WEIGHTS vs CARDIO

Options
I just read in SHAPE magazine that to drop weight quickly, cut back on Cardio and do weights instead. I love my cardio and feel a better sweat session SHOULD help in losing weight. I have been on MFP for almost 2 years and this last year have gained and lost the same 10 lbs. Could this be the solution? I do alot of interval training videos so I figured this was sufficient for weight training. Please help give me some insight on this.....I have been stuck and saw a Doctor last week finally. Ran a bunch of bloodwork and all was normal. I was told to up my calories to 2,000/day. I am afraid I will now gain more. I just want to get closer to my goal.

Replies

• poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    advice anyone please?
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns calories as well as weight training so both contribute to losing weight. I am sure there may be quite a few people who focus on weight training more than cardio to lose weight because you are also toning and losing inches instead of just pounds. I personally do both on different days to mix things up. I have learned to love running and I enjoy the cardio workout from it and it can tone your legs, but not the upper body so I add weights on other days. Cardio is also very good for your cardiovascular system which is important too.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    the more muscle you have the more calories you burn.

People tend to correlate cardio with weight loss because the calorie burn is very easy to quantify, so the info is there. However, lifting weights burns calories too AND builds muscle (which burns calories all day). The problem is, the calorie expenditure is much more difficult to quantify because there are a ton of variables. You burn calories when you lift as well as during the recovery afterwards.

Anyways, I wouldn't QUIT cardio, but I do recommend that you do a mix of both.
  • poesch77
    Options
    Thanks guys. I just think I need more weight training....but its so much easier to follow a dvd than do it alone on the home gym. I have tried P90X and Insanity ....I didn't like either. What would be a good balance? I currently do 5-6/days per week 20-40 minute DVDs....I switch different ones everyday.....I have about 10 different ones.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I just think I need more weight training....but its so much easier to follow a dvd than do it alone on the home gym. I have tried P90X and Insanity ....I didn't like either. What would be a good balance? I currently do 5-6/days per week 20-40 minute DVDs....I switch different ones everyday.....I have about 10 different ones.

You have a home gym, with free weights? Get yourself a copy of 'New Rules of Lifting for Women' and try that out. I hated P90X too, but I really loved 'New Rules'. I found that tracking my strength progression was really good motivation to keep going.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Cardio and weights affect the body differently. If you're primary goal is weight loss (scale value), then your best bet is to do no exercise and focus solely on your diet.

More realistically, people should understand that there are numerous benefits to exercise (be it cardio or strength training) and realize that weight loss/being healthy is lifelong, not a temporary thing. As such, they should do both types of exercise and realize that progress will be/should be slow.
  • poesch77
    Options

You have a home gym, with free weights? Get yourself a copy of 'New Rules of Lifting for Women' and try that out. I hated P90X too, but I really loved 'New Rules'. I found that tracking my strength progression was really good motivation to keep going.

Yes, a Weider Home gym.....thanks for the info on the book. I just need to find something that is gonna start the losing process again. I still have about 35-40lbs more to go.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I would do 2-3 days of cardio (whatever you want) and 2-4 days of strength training (heavy weights like starting strength or stronglifts, body weight routines like convict conditioning, resistance bands, all can be good options).
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I read on another forum that women take longer work outs to burn sufficient calories to lose weight. The trainer said that women do not start to burn stored calories until after 20 minutes of activity. So if your work out is 30 minutes, the first 20 is basically a warm up. So even though my circuit training is 30 minutes, I try to keep active after i finish it by doing house keeping or something like that.

Also, something else that I read, was that strength is important because weight training reshapes your body by improving muscle tone. Cardio helps burning the fat that is over the muscles to help them show through.

I don't know if either of those things help you or answer your questions, but they are things that stick in my mind.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    the more muscle you have the more calories you burn.

People tend to correlate cardio with weight loss because the calorie burn is very easy to quantify, so the info is there. However, lifting weights burns calories too AND builds muscle (which burns calories all day). The problem is, the calorie expenditure is much more difficult to quantify because there are a ton of variables. You burn calories when you lift as well as during the recovery afterwards.

Anyways, I wouldn't QUIT cardio, but I do recommend that you do a mix of both.

Gaucho rocks
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I would do 2-3 days of cardio (whatever you want) and 2-4 days of strength training (heavy weights like starting strength or stronglifts, body weight routines like convict conditioning, resistance bands, all can be good options).

And Jackson rocks!!
  • poesch77
    Options

^^^^thanks so much! I think..... M,W,F=Cardio and T,TH =Weights. How long on weights? 20 minutes?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

^^^^thanks so much! I think..... M,W,F=Cardio and T,TH =Weights. How long on weights? 20 minutes?

Weights, unlike cardio, shouldn't be based on time. Take as long as you need to get in a good workout. Spend some time reading up on routines, especially ones based on the big compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, overhead press). I find that 20 minutes is the LEAST amount of time I need to get in a decent workout, 30 minutes is more typical, and 45 minutes is pretty serious, but that's based on my routines, my rest times, etc.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

All depends on what you're doing, rest periods, etc.. I'd probably budget something more like 30-60 minutes. Hell I'm still doing warm-ups at the 15 minute mark.
  • poesch77
    Options
    I need a personal trainer. What kind of warm ups do u do? Can't u just start lifting?
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi, there is an link somewhere on this site that seems to explain why weight training is actually a preferred method. Im at work but i will dig it up later if someone doesn't already. Im still having this debate of what to focus on more. The article swayed me pretty heavily to weights tho.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    TurboFire is a really fun workout and the schedule is set up to combine cardio & strength training. I would suggest that before spending money on a personal trainer.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, all you need is a calories deficit.

Cardio (as well as being good for your CV system) helps to give you more of a deficit, so you can either eat more or lose a bit faster. But the weight you lose will be fat PLUS muscle.

Strength training (as was mentioned) is harder to quantify in terms of calories burned. But it is a fact that that muscles burn more calories than fat even while resting. And, by repeated use, your body is going to learn not to get rid of the muscle while on a calorie deficit. So, by doing resistance training, you (a) keep your muscle (b) burn more calories even when not working out, which equals higher fat loss and (c) will look great when you hit your target, because you won't be "skinny fat".

For warm ups, I do a few minutes of stretching, then start the first few exercises at lower weights (25% then 50% of working set weight).

If you have free weights, you can do Stronglifts or NROL4W, or find a plan here http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/ that you can probably modify for your home gym. I generally do strength training 3 x per week, and cardio on the off days (plus one day with nothing).
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I need a personal trainer. What kind of warm ups do u do? Can't u just start lifting?

If you follow Stronglifts 5 x 5, Starting Strength or NROL4W, it explains all about the necessary warm ups and that rate of progression of weights. There are also plenty of video's available for all the programmes on how to do the various lifts. I do Stronglifts 5 x 5 in my home gym.
  • choch80
    Options
    Try rowing. Concept 2 indoor rowers are the best value and rowing is one the best cardio workouts you can get. Also, since it is a full-body workout, similar to swimming, it will build muscle while burning a large amount of calories.