makes it nearly impossible to exercise. Even walking is tough for me... But here I go.. Good luck to you! Let us know about your progress!
  • ComfortFoodAddict
    ComfortFoodAddict Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Wow... thank you everyone for your support. My boyfriend knows that I am working hard to eat better. He is supportive but sticks to his "I don't know why you think you have to do all of this, you know I love you the way you are." yeah yeah... but last time I dropped a bunch of weight he couldnt keep his hands off me. That was a whole lot easier... I just stopped drinking sodas.... well, I havent drank sodas for 3 years now... so what am I to give up now?
    @chandnikhondji ... I completely understand.... salty foods are my demise!

As for my boyfriend... I have told him that I want him to eat healthier as well... his response is "if I can eat like this for 40 years and not have to suffer until I am 41 and fat then I am fine with that" he would rather enjoy it now and suffer the consequences when they come.... He does however love his vegetables... he doesnt eat horribly all the time.... And when he offers me a bite of his icecream or some chips... I try to tell him not to do that... He does okay with this. It is just so easy to stray.

@arielle0489 .... I cant sneak healthy food in to well since he knows what goes in the food.

@8racefan8 ... I have dreamed about opening up a bakery myself!!! I looooooooooove to bake. Actually opening one is something I would never do though... dont want to be bogged down by the business aspect of it.
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    Options
    My boyfriend has a HUGE problem with offering me food. It's been two weeks into my diet and he's finally starting to get it into his head that I can't eat his food.