Does this seem correct to you?

Options
lmkaks
lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
I posted last week about my trip to a nutritionist and I am still questioning a few things she said. Some of it makes total sense, some doesn't. I just want some feedback from people out there who have had success on MFP and just get your own opinions on the following. Basically, the jist of her message was lower carb and low fat. She said I had to restrict carbs to 45g per meal and 15g per snack (and you could not carry carbs over from an earlier meal, so you use them or lose them), and I do think that is doable.

She also said to restrict fat to 15g per day of additional fats - so if a food contained 4g of fat, don't count it, but if it had 6g of fat, you had to count all 6g toward your 15g limit. This is the part I am really struggling with.

Here is what I question:
There is no such thing as "good fats". Your stomach can't tell the difference beween McDonalds and an avocado.
She suggested I use a fat-free, store bought dressing instead of homemade dressing using olive oil - (I always thought making something on your own was better than processed).
I could eat unlimited amount of lean protein each day - so throw the scale out the window.
Calorie counting is NOT the way to lose weight (but I do think she meant, if I just eat lean protein and veggies, my calories would be "in check" anyway).
There is no difference between brown and white rice. Carbs are carbs.
All cheese is off limits, but I could have spreadable Laughing Cow cheese 1-3 times per week.
Even if exercising, do not increase your carb intake.
If I follow her way of eating, I will lose one to two lbs. a week.

I have decided I will monitor my calories but keep what she said (about carbs and fat) in the back of my head when meal planning and making food decisions. I just find a lot of what she said confusing, but then again, what do I know since I am in need of losing 45lbs.

I just wanted to see if other people could back her up or just get your thoughts in general.

Thanks!

Replies

• FitMama2Three
    FitMama2Three Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow- I am not a dietician but I call BS on a few of her points.

1) There is no such thing as "good fats". Your stomach can't tell the difference beween McDonalds and an avocado.

Seems to contradict research that encourages people to eat nuts, olive oil and avocado. No way.

2) She suggested I use a fat-free, store bought dressing instead of homemade dressing using olive oil - (I always thought making something on your own was better than processed).

Again- a good quality olive oil is so much healthier than a processed diet dressing!

3) There is no difference between brown and white rice. Carbs are carbs.

Brown rice has fiber therefore takes longer to break down and is more filling. Maybe it's the same in terms of carbs as white rice but higher in satiety factor.

The rest I'm not sure about but I would be questioning these three points. Seems like common sense healthy eating IMO.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to restrict fats and carbs at the same time. Not sure what her thinking is but just staying in your calorie goals would probably work just fine too. Getting overly restrictive usually ends in failure because it isn't something you can do long term.
  • iveyroze3
    Options
    I agree with fit mama. "white carbs" are not good for you and have crappy nutritional value. Brown rice,whole wheat pasta,things with more fiber satisfy longer. I do agree with lean protein. I see a Bariatrician ( Dr who specializes in weight loss ) and she recommends High protein,low carb. Drink at least 8 eight oz glasses of water a day ,and exercise. She also recommends B Vitamins,Fish oil,multivitamin. She says for me to have about 1200 calories a day. I do 1400 and still am losing. I do not do it perfectly but do as best as I can. This is a lifestyle change,not a diet for me. usually about 100 carbs or less a day,but she wants me to have even less. Even so after 3 months she and I both are pleased with my 30 lb weight loss. Good luck to you.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Fire her immediately. She is whack
  • WilliamAndrewPilgrim
    Options
    I am only calorie counting. I eat 3 meals a day with 2 to 3 decently sized caloric snacks twice a day between meals to keep my metabolic rate up. I do not overly stress on the details of what I eat, and since starting this program my days worth of food is pretty balanced. Some days my carbs will be up some days my fats will be up but I am basically keeping my caloric limit to the standard that MFP set for me, doing some exercise 4 to 5 times a week and I am losing at the rate of 1.5 to 2 pounds a week.

