Any emotional NON-eaters out there?

Options
Hard core family drama making me frustrated and heartsick right now. When I'm this upset/angry/anxious etc, I don't eat. I don't eat to the point of getting sick sometimes. Anyone else out there a emotional NON-eater?

Replies

• klackey23
    Options
    I've had this happen to me a few times. There are just those days occasionally, where it's like you're so bummed and down that you're sick to your stomach and don't want to eat. I'm a journalist and this most recently happened to me when I had to work during the Conn. school shooting. Seeing those parents getting up and talking about their children who were killed just made me a wreck. I realized that night that I hadn't eaten enough for the day, and had to force myself to have a semi-decent dinner.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I went through my divorce I lost weight. I don't eat when I'm stressed and eat when I'm happy.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Yes, the more stressed/upset I am, the less I eat. I overeat constantly when I'm bored though.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I qualify. But i tend to engross myself in projects (work or other) until i come up w a solution.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,973 Member
    Options
    ugh. This is the type of thing that *almost* makes me glad I have no family....sorry you are in a bad place right now. I've been known to do all kinds of unhealthy stuff in times of extreme stress.

Take care of you.
  • CharT5188
    CharT5188 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This is me...if I've had a bad day or a fight (which thankfully is pretty rare) the last thing I want to do is eat. I can easily go the whole day and not put a thing in my mouth when I am emotionally stressed.

Hope things get better for you soon.
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Another here. Whenever I can't handle what's being thrown at me a completely shut down. In my first year of university around exams/applying for second year programs I was so stressed that I didn't eat for a couple of days a week. I actually lost 15 lbs in my first year of university. But every year around exams I would eat maybe one meal a day because my parents made me. Whenever I've had a break-up, or someone passes away, or I lose a friend I tend to live off of a diet of coffee and oranges for a few weeks until I have absolutely no energy to even sleep anymore.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Yes, the more stressed/upset I am, the less I eat. I overeat constantly when I'm bored though.

that would be me too! My house is always clean because if I am not doing something, I am eating. I eat less when I am sad or down.....
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't eat when I'm stressed or upset. I can't imagine how anyone finds comfort in food when they're upset. Just the thought of eating anything makes me want to puke.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yes if I let myself. I force myself to eat if I have to, it's become easier over time. It doesn't do your health or body composition any favours.

look after yourself dealing with horrible things like that :/ cry if you need to, don't bottle up how you feel.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yup when I'm sad/upset/ecstatic (any of the extreme emotions) I lose my appetite. But I never worry about it as I know in time I'll be fine and eat again. Just temporary.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Right here. Life has been pretty bad until recently and I think the under-eating has actually caused a huge portion of my weight problems. And stress.
  • InfiniteEcho
    InfiniteEcho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been a stressful non-eater my entire life. Trying to be more aware and change things up as the weight isn't coming off as it did back in the old days. Stressful non-eating now and I still gain weight...go figure?!?
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yeppers. The more upset I am, the worst time I have forcing myself to eat. I have to though. I also have a problem with post-stress eating. It makes me feel like I'm starving.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't eat when I'm stressed or upset. I can't imagine how anyone finds comfort in food when they're upset. Just the thought of eating anything makes me want to puke.

The majority do find comfort in food; the fact that you (and for that matter, I) do not find food comforting when upset makes us the "weird" ones, not those who do.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Yes, even if I'm just a little anxious, it's like I have no appetite. It's nice to find others like me.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I go both ways. For the times of non-eating traumatic stress, I've found that fruit juices are good. Also, applesauce and pudding.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    When my kids were in the hospital (2 at the same exact time) I couldn't eat. I was too nauseated to eat much of anything and lost weight.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

same with me. During final exams or a few days before I have to take a certification exam I can't eat much at all. My husband has to push me to eat and the day of the exams I'm vomiting all morning. Mostly dry heaves because I haven't been able to eat.
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Same. I usually end up not eating until I feel like I'm going to pass out or be sick, and then either eat enough to just barely satisfy, or in a rare case, I'll end up overloading to kill the inevitable headache that comes with not eating for so long.