Walking on college campus?

Hey guys, I'm rather new to this and I have a question regarding my exercise. I am a student at Wayne State in Detroit, I am an honors student and work as well so I don't have much time to work out. But I like to think that me walking from my apartment to class (15 min walk, I do it at least twice everyday) and from class to class is a good form of exercise. Am I right or am I being unrealistic trying to myself feel like I'm doing something when I'm really not?

Replies

• bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    I definitely think it counts! My doctor once told me that if I don't have time to exercise, at least try to get a 20 minute walk in each day. So if you're doing that and hauling your books all over campus, I'd say it counts for something.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Are you asking because you want to track 30 minutes of walking and eat the calories back?
  • Gogochajl, thank you so much that's what I wanted to know!!

Wellbert, nope I was just wondering if I needed to force myself to make time to work out (which would be really hard) because the walking wouldn't make a difference. Cute pug by the way, I have one named Samson =]:smile:
  • selina_kyle
    selina_kyle Posts: 18 Member
    Definitely a good start!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    you have to start somewhere, AND I WANT THAT DOG!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Gogochajl, thank you so much that's what I wanted to know!!

Wellbert, nope I was just wondering if I needed to force myself to make time to work out (which would be really hard) because the walking wouldn't make a difference. Cute pug by the way, I have one named Samson =]:smile:

Handsome pug!

Well, mroe exercise = more fitness. But idet alone can help you lose weight. so.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Definitely counts. I work at Phoenix College and I also throw a couple 1 mile, 15 minute walks each day. However, I can also put a few miles every day just walking around campus. I log it as 2.0 mph walk unless I know I was in a hurry. Not a lot of calories burn, but still counts.

I use the MOVES app on my iPhone as a pedometer to track it.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    An example: Yesterday I was doing a building remodel walk-thru and was out and about for almost an hour. For that I logged 45 mins of 2.0 MPH walking, which is around 175 calories for me. Not a ton, but helps.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Now is the time to make a habit of exercising. Once you start working and have other responsibilities, it'll only get harder.

When I was in school, I would work out as soon as I woke up - at home, if need be. DVD already in player, workout clothes and shoes by my bed. 30 minute video, shower, done. Took very little time. You CAN fit in a couple workouts per week, you just need to decide what other activities you can live without.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Are you asking because you want to track 30 minutes of walking and eat the calories back?
    To clarify a bit, you can indeed log the walking as exercise activity & eat the calories back, as long as your setting is on Sedentary. However, since it sounds like you're doing a good amount of walking & it's pretty much the same each day, I'd recommend setting yourself to Lightly Active & not logging any exercise unless you do some intentional exercise on top of that. This will increase your calorie target slightly to account for the extra activity, & you won't have to add an exercise entry every day.
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    I log mine! I figure I'm walking about an hour everyday and with the hills/stairs on my campus it can be a workout as I also walk pretty fast. Based on treadmill speeds and using Map My Walk app i tend to walk 3.5-4 mph and log it as such... MMW app also gives a calorie burn that is supposed to be more accurate than mfp (or so ive heard, i dont have an hrm or anything). An hour of walking fast can be 200+ calories so that counts!

Eta- though i do still go to the gym 5 days a week and walk my dog another hour at least 3 days a week (again, fast walk) i walk about 12+ miles per week without going to the gym at all.