I know everyone is different, but the standard MFP model is working for me.
  • lmkaks
    Options
    I agree with fit mama. "white carbs" are not good for you and have crappy nutritional value. Brown rice,whole wheat pasta,things with more fiber satisfy longer. I do agree with lean protein. I see a Bariatrician ( Dr who specializes in weight loss ) and she recommends High protein,low carb. Drink at least 8 eight oz glasses of water a day ,and exercise. She also recommends B Vitamins,Fish oil,multivitamin. She says for me to have about 1200 calories a day. I do 1400 and still am losing. I do not do it perfectly but do as best as I can. This is a lifestyle change,not a diet for me. usually about 100 carbs or less a day,but she wants me to have even less. Even so after 3 months she and I both are pleased with my 30 lb weight loss. Good luck to you.

Oh yeah, and she said water doesn't matter.
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Basically, the jist of her message was lower carb and low fat. She said I had to restrict carbs to 45g per meal and 15g per snack (and you could not carry carbs over from an earlier meal, so you use them or lose them), and I do think that is doable.
    That would be about 160g or carbs. Probably around 30% of your diet. That doesn’t seem too drastic but is below the official recommendations. In any case I’ve seen a lot of people claim to go lower than that with no adverse health effects.
    She also said to restrict fat to 15g per day of additional fats - so if a food contained 4g of fat, don't count it, but if it had 6g of fat, you had to count all 6g toward your 15g limit. This is the part I am really struggling with.
    What does additional fats mean? I really don’t understand the concept. What is your actual fat goal?
    There is no such thing as "good fats". Your stomach can't tell the difference beween McDonalds and an avocado.
    All fats are required by the body (well, not trans fats), but it is important to have an adequate balance of all. Sat fats, poly and monounsaturated all have their function. Get your fats from a variety of sources and you should be fine. Specific health problems aside, there is no reason why your diet couldn’t include fats from nuts, oily fish, avocados, olive oil, dairy and meat.
    She suggested I use a fat-free, store bought dressing instead of homemade dressing using olive oil - (I always thought making something on your own was better than processed).
    Given that it seems like her strategy is to keep you at a deficit by cutting fats (and carbs) it makes sense that she recommends this. However, be aware that fat free stuff is sometimes loaded with sugars and/or sodium. I’d rather have a teaspoon of olive oil with my salad than ½ cup of a low cal fat free dressing, but that’s just my personal preference.
    I could eat unlimited amount of lean protein each day - so throw the scale out the window.
    Well, too much protein could lead to renal problems. I wouldn't go over 200grs a day without medical advise. As for requirements, the figure of one gram per kilo gets thrown around often. Official recommendations are actually around 0.7 grams per kilo.
    Calorie counting is NOT the way to lose weight (but I do think she meant, if I just eat lean protein and veggies, my calories would be "in check" anyway).
    I’m not going there….
    There is no difference between brown and white rice. Carbs are carbs.
    Fiber content is not the same, so while the energy in each might be equal they won’t have the same effect on your body.
    All cheese is off limits, but I could have spreadable Laughing Cow cheese 1-3 times per week.
    This makes sense if the weight loss strategy is cutting fats. I don’t like that approach to weight loss. I don’t think it could have worked for me. Again, I see no reason why fat can’t be a healthy part of your diet. In any case official recommendations are for fat to be around 20-35% of your diet.
    Even if exercising, do not increase your carb intake.
    Carbs do have their function. The brain for instance uses about 80grams of glucose a day. Try to do a distance race on a ketogenic state and see how that works. Sure, the body has mechanisms that allow it to function on a low carb diet, but I don’t see the health benefits of eating that way. To me it seems simple, if you are burning more, then eat more.
  • missability
    Options
    OMG! where did she get her degree, certification,,,,or whatever it is she has....I would call her a "whack job" <<<Sorry but I call it like I see it....WOW....just WOW!!!
  • raecork
    raecork Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between a dietician and a nutritionist(sp??) Dieticians have a degree where the other is just a course. My thought is you have to find a diet that works but that is also maintainable.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I am eating 30g carbs a day, 100g protein, and unlimited fat.

It take in about 1700 calories a day, and 65% of that is calories from fat - lard, olive oil, coconut oil and heavy cream.

I have lost 2.6 lb a week for 5 weeks, a total of 19lb, without once being hungry.

Does that help?
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Regarding the salad dressing -- why have a store-bought processed one at all?

