RE: Water Counter

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    A pound of ice weighs (on Venus) more than a pound of water (on Mars)....

Well a pound of ice on Titan weighs less than any of those.
    Both of our statements could be true or false depending on how you interpret everything. Like time travel, making those comparisons requires a new set of grammatical structures. :laugh: But such is the nature of water, hence all these threads trying to figure it out. :happy:

See this is why we need time travel or at least a better method to travel through space because then we could visit Titan and stick our tongues out to catch a few titan snow flakes and try to decide if its methane or water ice. But youre on to something...
    And with time travel, you could drink a glass of water, wait 30 minutes, travel back 30 minutes and then chew up a coffee bean, so that you could drink coffee and count it as water.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    A pound of ice weighs more than a pound of water....
    2 thumbs up!

Oh, and I don't drink water.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    A pound of ice weighs (on Venus) more than a pound of water (on Mars)....

Well a pound of ice on Titan weighs less than any of those.
    Both of our statements could be true or false depending on how you interpret everything. Like time travel, making those comparisons requires a new set of grammatical structures. :laugh: But such is the nature of water, hence all these threads trying to figure it out. :happy:

See this is why we need time travel or at least a better method to travel through space because then we could visit Titan and stick our tongues out to catch a few titan snow flakes and try to decide if its methane or water ice. But youre on to something...
    And with time travel, you could drink a glass of water, wait 30 minutes, travel back 30 minutes and then chew up a coffee bean, so that you could drink coffee and count it as water.

BRILLIANT! Next Noble right there
  • unapologeticallyemma
    Options
    ummm sorry to correct you but a pound is a pound no matter what its made out of...

but if you mean that a pound of water has less water content than a pound of ice you may be right but I'm not sure.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    ummm sorry to correct you but a pound is a pound no matter what its made out of...

but if you mean that a pound of water has less water content than a pound of ice you may be right but I'm not sure.
    If you search well enough you can find a ridiculously oversized thread where pedants purposely misinterpret the common statement on the forums that, "fat weighs less than muscle," reading it instead as, "a pound of fat weighs less than a pound of muscle," and then proceed to argue that a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. Then hilarity ensues. The water/ice comment was a parody of that argument.
  • Dawnymaries
    Options
    I only count water as water... juice or anything else is added into food log.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I only count a plain glass of water as water.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    when i was doing weight watchers the official standard was basically anything liquid LOL

Broth, soda, coffee, tea etc

but that being said- i count water separately even from diet tea etc-

now that being said i do add Mio to my water
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I count it as water if it's not included in whatever weight/volume I log elsewhere. So if what I log is a tea bag or mio concentrate or the ingredients for my homemade soup, I log the water I add under the water counter. If what I log is 8 oz of tea or sparkling flavored water or a bowl of soup as one unit, I don't count the water.

Of course, for me it's all about keeping track of what I'm eating, as everything I've seen tells me to put little value on getting 8 cups of water, and more on just keeping comfortably hydrated.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Water = water
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Here's how I look at it...

You wouldn't wash laundry or dishes with kool aid, or tea or coffee even if it's "made with" water.

IMO, clean, clear water is water. Everything else is a drink.

"The solution to polution is dilution".
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    medically speaking the drink 8-8oz glasses a day has no science behind it. It is one of those things that if we say it enough it becomes fact. I teach my patients that it is fluids in general that your cells need. We tell them that anything with caffeine does not count as fluid consumption because caffeine is more dehydrating. While water may be the best even fruit juice has water as main ingredient. I also don't like to count sweetened drinks such as soda and sweet tea.
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I dont count water i just bought a 5 Liter water tub for 1.29 and fill it up every day and dont go to bed til its empty :) no problems so far and ive been doing months ( am in the bog about 3 hours a day thou lol )
  • nezsorou
    Options
    I only count water as water, but it includes sparkling water such as LaCroix & S. Pellegrino, because sometimes I just can't stand plain water. ):
  • unapologeticallyemma
    Options

If you search well enough you can find a ridiculously oversized thread where pedants purposely misinterpret the common statement on the forums that, "fat weighs less than muscle," reading it instead as, "a pound of fat weighs less than a pound of muscle," and then proceed to argue that a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. Then hilarity ensues. The water/ice comment was a parody of that argument.

