Working out JUST to be able to eat more?

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I would often go for a half hour bike ride at 11:30pm to make up my calories on the motoactv which had a specific 24 hour window.

A bit silly, but also means that I get both more micronutrients (food depending) and more exercise.
    Providing you can consistently hit your goals, a good thing, I reckon.

On my Birthday I wanted to both have a really nice pub meal in the evening and still lose weight.
    Overall I ate over 5000 calories that day. And burnt over 6000 calories.
    Had a decent run (longest I've ever done) and bike ride (probably most calories burnt in one ride as it's really hilly around here).

I wouldn't agree with Reza151 that fitness happens in the kitchen. I've often met people that have criticised my diet who couldn't near match my athletic ability because they were effectively sedentary (and I'm far from athletically good - just maybe better than the average person that doesn't do anything specific.)
    Certainly would agree that the kitchen is very important for changes in weight.

And that it's easy (for me) to get used to eating quite a lot then having to make up after - while it meant I was doing plenty of cardio, I'm not sure I was really 'pushing' myself enough - I'd prefer my cardio to be intensive enough to be making decent progress, rather than just burning calories.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    <--- Will workout for wine. :bigsmile:
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do this. If I'm going to have a brownie anyway, better to burn off the calories than not.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I always work out to eat more, because I like eating. I also go to work every day so that I can pay my bills and live in a house, because I like living in a house.

No big deal, just do what's good for you.

I just LOL. I completely agree with you and really like how you worded it.

OP, I don't think that deciding to work out and burn an extra 300 calories a couple times a week because you want more leeway in your diet is a bad thing. I really like eating more food and plan to always be able to eat more food, so I exercise most days of the week and strength train to maintain LBM. Most days now I exercise because I also like how it makes me feel, but some days, like today, I just don't want to get out of bed but knowing that I can have XYZ if I work out helps me drag my behind to the gym.

I think it can be a slippery slope if EVERY time you have a treat or go over on calories for any reason you feel like you MUST burn those calories off. I also think it can be a slippery slope if you do get to the point where you are working out for hours a day every day of the week so that you can binge or overeat. Having a higher calorie treat in moderation is not either of those things.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the whole CI/CO thing.

You studied thermodynamics where exactly?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time, and don't consider myself to have an unhealthy relationship with food.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    sure, it works.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    ive got 120 calories left for the day. So will either work out or have a piece of bread for dinner i guess.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: It's okay to work out so that you can eat more as long as you don't beat yourself up and give yourself guilt trips (calling yourself fat, worthless, etc...) when you DONT compensate with exercise. If you feel you MUST compensate by exercise even if youre body isnt up to it, then there's reason for concern.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    ive got 120 calories left for the day. So will either work out or have a piece of bread for dinner i guess.

If i may, I'd recomend something lower in carbs. Even starchy vegetables would be better because at night, you're winding down and preparing to go to bed. Sure you burn calories while sleeping but not as much as when you are active, so the calories are more likely to be stored as fat.

(anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong)
  • nicnoc1981
    Options
    I definitely do this! But I suppose it's just about not doing it all the time.

Think, despite how much exercise you do, if you eat fried food everyday you are more likely to suffer from conditions associated with COPD etc like atherosclerosis.

But I am a strong believer in a little of what you fancy does you good! And if the little bit of what you fancy motivates some physical activity, then GREAT! :drinker:
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    <--- Will workout for wine. :bigsmile:

Sorry...had this mental image of you on a treadmill with a big bottle of wine in front of it. Like dangling a carrot. :)

Anyway...I don't see this being a huge deal. Is it any different than having a bit of a binge and then going to work it off later. You are just doing the exercise first because you know you are going to have a treat. I'm sure some psychologist somewhere could analyze it and make a big deal out of it but they can do that over just about anything.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Working out and eating more is healthier for you than eating less and not working out. As long as you're not making yourself crazy with it, like working out for hours and hours and then having a wild fast food binge, or using exercise as punishment for eating "bad' things I don't see what the problem is.

I do it all the time. On 1500 calories a day it's the only way I can manage to afford to join friends out for a beer or go out to dinner with my fiancee at a nice restaurant. It's a lot healthier to exercise to get those extra calories than it would be to starve myself all day to save the calories for later, and also more pleasant.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    meh, not a big deal. I always do a hard exercise if I know I'll be eating more than normal. the problem is when you eat something, and then feel the need to punish yourself or immediately make up for it with exercise.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You are not alone, I do the same thing, but with booze

I find working out gives me a mood boost that makes me relaxed without alcohol. But I've semi-convinced myself that a spiked latte is a good post exercise drink (protein + carbs) since food sounds disgusting for hours after working out. (I'm semi-kidding here)
    What do you spike it with, spiced rum in a latte sounds fantastic
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: It's okay to work out so that you can eat more as long as you don't beat yourself up and give yourself guilt trips (calling yourself fat, worthless, etc...) when you DONT compensate with exercise. If you feel you MUST compensate by exercise even if youre body isnt up to it, then there's reason for concern.
    Personally, I reckon I'd do better if I DID guilt trip myself more!
    I got to where I was fully knowing that I was eating more than I should be, but not feeling bad about it.
    But yes, if your body isn't up to it, then it's definitely time for a 'reset'.

After a while of doing the above, I was actually ill for a day (turns out that yes that bread WAS mouldy as my house mate said, not just flour dusted on) - I didn't eat much that day and reset myself to eating 1500 or whatever, rather than 2500-3000 and trying to make up the rest with lots of exercise.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Your friends are correct. Don't work out to earn food. You are not a trained killer whale and this isn't Sea World.
  • michaelrtuller
    Options
    Working out, treadmills and all exercise are all necessary and good for us. But, when you consider that it takes 15 minutes on the treadmill at 3.0 miles per hour to work off two ounces of half and half you put in your coffee, it's plain that lowering calorie intake is the only method that will work. choose your foods intelligently. Two cups of sushi rice are 600 calories! Who knew? Counting calories is the only way I've ever made any progress in losing weight.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I work out three times a week, regularly, and then any day I find myself craving a 300 calorie ice cream or something, I make sure I go to the gym and burn at least the amount of calories I intend on having. I was talking to some friends who are also watching their weight and said I'm walking a very tight rope? They think that the mentality of working out to eat isn't healthy. I ignored it until I recently saw the same topic mentioned in a thread about how many people develop unhealthy relationships with this kind of thinking. Opinions?

Check out the food diaries of some of the weight lifters here. They are rock solid and eat amazing amounts of food.

My only note of caution is you might not be burning as many calories as you think you are so if you're weight isn't falling try eating back half the calories you burn.