If eating low fat, use lemon juice, or just salt and vinegar (apple, cider, white wine, malt, modena, etc) and if eating high fat then olive oil, mayonnaise. Much cheaper and no chemicals.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Is this person an official Registered Dietitian? A lot of people can call themselves a dietitian or nutrionist without the proper credentials. Make sure she is registered from an accredited institution.
  • spinnybecky
    Options
    I really question her nutrition training! What are her credentials?

Different fats DO have different effects on the body, she's flat out wrong on that one. And the thing about brown rice and white rice? Of course there is a difference, in white rice you aren't getting the nutrients and fiber from the bran that has been polished off. Honestly it sounds like she has really bought into some low-carb diet book's advice and is ignoring any actual nutrition training that she may have received.

This reminds me of when I was a new mom and I was on WIC. I was required to meet with a "nutritionist" there and she reviewed my diet. She told me I didn't have the recommended servings of grains, and when I pointed out that my dinner contained both spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes (plenty of carbohydrates) she suggested that I substitute saltine crackers for the potatoes. Luckily I knew better so I just smiled and went on my way.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the fiber comment on the value of brown rice. Fiber in your diet will help keep the digestion/elimination process going--along with 8-12 glasses of plain water daily. Some of my MPF friends are doing 30g (and mostly from vegetables) daily. I find it hard to crack 20+, but am happy when I do.

I learned a lot about my dieting strategy a couple of years ago, when I incorporated low-glycemic eating into my nutrition habits. Although I am not diabetic, I am the kind of person who gains easily when I eat sweets or simple carbs (like bagels, white rice, pasta) that is so difficult to come lose. The last time lost more than 10lbs (~10y ago), I had cut ALL sugars--even fruit. I really enjoy fruit, so now I have a little fat with the sweet fruits, such as a few nuts.

In addition to reading about glycemic diets, read about fats. Current studies show that "good" fats do not cause weight gain nor heart disease in an appropriate amount. An appropriate amount for me is about 60g daily. And I second the reply that confirms that there are good fats and bad fats. It comes down to hydrogen electrons---something I currently (re)learning, so I can add it to my blog.

What I am watching in my diet is carbs. I am not as active as you, so my target is 105g/daily of which (AND THIS IS IMPORTANT) 75% is from vegetables and legumes; 15-20% from fruit; 10-5% from grains. Just like there are good fats and bad fats, my body reacts to different carbs differently. The "WHY" I am also currently researching, but it appears to be based on digestion and the unique enzymes that are needed to breakdown a particular foodstuff.

I am loosing 1.5-2lbs/wk eating 1100-1400kcal/daily (105gcarb-60-75gprotein-60gfat), drinking 8-12 glasses (gravity filtered at home and NOT STORED IN PLASTIC) water/daily, exercising 4200kcal burn/wk, and taking a couple of broad spectrum digestive enzyme hard tablets (important so that they make it to the small intestine (i.e. through the acidic stomach) supplements on an empty stomach before bed. This is working for me It may sound peculiar and I have not figured out why that high fat, filtered water and digestive enzyme supplements are working--but I am not stopping while I research. BTW I will have a followup appt with my Dr. next month.

Here is my last note: I do not think that my water & enzyme thing would work without the clean diet and adequate exercise going into the mix too. Because junk food would undercut the benefits of the supplements and exercise --well you could probably tell me much more about that than I could.

I am in your cheering section.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm tired but I totally don't understand this at all.
  • jephry
    jephry Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Counting calories has certainly worked for me!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Never trust anyone that's a nutritionist and not a dietician. I could go out tonight, rent an office space, put a sign on the door that says I'm a nutritionist and start charging people to listen to my advice. No certification or degrees are needed for someone to call themselves a nutritionist in an official capacity, so really, she could just be (and is) spouting a lot of nonsense and charging you for it.
  • lmkaks
    Options
    Never trust anyone that's a nutritionist and not a dietician. I could go out tonight, rent an office space, put a sign on the door that says I'm a nutritionist and start charging people to listen to my advice. No certification or degrees are needed for someone to call themselves a nutritionist in an official capacity, so really, she could just be (and is) spouting a lot of nonsense and charging you for it.

She works in my doctor's office, and my insurance covered it. So I guess that means she is legit? I don't know.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    "Fat free" anything tastes like crap. Isn't it loaded with sodium any way? I'll take the fat!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You said she is a nutitionist which in australia means no degree, basically i could call myself one. Go to a registered dietician.