HHAHAHA yeah fair call
  • Girlikecupcake
    Girlikecupcake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In terms of the food diary here, if it's water, it's water. I list my mio/generic equivalent under snacks and up the water count accordingly, since the database listings have the nutritional info for the liquid in the bottle itself.

As for everyday water drinking, it depends on what it is, and what portion of it is actually water, and what is in it. Juice is not water, milk is not water, coffee is iffy and I'd rather count it as not water myself.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    medically speaking the drink 8-8oz glasses a day has no science behind it. It is one of those things that if we say it enough it becomes fact. I teach my patients that it is fluids in general that your cells need. We tell them that anything with caffeine does not count as fluid consumption because caffeine is more dehydrating. While water may be the best even fruit juice has water as main ingredient. I also don't like to count sweetened drinks such as soda and sweet tea.

I agree. Although I've found that I feel better, in general, and have less issues with chapped lips, when I drink about 8 cups of water a day. But the body has a certain amount it needs and the rest basically passes right through. Drinking more water won't "wash away the fat" or anything like that.

I think the tracker is there because proper hydration is part of a healthy lifestyle, and because often thirst disguises itself as a sweet-tooth (at least for me), so when we aim for 8 glasses a day, we're probably going to be doing better than if we don't. But there is nothing at all that says it has to be plain, unflavored, water.

And, there's no prize for hitting your 8 glasses, so it's not like you're "cheating" by logging Crystal Light, Mio, herb tea, or even (gasp!!) Diet Coke. And you're not necessarily cheating yourself either, because again, 8 glasses is ARBITRARY - it doesn't take weight, height, or activity level into account. Go by how your body feels. Floating away? drink less. Chapped lips or dry skin, or feeling thirsty or lethargic? You might need a bit more...
  • loic901
    loic901 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    and I wonder - do they say 1 cup is the avg 8oz glass? - or is it - like when i fill my glass of any size and finish it do i mark it then as 1?

1 cup is 1 cup.. approx 250 ml dunno how much in ounce... do the math :P
  • flicka11
    flicka11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Water is water, no juices count, bc of the sugars in them, or diet sodas. I have always thought you could count water, flavored waters (no sugars) crystal light, and I do count my crystal light tea. I think regular tea is ok too just not coffee, because of its added caffeine content.:smile:
  • gennafer731
    gennafer731 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    MFP considers 1 cup to be 8oz because your figurative glass gets full at 8 which is the recomended daily intake of 64oz. It starts to splosh out at 9.

I count things that are water with something brewed in it like brewed tea. I don't count any powder that you mix into water like swiss miss or iced tea mix. I also don't count drinks that have a lot of sugar or sweetener type things, like soda energy drinks etc. I do not count milk or anything that I buy in its finished form such as juice. Things that are more of a meal than a drink, like soup, shouldn't count even if it will help hydrate you because it has water in it. (Just to be ridiculous) I also don't count celery, lettuce, tomatoes and other fruit/veggies with high water content as a serving of water.

Yes you can argue that everything contains x amount of water and if it is a drink it most likely has a lot of water or started as water but alcohol starts as water and will dehydrate you. So I think that rational is to simplistic to be of use. Might as well argue that everything is made of atoms at its base form, yea it's true but what does that have to do with your diet?

The whole point of tracking your water is pretty much to remind you to stay hydrated, it doesn't really effect any of your stats in any way so track what you find helpful. Don't track silly things just to deceive yourself into thinking you drank enough while you have a raging dehydrated migraine or weight an extra 5 lbs today because you at too much sodium and not enough water.

Control your diary, don't let it control you!