grinding your own lean meats

Options
ive started grinding my own lean chicken breast. i really think its going to help me know better what is actually in the food i am eating. very excited! i know im a dork.:noway: do you think its worth the extra effort?

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    we can get chicken breast for 1.88 a pound here and yet pay like 2.50/lb for 85/15 ground chicken. We bought a meat grinder to grind our own.

So far all we've done is make chicken nuggets for our 2 year old without ingredients he's allergic to.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Everything is worth the extra effort if you're willing to put the effort in. I'm the kind of person that buys pre-cut veggies and fruit despite the price difference because if I don't they'll rot in my fridge. I'd never grind my own meat. However, if you have the time/inclination/technology to do so, good on ya.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not all it's cracked up to be. Since I separated from my wife last year I've been grinding my own meat a lot more often. Leaves something to be desired.
  • lei1111
    Options
    from your experience what are the diffrences (besides the extra work) thaks for your time. =)
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I prefer to just pay someone to grind my meat for me
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I prefer to just pay someone to grind my meat for me

It's cheaper to keep her.
  • lei1111
    Options
    you all are so kind here on MFP. i was asking for advice on if its worth the extra effort. thanks tho guys, great spirit....
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    you all are so kind here on MFP. i was asking for advice on if its worth the extra effort. thanks tho uys, great spirit.... NOT!

remiq-net_8770.jpg
  • lei1111
    Options
    me either dude. what do you think?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    ive started grinding my own lean chicken breast. i really think its going to help me know better what is actually in the food i am eating. very excited! i know im a dork.:noway: do you think its worth the extra effort?

Grinding is an AWESOME idea! Once I can get my hands on a grinder, I'll be grinding all kindz of meat into mince.

Serve it on top of homemade baked sweet potato cups, throw some cheese, salsa and guac on top and BAM, nachos! Is nachos worth extra effort?
    Yes. Of course it is.
  • lei1111
    Options
    mmmm nice! sounds wonderful.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My husband has been wanting to get a grinder and a sausage stuffer but I've resisted so far. I can't get my mind around the huge mess I know he'd make!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    me either dude. what do you think?

If you have the time and means to dedicate to the process and are excited about it, why do you care what we think? Making your own isn't somehow going to make the food worse for you...
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how it's next to impossible to get ground chicken breast up here (it's ALWAYS thighs), I think it's a great idea.

Also grinding your own beef is way safer than getting it from anywhere else since you can directly control sanitation. You can also make much leaner ground beef using different cuts.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's not really safe to grind your own poultry due to the higher risk of bacterial infection.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I grind my own beef for burgers and what not...mostly because I can grind it fresh in my grinder...I know it's clean, and I can eat my burger MR the way I like them....I actually tend to have more fat content in mine though than store bought as I grind a chuck steak and I don't trim that bad boy.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It's not really safe to grind your own poultry due to the higher risk of bacterial infection.
    Cook it to the proper temperature, just as with any other meat product.
  • lei1111
    Options
    thanks i was getting myself ALL worried. it seems as long as i clean the processor well and cook to proper temp it would be ok but as i said, i posted this becuase i am new to doing my own meat and am looking to do it right and safely and get some good advice. thanks again. SO apprciated!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've cut, & ground my own venison for as long as I can remember. When I shoot a turkey I grind it up too. Other than chicken & the occasional pork cut, I never buy meat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cook it to the proper temperature, just as with any other meat product.

No, it's different. I have a young relative with severe GI problems and chicken was the only meat he could eat, but it had to be organic. His mom couldn't find organic ground chicken but the GI clinic said absolutely not to grind her own that it was not safe. It's not about cooking temp.