How to get out walking again

Options
Hi all,

A brief biog: in May 2009 I was 301 lb. I started walking, at first a few times a week, and then pretty much every day, at least 5km, as fast as was comfortable. I started climbing the local "mountains" (hills, really) on weekends. I was amazed to find that after a while I actually enjoyed the walking and it improved my general demeanor/temper too. In 2010 I logged over 2,200km, and broke the 2,000 barrier again in 2011.

At first, the weight flew off, but after a while I found I needed to start watching what I ate as well in order to keep losing weight. But success continued, and by September 2011 I was down to 206 lb (95 lb lost).

It helped that during 2011 my wife was also trying to lose weight, with a family wedding coming up in August that year. However, once the wedding was done with, her impetus was lost, and mine went with it. Over the next 6 months I found I was missing more and more days of walking and my eating habits returned to the bad old ways. By the start of February 2013, I had regained 48 lb - back up to 254 :(

However, I have now regained some impetus, diet-wise and I have already managed to shed 10lb again. I have a fair way to go, just to get back to where I was 18 months ago, and even more to reach my actual goal (another 64 lb).

My big problem is that I just can't seem to drag myself out on these cold, wet days and restart my walking. I know that I really need to get out there if I'm to continue to lose at a decent rate, but I just can't force myself out there. I need inspiration to get moving - how do others gee themselves up to exercise? Help!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Take an indoor "walk" when the weather is really bad. OK - this isn't just walking, it's side steps & knee lifts too ..... but it's easy and keeps me moving.

One Mile Walk Challenge: http://www.walkathome.com/1-mile-walk-challenge/
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For me, setting a concrete goal makes a huge difference. I'm signed up to run my first 10k in April, and in order to be ready for it, I know I've got to stick to my training plan.

Maybe you can sign up for a 5k (most welcome walkers as well as runners) to give your motivation a boost?

Other than that...just do it!
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Are you an animal lover? I have a dog (a very active inside dog mind you) that HAS to be walked everyday.. atleast if not for exercise so he can atleast go to the bathroom. I think walking my dog has been the 100% best thing for me to get active and walk outside. You know since they are dependent on you, it gives you a sense of responsibility that you HAVE to do it, not just for your self but because thewell being of another thing depends on you getting your butt up and out the door :) Also there is an amazing program you can look up called "couch to 5k" that is a 9 week program and it does walk/jog intervals and builds you up to where you can jog for 30 mins straight at the end of the 9 weeks. I just started it and I am loving it!
  • JEKRUNS
    JEKRUNS Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find that if I just get up and dress in my workout clothes and build that gym time or walking time into my day, it quickly becomes a habit. I don't give myself a chance to talk myself out of it, I just kind of am on autopilot and into my routine. Good luck!
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I had to recruit a gym buddy. I have a treadmill and home gym set up in a spare bedroom, but couldn't get motivated to use it, even though it was only feet away. My nephew is getting married this year and wanted to trim up some, so I offered him free use of the gym if he agreed to come up at least 3x a week. After about 3 weeks, I was in the habit of exercising at 6:30 and now I go up 5x a week, and he still comes over 3x.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that 99% of the time, once I get out there, I'm gad I did. It is hard to motivate yourself when the weather's so bad. It sometimes takes me a good 10 minutes of arguing with myself in my head, but once I get out there, I warm up, and it feels good. It feels great when I get back home and shower and change into warm dry clothes and have a hot cup of tea. I feel proud of myself for getting out there. While I'm out there, I imagine everyone else who decided to stay indoors, and feel a little smug that I'm making the effort. :smile:

You've just got to do it though sometimes. Tell yourself that you'll just walk for a couple of minutes, and if it's really that bad, you can go home again. Chances are, you'll want to keep going. Just get out there. :flowerforyou:
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys! I know you're all correct, but then I know what the answers are really! It's just doing it!

What I found helpful before, and what I shall try again, was to always log my walks using a GPS tracker. The app I used to record them on my PC included little smiley faces that turned from yellow, through orange to red, depending on how far I walked. It sounds stupid, but I found that the action of logging them all and seeing those little orange faces helped me to focus on attaining my weekly goal of at least 35km. I've not got that app anymore, so this time I've been trying to keep a log in an Excel spreadsheet, but it doesn't seem to be providing the same level of motivation - I guess I miss my little smiley faces! lol...
  • wolfelements
    wolfelements Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I used to walk more often and plan to start it up again. I found what always helped me is music. Once I get dressed and put my earphones on, usually I have to move and it makes walking more fun.

I don't go out on the cold/wet days either, sometimes I consider this my off day for exercise and other times I find something else to do, like lift weights instead.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

A brief biog: in May 2009 I was 301 lb. I started walking, at first a few times a week, and then pretty much every day, at least 5km, as fast as was comfortable. I started climbing the local "mountains" (hills, really) on weekends. I was amazed to find that after a while I actually enjoyed the walking and it improved my general demeanor/temper too. In 2010 I logged over 2,200km, and broke the 2,000 barrier again in 2011.

At first, the weight flew off, but after a while I found I needed to start watching what I ate as well in order to keep losing weight. But success continued, and by September 2011 I was down to 206 lb (95 lb lost).

It helped that during 2011 my wife was also trying to lose weight, with a family wedding coming up in August that year. However, once the wedding was done with, her impetus was lost, and mine went with it. Over the next 6 months I found I was missing more and more days of walking and my eating habits returned to the bad old ways. By the start of February 2013, I had regained 48 lb - back up to 254 :(

However, I have now regained some impetus, diet-wise and I have already managed to shed 10lb again. I have a fair way to go, just to get back to where I was 18 months ago, and even more to reach my actual goal (another 64 lb).

My big problem is that I just can't seem to drag myself out on these cold, wet days and restart my walking. I know that I really need to get out there if I'm to continue to lose at a decent rate, but I just can't force myself out there. I need inspiration to get moving - how do others gee themselves up to exercise? Help!

Try Leslie Sansone walk at home DVD's....they're low impact, easy to follow and fun. And you will burn calories!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Try Leslie Sansone walk at home. I find the time goes really fast. She has a 30 minute two mile that is convenient for me time-wise. But she has many to choose from.