Does anyone cook on weekends for the week?

Options
I'm hate to cook in general but it's even worse if I have to do it in the evenings. It's so much easier to stop and get fast food but I'm breaking that habit. What are some things that you make on the weekend and reheat during the week that still taste good?

Replies

• ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well generally, we save leftover meals form dinner and make frozen lunches for work. Also, I pack my lunch the night before some of the time because I hit the fitness center at 5:00am and work at 6:00am (I have a fitness center at work)

Also, I am lifting weights to build muscle and doing more cardio so I need about 3000 calories a day. In order to do that successfully, you just have to pre cook what you want to eat, or it will be difficult to meet your nutrition goals whether you are losing weight, gaining weight or just trying to eat healthy.

Get various sizes of plastic containers. Find meals that you like and portion them to your desired needs. Freeze and use as needed. Pack small snacks, like nuts, whole fruit, and stuff like that you can eat on the go.

I hate to list a bunch of things because we all like different things. Just use recipes you like and balance your protein, carbs, veggies to your desire.

By the end of the day today, I will have consumed 3500 calories. I roast a whole chicken a lot and so I end up with about 3 extra meals. I throw in a serving of frozen veggies and either wild rice, brown rice, or mashed potatoes. (I actually have chicken in the oven right now) :)

Best of luck. My diary is open for viewing.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big meal on Sunday and I have the leftovers the rest of the week. (or I freeze them) Since my husband is working out of town it's just me so the meals go a long way. I like to make burritos with rice, beans, cheese and freeze them. I also like to make soups, and pastas are always good reheated
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and if I had time, would cook every day. I have found some wonderful recipes that are healthier but are still on my favorites list. I generally cook enough for more than one meal. We eat and then I either freeze some of it or keep it out for left overs the next day or so.
  • heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If I know I am going to have a really busy week I may make a soup or something I can eat twice during the week, just incase I make it home too late for dinner.

I made some curry-thia-coconut and chicken soup sunday, so last night all I had to do was heat some rice to mix into it.
    Or some times I will buy a rotissierre chicken and cut it into 5oz bags so I can add it to tacos or sandwhiches for dinners or luches (they are just grab and go.)
    Making a pot full of noodles and measuring them out into single serving bags works too, then just reheat, add some olive oil, spinach, and parmasan cheese, whaa laah.. super quick.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    As much as it drives me nuts to do it on Sunday, I do prep and cook several meals for week on Sunday. I am glad I did during week to have good food and done. Also, cut veggies and make huge crockpot oatmeal for mornings. It works good,too busy during week to do, and at night I just want food when get home;-)
  • kkmonroe79
    kkmonroe79 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I cooked a big batch of chicken stir fry last Sunday, and found that it froze really well. I just put my portion size in small containers...easy to just grab and go. Soups are a great go-to as well.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Anything in the crock pot is great for weekends AND weekdays. I make large pots of soup that will provide a whole week's worth of lunches. I love being able to throw everything in the pot and leave it alone until it's done. I make all kinds: chicken, veggie, wonton, bean, split pea, etc. I also make chili and stew. Soups, stews, and chilis are also good for packaging as individual servings and freezing them. One of my favorite recipe sites is skinnytaste.com.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I personally make oatmeal everyday. I pack it dry with cinnamon (no sugar) and add hot water from the coffee maker at work. So this is easy to do. I personally wouldn't make oatmeal in advance. I would think it would get to "gluey" But I am sure some do this with success.

Another good grain you can easliy precook is barely or quinoa. I just made a weeks worth of barely for my wife last night. Store them in individual containers. A dash of cinnamon. Good stuff.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Yes, or use my slow cooker. If the temperature gets above 50, I'll grill a bunch of chicken breasts and any otther meat like turkey wings and freeze it. I just bought some containers, so now I can portion size my food and know exactly how many calories for each meal.

I don't have a lot of time to cook during the week, but more importantly I don't feel like cleaning up the kitchen, so the weekends give me more time to do both.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I make a big pot of vegetarian chili once a week, and freeze it in individual portions. It makes 8 servings! Just thaw one out each day, and heat it up. It may sound monotonous, but so is junk fast food, night after night, which is what I USED to do before I lost so much weight! The chili is hot, tasty, full of vegetables, and has become my new comfort food!

