extreme constipation from narcotics

Options
Hey all!! I just had surgery and am extremely backed up from my pain pills. Its been a week now since the surgery and still nothing!! Part of me is extremely happy because when I go its going to make my surgery site extremely painful and put me through a hell I don't want to go through right now. The other part of me is worried mainly because I haven't actually passed a bowel movement in a week.
Long story short, when I pass a bowel movement my surgical site is about 2 centimeters away from my rectum...and I have a fear that I am going to be in so much pain from trying to pass it im going to pass out in the bathroom.

Does anyone have any tricks to help REALLY soften a stuck stool that may help my pain.

Replies

• Maxibris
    Maxibris Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Laxatives seem like a pretty obvious solution to me....?
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    MiraLax is an over the counter "osmotic laxitive" which basically just means it is a stool softener (usually that will cause you to have a bowel movement). It is a powder that you add into a drink sort of like a fiber supplement except that it attracts water to your bowels.

Really any stool softener should help keep it from being too painful. Hope that helps!
  • leblanc_kelly88
    leblanc_kelly88 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Im sorry i should have been more specific. when i hear laxatives i instantly think something that is going to just make me explode... im not looking for something that will do that. i just need something to loosen it up - not keep me on the toilet for hours
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I went through this too when I took morphine after my back surgery. They should be giving you stool softners like senacot. Even with the softners it can be difficult. I ate raisin bran and drank 1/2 cup of prune nectar every day. It took about 3 days to kick in then things were much more comfortable. You should probably contact your surgeon and see what they suggest. You may need a suppository. I know it is the last thing you want when you are already going through so much! ((hugs))
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Milk of Magnesia. Prunes. Prune Juice.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    CALL YOUR DOCTOR! Right now!! A week is way too long, especially after surgery! After my surgery in 2011, I got so backed up I had to go to emergency, with fecal impaction. I also strained so much I gave myself hemmorrhoids! It is scary when you are afraid that going will hurt you, but trust me, NOT going is a bigger problem!
  • auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Smooth Move Tea!! I drink it once a week!!!
  • pepeleo
    pepeleo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ask your Doctor for proper advice.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Stool softener is different from a laxative - look for one at your pharmacy or call your surgeon and tell them you need a prescription.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Fiber.

Call your Dr first. This could mean something.
  • pepeleo
    pepeleo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ask your Doctor for proper advice.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. Take stool softeners. And WALK, WALK, WALK.
    Walking helps get things moving again.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm with ChristinaL up there. MiraLaz. It's not exactly a regular laxitive. I had to check this b/c recently I had a similar issue with a medication I was on. Holy mother, so painful. I used MiraLax. Noty sexy but it's the truth. It's different b/c it's designed to keep your intestines hydrated - that's how it "softens."
    Keeping hydrated also. Even though it's gross, drinking gatorade helps.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    My boyfriend used to have this problem on heroin. Mineral oil always worked for him.
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Im sorry i should have been more specific. when i hear laxatives i instantly think something that is going to just make me explode... im not looking for something that will do that. i just need something to loosen it up - not keep me on the toilet for hours

This isn't for everyone, but I would recommend an OTT saline enema. Not the most fun way you'll ever spend 15 minutes, but very effective and works RIGHT AWAY. You can get them at any drugstore. I have not found they cause an "explosion" but they do work in a pinch (sorry, I couldn't help it! Sometimes a topic like this needs a little humor....) Anyway, good luck. I definitely know what you are going through and it is the worst. This is nothing to take lightly - trust me! The last time I let it go too long I had doctor's orders to do back-to-back colonoscopy preps (GoLytely or something like that).

Best of luck!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend a laxative if things feel "stuck". You need to hydrate your bowels with either an enema or Milk of Magnesia. A laxative will just make you super crampy, and you could end up backed up and even more miserable because everything's stuck behind the dry stool that's obstructing your rectum.

Give the Milk of Magnesia a few hours and follow the directions. Drink lots and lots of water, as the MoM draws water from your body into your bowels. If nothing happens after 24 hours of using MoM according to the directions, you can either try to use a latex glove and remove it manually (I know I know) or you can go to the hospital and have a nurse do it (which may be safer, as they can be cautious around your surgery site, whereas you can't see it).
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options

This isn't for everyone, but I would recommend an OTT saline enema. Not the most fun way you'll ever spend 15 minutes, but very effective and works RIGHT AWAY. You can get them at any drugstore. I have not found they cause an "explosion" but they do work in a pinch (sorry, I couldn't help it! Sometimes a topic like this needs a little humor....) Anyway, good luck. I definitely know what you are going through and it is the worst. This is nothing to take lightly - trust me! The last time I let it go too long I had doctor's orders to do back-to-back colonoscopy preps (GoLytely or something like that).

Best of luck!

OMG, I meant OTC not OTT! They are Over The Counter, not Over The Top (although it might feel that way when you're done).
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. Take stool softeners. And WALK, WALK, WALK.
    Walking helps get things moving again.

Yes, this. I would avoid fiber right now.....it will just clog you up. Wait until you can go. Call your doctor!
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Dulcolax is very gentle, won't cause cramping and won't cause a total blowout. Take it before bed and things will be moving better in the morning. Then hydrate like crazy!!!!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Ky jelly and a finger up your back door.