Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight Loss

Hi,

There's so much information on the internet that is so contradictory so I'm looking for a straight answer.

I'm 140lbs (ish - my scales move depending on how you stand so I stand on them in the same position every time to record my weight accurately) and I'm 5'7" so I'm a healthy weight but I feel like I could do with losing a bit, maybe about a stone ish just to feel better about myself. I'm 18 and have always wanted a flat stomach, dreamed, but never bothered. I don't really care about my weight, I just want to feel comfortable. You know?

I started eating a 1200ish calorie-a-day diet about 3 weeks ago now and I'm enjoying it. I genuinely feel slimmer etc. and surprisingly more awake! Probably because I've swapped chocolate snacks for fruit. Swapped biscuits for breakfast for fruit accompanied by cereal or granary toast.

There's one problem and I hate it.

I detest exercise. I know I need to exercise but I seriously can't find the motivation. 'Yeah I'll go up the tracks for a run in the morning' has been my thoughts every evening for weeks now and I just can't. I would probably be more likely to go if it were warmer outside but it's England and it's freeeeeeezing outside, like unbearable. I'm also super-self-conscious and have no sports gear and am too tight to go and buy some!

I think I know how to get around this though. I religiously get up at 6:30am every morning. I was thinking, how about I get up at 6:00am and do some skipping in my garden for half an hour, then have a cup of tea, then shower? I love skipping, well I did when I was little and have been into the idea of taking it up again in order to get fit.

Just to give you an idea as well, here's what I'd eat in a typical day:

Breakfast at 7:30am:
an Actimel yoghurt, a banana, a bowl of cereal such as Cornflakes, and a cup of tea with a little bit of semi-skimmed milk.
Snack at 11am:
an orange.
Lunch at 1:30pm:
a wholemeal pitta bread stuffed with tuna and salad.
Dinner at between 6 and 7pm:
something English, including meat, potato and three or four vegetables. (For example: chicken breast, mashed potato, brocolli, carrots, baby corns and mange tout.)
Oh, and all I drink is tea and water. About 1-2 litres of water and 2-4 cups of tea.

I'm so serious about losing my belly, I'd be so much happier with a nice body. Toned arms and legs wouldn't go amiss either!

Would a diet like this coupled with morning skipping achieve the body I want, and what kind of time scale am I looking at to lose, say, a stone? I can't abide the idea of intense mucle training, but I've always liked cardio, I was one of the top at cross country at school, so I can do it, I just need to get the motivation.

One final question. I would love some healthy low-calorie, delicious snack ideas.

Thanks!
Chloe

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    I'm so serious about losing my belly, I'd be so much happier with a nice body. Toned arms and legs wouldn't go amiss either!

Would a diet like this coupled with morning skipping achieve the body I want, and what kind of time scale am I looking at to lose, say, a stone? I can't abide the idea of intense mucle training, but I've always liked cardio, I was one of the top at cross country at school, so I can do it, I just need to get the motivation.

I would do some searching on here for TDEE and BMR calculators, and figure out your numbers then eat from a cut of your TDEE, add weight lifting (strength training) instead of skipping or cardio.. Its the best way to get what your wanting.. toned arms, and legs with a flat stomach.. Just losing weight probably isn't going to leave you satisfied.
  • Have you heard the saying that 'abs are made in the kitchen'? If you stay strict with your eating- as you seem to be, then your stomach should noticeably reduce in size and your abs will eventually be visible. Girls need about 15% body fat to see abs.
    Cardio has given me a flat stomach and it stays flat because i do some everyday. If you are serious about getting a flat stomach, then i'd consider it. Skipping is also a great form of cardio! Also, consider doing an ab workout a few times a week, in your bedroom even.. Can't hurt!
  • I lost the recent 17.4 lbs over the past 2 months (9 of em over the past 2 weeks) only exercising once (a couple days ago at the behest of MFPers).... you don't need to exercise but it's just better for your health.