New Job and being taken out

Options
Alright everyone, I'm a soon to be grad and I THANKFULLY was able to book a job. The job is really cool and all and the people are great. My issue is that they LOVE going out to eat. How am i supposed to justify not getting a beautiful steak at high end chophouse................that i'm not even paying for. Mostly i'm asking how do you go about keeping to your health plan when being taken out all the time? This is so weird and new for me. Need to keep it healthy but how!

Replies

• kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    at a steak house you could get a "petite" portion of steak and choose sensible sides like grilled asparagus or roasted red potatoes. as long as you keep in check for the rest of the day youll be fine! don't stress out so much, let them know that you're watching what you eat. working in an office is stressful because it always seems to be someones birthday or someone brings in girl scout cookies or leftovers etc. i just keep snack bags in my desk with dehydrated fruits, almonds, celery bags in the fridge and always have emergency soup bowls for when i need to have a quick healthy lunch. check with your insurance about gym discounts, i have prime and got my membership to LA fitness for free through my job.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Depending on the cut, steak really isn't that bad for calories. Get something like top sirloin.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    be careful about what you get. see if the restaraunts they frequent have online nutrition info. steak can be really good for you. a serloin cut is low-fat, get a side salad w/ oil & vinegar (or lemon juice if you really want to keep it down) and double broccoli. that's a very low-cal meal. just pay attention and make sure to order exactly what you want.
  • kznovo
    kznovo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Pick your sides and sauces carefully. You also don't have to eat the whole thing. Try eating only half and then you have leftovers for another day too!
  • healthyheartRN
    Options
    Another suggestion - this helps me when I don't want to draw attention to myself. Like the others said, steak, baked potato, salad, side vegetable are all great choices, I just eat half, state "I'm really full, that was so good" and request a box to take it home and eat it tomorrow. I find that people don't encourage you to "go ahead" if you state your watching what you eat, they just think your full, which you probably will be.... Watch out though for those appetizers, that's my downfall, I could make a whole meal just out of appetizers. You will figure it out as you go, looking up nutritional info. online really does help, and soon it will be 2nd nature, to enjoy your coworkers, eat out, but still do good on your choices. Congrat. on the job.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've actually been happy to order a small steak at steakhouses before. It's a much healthier option than something smothered in sauce. Get a salad to go with, avoid the bread, see if you can get a steamed veggie side and you'll (hopefully!) be full and happy!
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Awesome thank you guys so much! They're talking me out to The Sands tonight (in Bethlehem) tonight.....night of gambling and fun and food. Blah. I was just happy I only kept it to 1 wine! But thank you guys. I'll have to just keep an eye on the low fat and organic and keep it to that. Thank you!

Now if i can figure out if I can work out for a bit of time before dinner.....i'd be golden....