Heart rate monitor

Options
I finally broke down last weekend and bought a HRM. My wife had been telling me the calories counted on my treadmill were way off. This morning I wore the HRM as I walked. According to the treadmill, I burned 388 calories walking for 45 minutes with a 4% incline. The heart rate monitor said 502. Any idea which one is closer to being right? I'm male, 6'1" and weigh 234 lbs. The treadmill does not use weight in the calculation.

Replies

• scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    As long as you entered in all of your information correctly into the HRM, I would go with that value.

You can always double check it using this website

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • grammysboy
    grammysboy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    As long as you entered in all of your information correctly into the HRM, I would go with that value.

You can always double check it using this website

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
    You're right. The site said I would have burned what the monitor said. Thanks for the reply!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I finally broke down last weekend and bought a HRM. My wife had been telling me the calories counted on my treadmill were way off. This morning I wore the HRM as I walked. According to the treadmill, I burned 388 calories walking for 45 minutes with a 4% incline. The heart rate monitor said 502. Any idea which one is closer to being right? I'm male, 6'1" and weigh 234 lbs. The treadmill does not use weight in the calculation.

Probably the treadmill. Nothing has a more known/consistent workload than walking. Trust the machine.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Why? The HRM has no idea what you're doing.
  • grammysboy
    grammysboy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Probably the treadmill. Nothing has a more known/consistent workload than walking. Trust the machine.
    [/quote]

My wife (100 lbs lighter) uses the same treadmill and burns the same number of calories I do. If I throw a weighted vest on her will she actually be burning the same number of calories?