Anyone Doing Low-Carb High-Fat?

Options

Replies

• sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It's actually one of the things this site tracks by default on the Printable Version of your Food Diary. Go to the bottom of the page on "Food" and click the orange "Printable Version" button...I think it's the last column.

Thanks, I didn't know that.
  • sallyaj
    Options
    Im doing it - lost around 9 lbs in 2 weeks... it's way way easier than low cal, high carb

Good for you! I hope I lose a few more pounds this week. But just knowing that it works and continues to keep working, I can be patient.

I can't believe how easy it is. No hunger.

I have been reading over at Dr. Peter Attia's Eating Academy site. When I think of how many insulin sensitive (and therefore overweight) people there are in the U.S. struggling to lose weight by restricting calories and fat and feeling like a failure, it makes me sad. I wish there was some way of letting them know to try LCHF.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    It is true that ketoacidosis can quickly kill you. However, the jury is still out on whether or not it is safe to be in ketosis for extended periods of time. To stay in ketosis would likely require severe restrictions on vegetables and fruits and that is an unhealthy diet over time
    That's really just not true. I eat all the vegetables I want on a daily basis and easily keep my net carbs at 30 grams a day. My vitamin A/C are generally at about 300% of recommended daily values ..... Even when I opt not to take the various supplements I usually take.

As far as fruit goes, it really should be a treat, not a part of all your meals. Unless you have very high energy needs, routinely eating fruit is way too much sugar and sugar is sugar, bottom line. America's obesity problem is directly traceable to too much grains and tto much sugar.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I am doing Keto, high fat low carb moderate protein... and its 'cured' my type II diabetes after 120 days all my lab work is better no more medication.. my energy levels are great, i no longer get heartburn and have lost 37 pounds in a little over 3 months... I get a lot of negative reactions from some people in my life but my response to them is 'FAT didnt make me FAT.. too many calories and too much food made me FAT'

Best wishes on your journey and feel free to add me as a friend if you would like
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Most days I am 10 carbs/25 protein and 65 fat! Bumped cals up to just over my BMR. Working great as long as I dont go way over on carbs except on lifting days! It does work as long as you are willing to make it a lifestyle. If you go back to full-time regular carb eating *like 40%, you will gain back.
  • ChaoticMum
    ChaoticMum Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can't get my carbs that low - I find I do better with the 75-100g range personally.

In regards to the fibre - I found that when I a) cut grains out and b) increased my fats, I no longer worried about fibre and have had better business in that 'area' then I have in many many many many years.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of doing that, but more focusing on upping the protein. My fat content goes up along with the protein, but the fact that I'm losing tells me that this formula is working for the time being. So I keep the carbs down, while keeping the protein and fat up.
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sort of- I find that I naturally stay below my calorie limit because I am satisfied from the foods I am eating (I still track to make sure I am meeting my needs and not going over- in my brain I should be over, but in reality I'm not) ; whereas when I was doing low fat I had to count every calorie in order to stay below my limit.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    i have been in nutritional ketosis for a little over a month now and lost 21 lbs..loving it!
  • hdutoit17
    Options
    I am on a low carb (20g net carbs) and high fat diet. Its working for me as well, but I am trying to make it good fats though - so no more eating the skin on the chicken or buying fatty biltong.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I do low carb, high fat, high protein and do well with it....but my guts are rerouted so they can handle the high fat intake because I only absorb about 20% of the fat that I eat. Make sure you are drinking ALOT of water so you don't get kidney stones.

:)

I forget exactly what my percentages are but I think last time I checked they averaged 15% carbs, 60% fat, 25% protein.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Buuuuump....I wanna see what other LCHF'ers have to say!!! :):)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Links to Krieger's analysis of Taubes book.
    http://www.weightology.net/?p=251
    http://www.weightology.net/?p=265
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I've been on a very low carb diet and in ketosis for 9 months. I am healthier than I have ever been. My diabetes is under control without medication. My total cholesterol, LDL and triglycerides all dropped and my HDL went up. My A1c went from over 8.0 down to 5.7. I have a Dr. appointment tomorrow and I'm expecting the A1c to be even lower. Increasing my fat macro has given me even better control of my blood sugars. My doctor wants me in ketosis until I reach a healthy weight. That is still a long way off but I'm a lot closer than I was 9 months ago.

