Should I up my calories??

eliblish
eliblish Posts: 124 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So since i've been on here i've lost a few pounds. However, not where I need to!!! My stupid love handles are refusing to budge. So here's my question. I was thinking maybe I need to focus more on building muscle rather than losing weight so much. I am 5'5" and 120 pounds so I am not overweight or anything. I just have problem areas. I have seen people say on here that you cannot build muscle with a calorie deficit. Is that true? If I start eating with a calorie surplus and do more strength training am I just going to build muscle under my problem areas and make them look bigger??? My goal weight was 115 but that's not as important to me anymore as looking good is. I don't want to go up a size in clothes though. I would like to go down.
Any info or opinions are greatly appreciated!!! :happy:

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    So since i've been on here i've lost a few pounds. However, not where I need to!!! My stupid love handles are refusing to budge. So here's my question. I was thinking maybe I need to focus more on building muscle rather than losing weight so much. I am 5'5" and 120 pounds so I am not overweight or anything. I just have problem areas. I have seen people say on here that you cannot build muscle with a calorie deficit. Is that true? If I start eating with a calorie surplus and do more strength training am I just going to build muscle under my problem areas and make them look bigger??? My goal weight was 115 but that's not as important to me anymore as looking good is. I don't want to go up a size in clothes though. I would like to go down.
    Any info or opinions are greatly appreciated!!! :happy:

question, at 5'5", why would you set a goal weight of 115? That's pretty low, I mean really low.

To answer your question, yes, it's true, you can't really gain muscle mass (or significant muscle mass anyway) while in caloric deficit. If you eat the RIGHT type of food at a very very modest surplus, and are dilligent in your workouts, then you will gain muscle, you will gain definition, and you will look better! But it doesn't happen over night, expect it to take many months, and even years to develop significant muscle.

My suggestion though, and this is just my opinion, I would seriously rethink 115, I think that's far below what you could/should be at (muscle is heavy, give yourself the chance to gain muscle, at 115 you really can't do that).

I'd be more than happy to help you specifically if you want to PM me, although I know a couple other people on here who might be better than me.

hope this helps.

-Banks
  • eliblish
    Well, when I first started I was 123. I felt like I had about 8 pounds of fat to lose. 115 is still in healthy range on a BMI calc. I am small framed. I'm not sure what 8 pounds of fat looks like though so that number isn't set in stone. My main concern is that I am unhappy with the way my body looks. I thought to get rid of my love handles and shrink my thighs a bit that I would need to lose weight. I am okay with taking a different approach as long as it doesn't make me look bigger in the end. I am just scared that if I up my calories I will gain a bunch of weight.
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Hi
    I just read your diary and noticed you are breastfeeding?
    Your body is probably hanging onto a few pounds of fat due to that.
    I don't think you should put any pressure on yourself until you have completed your breastfeeding
  • eliblish
    Hi
    I just read your diary and noticed you are breastfeeding?
    Your body is probably hanging onto a few pounds of fat due to that.
    I don't think you should put any pressure on yourself until you have completed your breastfeeding

I have wondered if that might have something to do with my stubborn fat areas. I'm hoping not though. :laugh:
  • eliblish
    I guess my main question is this. Is it possible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time without a calorie deficit? AND will this make me smaller in the long run?
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    You can't gain and lose anything at the same time. With a calorie deficit you can only lose, but with the right resistance training and diet you can retain muscle and lose fat. The only way you can build muscle is like what Banks said. The right diet and a upping the calories.
    I can't give advice but I am focusing on my muscle apperance at the moment. Not gaining or losing (well losing fat not muscle) just trying to make them show by lowering my body fat. I am eating a small deficit in calories and using weights and doing light cardio. Eating the right foods is essential. I find it difficult but I have a lifetime to get it right. And I learn new things from this website every week. I have heard but never read that the Breastfeeding does affect things.
    keep trying
    Ben
  • eliblish
    Thanks for all your responses. :flowerforyou: I'm going to put my calories at maintenance, add in my breastfeeding calories, and work on toning up. Then after I tone up and build a little more muscle, if I feel I still have unwanted fat to lose I will try and diet it off carefully. Hopefully I will see results soon!!! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.