Back when I was a young working mother, I used to sometimes cook dinner up the night before. So, all I had to do was heat it up when I got home, and everyone was hungry. Then, I made the next night's dinner, AFTER eating. Unfortunately, I was too tired to always do that, even back then. But it worked, some of the time.
  • zaidae
    zaidae Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me.
    I cook every sunday different types of meat and keep in the refri until Thursday...pack individualy and keep it until use it.
    Best ones is the ones you cook in george forman grill.
  • RAREBIRDART
    RAREBIRDART Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I totally do! I make lunch for my boyfriend and I. We wraps for lunch (look at my diary) . I cook up one 9-10 oz porksteak, cut it into small cubes, and put in fresh celery (usually 3 stalks) and buffalo sauce 2 -3 tbls, and in the morning when i wake up, (literally takes me 3 minutes) i throw 1 1/2 tbls on a wrap (100 cal) with 1 tbls of light ranch and a handful of spinach and mung bean sprouts. 330 calorie wrap. We have it almost every other week. Very easy, and not a worry. :)
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I literally fill my fridge to the brim with foods that are ready to eat. I even portion them out so I don't have to spoon out a serving each time either. It takes a few hours out of my Sunday, but it is definitely worth it. Here's just the tip of the iceberg of what I make:

Turkey Meatballs
    Avocado, Egg, Tuna Salad (for sandwhiches)
    Sweet Potato Bites
    Peanut Butter Protein Bars
    Baked Vegetables (Brussels Sprouts, Asparagus, Zucchini, Carrots)
    Potato Wedges
    Protein Pancakes
    Zucchini Patties
    Lentil and Carrot Salad
    Spicy Quinoa
    Chocolate Protein Muffins
    Bison Burgers
    Turkey Burgers
    Quinoa Tuna
    Black Bean Avocado Salad

Oh the list goes on and on and on...................
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I usually cook 4 meals for the week on Sunday and sometimes breakfast and snack stuff too. It's a lot of work on Sunday, but totally worth the money it saves and the convenience for during the week. I get a lot of ideas from websites like skinny taste and skinny ms, and just make up my own sometimes.

Here is an example of what I cooked this past Sunday for this week:

Skinny Taste Picadillo and brown rice with a side of steamed broccoli (I just put the picadillo ingredients in the crock pot and put it in the fridge. The morning of the day we intend to eat it, I just put it on. Then that evening, I heat up the rice and broccoli.

Spaghetti Squash casserole with venison sausage, onion, tomato sauce and olives with a side salad of leafy lettuce, carrots, tomatoes and avocado (I just get the salad stuff washed and cut it all up the night we are going to have it).

Skinny Taste baked broccoli mac and cheese with a side salad of spinach and strawberries.

Venison Scotch soup with barley, carrots, celery, onion and venison stew meat with a side of steamed broccoli.

Friday we almost always have leftovers. I also generally get enough leftovers to bring in my lunches.

I also made pigs in a blanket with venison sausage for the kids to eat at breakfast and boiled eggs for everyone.

Finally, I made a batch of granola for snacks and breakfast.
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    I literally fill my fridge to the brim with foods that are ready to eat. I even portion them out so I don't have to spoon out a serving each time either. It takes a few hours out of my Sunday, but it is definitely worth it. Here's just the tip of the iceberg of what I make:

Turkey Meatballs
    Sweet Potato Bites
    Potato Wedges
    Protein Pancakes
    Zucchini Patties
    Lentil and Carrot Salad
    Spicy Quinoa
    Bison Burgers
    Turkey Burgers
    Quinoa Tuna
    Black Bean Avocado Salad

You are one organized person!
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb diet and hate cooking.

Every Sunday I roast two joints in the oven (my favourites are gammon and lamb leg), coo, wrap in tin foil and keep in the fridge. While they are roasting I make a big pot of low-GI vegetable soup, which I then liquidise.

Then Monday to Saturday I live on the soup, reheated pint by pint in the microwave, with a tablespoon of heavy cream and some dill mixed in, and slices of cold roasted meat. If it's gammon I cube it and put inside the soup and if it's lamb I have it hot on the side of the soup. Sometimes I have Polish sausage sliced in the soup.

If I need food to take out, I just slice some cold meat and put it into a plastic food box.

Each meal Monday to Saturday takes me about 3 minutes to prepare.

I believe my self-made diet is perfect in terms of nutrition and sustainability. It's delicious, easy, and I've lost 13lb in a month.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I do this.

Every weekend I will george forman some meat from the freezer, usually chicken breast or pork chops.

I cut them up throughout the week for salads and dinners etc.

I will also sometimes make a quinoa salad for the week

And, I find washing and cutting up all your produce the way you like it, will force you to eat it. I wash all my strawberries, cut up my pineapple, cut up my celery into strips, and I am good.
  • bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    Yes! I cook on Sunday for the week. I make turkey chili, turkey patties, some kind of soup and pre cut vegetables. I have my meals planned for the week, and each night I pack my lunch for the next day, as well as set out things for breakfast so there is no question as to what I'm going to eat. It takes some extra time on Sunday, but sets me up for a good week. I cook veggies the day of. Buy a bunch of tupperware!
  • violinkeri
    Options
    I slowcook chili on sundays a lot, and that makes 8 servings. i eat that ALL WEEK. also fairly lo cal and warm on these cold winter days :)
  • violinkeri
    Options

Turkey Meatballs
    Sweet Potato Bites
    Potato Wedges
    Protein Pancakes
    Zucchini Patties
    Lentil and Carrot Salad
    Spicy Quinoa
    Bison Burgers
    Turkey Burgers
    Quinoa Tuna
    Black Bean Avocado Salad

wow i wish i had a bigger fridge