Low fat Gumbo!

Options
MamaFunky
MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
With today being Mardi Gras I was wanting to cook some good ole gumbo or something Cajun. I knew that the rue that traditional gumbos use always start with butter...lots of it...then brown the flour. I came across this recipe on the food TV Netwtork and it is on the stove right now....and tastes and smells fantastic!! I was SOOOO excited to see that you can brown your flour in the oven to make the rue. I barely used any olive oil to cook my celery and onions and it turned out awesome!!!

Just wanted to share this recipe with all the other foodies out there! People always ask my hubby how he stays so thin and in shape....his answer is always...My wife loves to cook, but she finds ways to do it healthier and it still taste great! This is one of those examples. Browning your flour in the oven, instead of in a stick of butter! :smile: now, we do love the occasional splurge with the butter, etc....but if I can be creative and cut calories its a win-win! :drinker:

oh...wanted to add....I didn't add all the extra seafood in the recipe. I used this as a base for a good Chicken and Shrimp Gumbo and it turned out great. I would love to try it with the crab and oysters tho! Sounds fantastic!

also....didn't use any butter at all...just about a tablespoon of olive oil.

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium onions, chopped
1 poblano pepper, chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups clam juice
8 ounces fresh okra, tops trimmed and halved lengthwise
3 bay leaves
1/2 lemon, juiced
Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
3 blue crabs, quartered, optional
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 dozen shucked oysters, liquid reserved
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 pound lump crabmeat
Serving suggestion: cooked white rice

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Put the flour on a baking sheet and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flour is a dark nut brown.

Meanwhile, in a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil with the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, pepper, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, crushing them through your fingers into the pot with their juices and cook for another 5 minutes. Gradually sift the browned flour in the pot until the vegetables are coated, cook for 2 minutes more. Slowly pour in the stock and clam juice, stirring constantly. Add the okra, bay leaves, lemon juice, salt, cayenne, thyme, and crabs. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.

Add the shrimp, oysters with their liquid, green onions and parsley; cook until the shrimp turn pink, about 3 minutes. Add the lump crabmeat and season the gumbo, to taste. Serve with rice.

Replies

• easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You say you didn't use butter. So in the ingredients list and directions you just omit the butter where you mentioned butter? Hmmm, may try to do this with chicken and shrimp as the meat and some kind of almond or whole wheat flour instead of all purpose. Where it says, "season to taste," are you just adding a basic creole seasoning?

Do you know the calorie count per serving? How large is each serving?
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump
  • murrayhambrick
    Options
    Bump ....... Anxious to see the Calorie count
  • MamaFunky
    Options
    Yes, I just omitted the butter all together. Just used a bit of olive oil to sauté the veggies. I am not sure of the calorie count. I am glad you pulled this post back up! I am thinking of making it this weekend for our tailgate, so maybe then I can tweak the written recipe and see if I can figure out the calorie count as I make it.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    NFW! Roux in the oven???? All this time I am reading this and thinking, no you didn't, no you couldn't and then the magic! Roux in the oven!!!

So many ways to make Gumbo...shrimp, chicken and sausage being one of my favs. This recipe just put gumbo back in the rotation! I cannot wait to try this.

Many thanks!
  • MamaFunky
    Options
    NFW! Roux in the oven???? All this time I am reading this and thinking, no you didn't, no you couldn't and then the magic! Roux in the oven!!!

So many ways to make Gumbo...shrimp, chicken and sausage being one of my favs. This recipe just put gumbo back in the rotation! I cannot wait to try this.

Many thanks!

I couldn't believe it either when I saw it, and then was amazed when we tried it! It was so good. I remember I couldn't believe how brown the flour turned...almost had a burnt smell, but it turned out great! I can't wait to hear how yours turns out!
  • easfahl
    Options
    OK, made this 2 night ago and it was AMAZING!!! And it was even better the day after.

I used Bob's 100% Whole Wheat flour instead of regular to make the oven roux, and made it with only chicken and sausage. It was a nice medium spicy to me (a spicy food lover) and I added a bit more cayenne pepper added.

Everyone's tweaked recipe will have slightly different macros, but with ~1 lb of chicken breasts and ~1 lb of Arkansas style sausage, plus using the low-sodium chicken broth, my recipe came out with the following stats per serving:
    258 cal
    30 g carbs
    12 g fat
    21 g protein
    976 mg sodium

My recipe made 9 servings of ~ 2 ladel servings (probably around 1.5 cups). I served mine over a quinoa for an added nutrition kick.
  • CrazyVulcanLover
    Options
    bump
  • lyssad2003
    lyssad2003 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! I LOVE GUMBO!
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    OK, made this 2 night ago and it was AMAZING!!! And it was even better the day after.

I used Bob's 100% Whole Wheat flour instead of regular to make the oven roux, and made it with only chicken and sausage. It was a nice medium spicy to me (a spicy food lover) and I added a bit more cayenne pepper added.

Everyone's tweaked recipe will have slightly different macros, but with ~1 lb of chicken breasts and ~1 lb of Arkansas style sausage, plus using the low-sodium chicken broth, my recipe came out with the following stats per serving:
    258 cal
    30 g carbs
    12 g fat
    21 g protein
    976 mg sodium

My recipe made 9 servings of ~ 2 ladel servings (probably around 1.5 cups). I served mine over a quinoa for an added nutrition kick.

How about your recipe? Sounds like something I would like to try!
  • easfahl
    Options

258 cal
    30 g carbs
    12 g fat
    21 g protein
    976 mg sodium

How about your recipe? Sounds like something I would like to try!

I just followed the OPs recipe with the following changes:
    - used Bob's 100% whole wheat flour instead of white all-purpose
    - omitted the butter as the OP suggested, and only used ~1.5 tbsps of canola oil to do the veggies.
    - omitted all the seafood or seafood juice
    - added 1 lb white chicken breasts, chunk shredded
    - added 1 lb Arkansas-style boiled sausage, cut into segments
    - doubled the cayenne pepper
    - used 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth

The only thing I'll do differently next time is double up on the chunk shredded chicken.

I served mine over quinoa instead of rice, but the macros I listed are just for the gumbo without any quinoa or rice.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Oooh! Once I get my hands on some okra, I am all over this new recipe! Thanks for posting :).
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!!

bump
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have always browned my flour dry in a skillet, but I'll have to try the oven sometime for a more hands off approach.
  • MamaFunky
    Options
    I posted this recipe last year for Mardi Gras and it was fantastic! I dug it up and am going to make it again tomorrow for dinner. I am a lot better with the recipe builder now, so maybe I can figure out the nutritional info for the recipe too.

Just thought I would pull it back out in case others may want to make it to celebrate tomorrow! :drinker: