Cottage Cheese

Options
13»

Replies

• trammelgal
    Options
    Any brand but make sure it's lowfat. I mix my cottage cheese with fruitcocktail (light syrup). I often eat this as adesert.
  • FrozenTundra511
    FrozenTundra511 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not sure if East Coast has Darigold products but that is the brand I prefer.
    I have had Daisy Brand also and that was hideous.

I just finished eating a cup with sliced grape tomatoes in it.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I put it in shakes, lasagna, or mixed with salsa to dip nachos in. The texture freaks me out but chunky salsa masks it.
  • sanibelshell
    sanibelshell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese almost every day for breakfast- with lots of cinnamon sprinkled on. I like Michigan brand, but now I cn't find it in our stores anymore. Sam's club brand and Giant Eagle brand are good too. Can't wait to try all these other good ideas!
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My favorite is 1/3 cup cottage cheese, 12 almonds smashed, half a diced apple, sprinkle of cinnimon and 1/2 a tbsp of pure maple syrup.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I really like our local Kroger brand small curd 4% cottage cheese. It is even the cheapest, but has great flavor with fruit and such.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I use it with smoothies and I throw simple fruit or yogurt in it for a meal.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Mix it with scrambled eggs.
    I agree with this, far healthier than regular cheese.

I also like it on toast with sliced tomatoes.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE cottage cheese! I don't think I've ever tried a brand that I didn't like; just always check your exp dts. I enjoy my cottage cheese with peaches or pineapples. DELICIOUS!

^^^^ same here. When I was younger and first tried cottage cheese I didn't like it but love it now with peaches, pineapples or any kind of fruit. I am going to try it with some of the things listed on these comments :)
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I like the 365 Organic Fat Free Cottage Cheese from Whole Foods, but any decent quality brand will do. I don't love or not love cottage cheese in particular, but it comes in handy if you haven't had quite enough for dinner and need just a bit before bed time. It is one of the few things that won't mess up your sleep, which is why I don't eat it with anything.

"If you're dieting, eating cottage cheese before bed can be helpful for controlling your appetite. This is because cottage cheese contains a type of protein called casein, which your body digests at a slower rate than other types of protein."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/502304-what-are-the-benefits-of-cottage-cheese-before-bed/

"Serotonin is a neurotransmitter known as the "feel good" brain chemical, because it acts as both a mood booster and an appetite suppressant. ... In order for the body to make enough serotonin, it is necessary to consume enough of an amino acid called tryptophan. ... There are a number of foods that contain tryptophan. In addition to meats, such as turkey or chicken, or dairy products, such as milk, eggs, and cottage cheese, tryptophan is also found in fruits, vegetables, nuts, and whole grain products."

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-serotonin-diet.htm