Are there issues with a low carb/moderate protein/high fat diet? Yes: Better skin, better sleep, no bleeding gums, no sugar cravings, healthier hair, no feeling of deprivation, less aches and pains, no acid reflux, very little gas, no bloating, no swollen ankles, all the bacon I want... I could go on but that might get discouraging for some.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have just started LCHF and I am kind of clueless as to what to eat. I originally was doing low carb but my protein was through the roof, way to much in my opinion. My body stalled and I stopped losing weight for almost a full month. I am also not sleeping well even though I go to bed around 11pm. I am hoping this change will help me positively.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I have just started LCHF and I am kind of clueless as to what to eat. I originally was doing low carb but my protein was through the roof, way to much in my opinion. My body stalled and I stopped losing weight for almost a full month. I am also not sleeping well even though I go to bed around 11pm. I am hoping this change will help me positively.
    My diary is completely open to anyone to view, if you want an idea of what to eat if you are pursuing LCHF. From an earlier post, here's the diet for LCHF in terms of foods to incorporate in your life and to avoid.

Avoid at all costs because it's horrible for our bodies
    - wheat, barley, rye in any form
    - beer
    - bread
    - cake
    - pasta
    - anything soy based
    - all vegetable "oils" .... yet another way to turn grains into food
    - any other way that people make grains into food.

Neutral foods - high in carbs, but no gluten, etc. Eat these sparingly and be conscious of the amount of carbs in them
    - rice
    - quinoa
    - root vegetables: sweet potatoes, rutabagas, kohlrabi, parsnips, carrots and so forth

Treats to be eaten sparingly:
    - berries like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.
    - apples
    - other fruits you may enjoy: mangos, pineapples, kiwis, etc.
    - citrus fruits - very sparingly unless you need carbs/sugar for a specific reason.
    Fruits have a lot of sugar in them and should be a treat, not a regular part of meals. Use them as rewards and desserts. On Sunday nights, when I've had a good week, I eat a cup of strawberries, with a tablespoon or two of heavy cream over the top. Delish! When I was a kid, dessert was a once a week, or so, treat and I've gone back to that routine.

Good foods - carbs plus fiber from vegetables
    - broccoli, broccolini
    - green beans (avoid other sorts of beans, lecithin in legumes is not your friend)
    - brussels sprouts
    - cabbage
    - lettuce
    - asparagus
    - squash of most sorts
    - cucumbers
    - and so forth and so on

Protein
    - Meat from ruminants - beef, bison, lamb, venison, elk, moose .... i.e. the red meats
    - poultry ... with the skin on!
    - pork .... bacon is nom nom!
    - fish - avoid farm raised
    - nuts like almonds, cashews, pistachios
    - poultry eggs - preferably organic and free range

Fats
    - grassfed (or organic) butter, cream, ghee
    - coconut oil, palm oil
    - olive oil
    - animal fats

Certainly not exhaustive .... but if you were to only stock these things in your house, you would absolutely eat low carb, high fat, moderate protein and you would also eliminate many of the worst things we put in our bodies.

For more details, see Mark's Daily Apple (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/) or Gary Taubes (http://www.garytaubes.com/)
  • sallyaj
    Options
    I am doing Keto, high fat low carb moderate protein... and its 'cured' my type II diabetes after 120 days all my lab work is better no more medication.. my energy levels are great, i no longer get heartburn and have lost 37 pounds in a little over 3 months... I get a lot of negative reactions from some people in my life but my response to them is 'FAT didnt make me FAT.. too many calories and too much food made me FAT'

Best wishes on your journey and feel free to add me as a friend if you would like

Meghan, that is amazing! My brother was just diagnosed with type II. I will tell him about this. Thanks!
  • sallyaj
    Options

I'm not missing the wine...I'm drinking it!

I plan to add a glass of red daily as soon as I reach my weight goal! It's only 4 carbs. I'd happily give up the macadamia's for it.
  • sallyaj
    Options
    I am on a low carb (20g net carbs) and high fat diet. Its working for me as well, but I am trying to make it good fats though - so no more eating the skin on the chicken or buying fatty biltong.

I was worried about the type of fat -- until I watched the documentary Fat Head. Changed my life.
  • sallyaj
    Options
    I just started low-carb high-fat also..Its called "The serial killer diet" from the martin clinic..The only thing is im really confused as to what to eat..I am supposed to stay under 30 carbs a day til i start burning fat ,then up to 120 i believe..also have a cheat day which i really love..But if anyone has any suggestions it would be great:)

Love the name! That sounds like what I'm eating. I opened my diary if you want to see. I'm really loving my food, not feeling deprived, and I lost another half pound today!!!