Compulsive Exercise

PattyTheUndefeated
PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
According to some research I've done, compulsive exercise is anything over two hours a day or exercise that expends more than 3500 calories in a week which can then lead to insomnia, stress fractures, osteroperosis and heart problems, so why do Biggest Loser contestants or athletes exercise/train all day? Doesn't all that marathon training put their bodies at risk?

There are so many contradictions out there. I sometimes spend three to four hours a day at the gym. Does that mean my body and bones won't get stronger but actually give me osteoperosis, injuries, or a heart attack? And how and why does it affect your heart? I thought a low heart rate was a sign of fitness and not imminent death.

I'm confused and don't want to drop dead at the gym. Just wondering what exactly is too much and if there's a clearer definition of compulsive exercise?

Replies

• TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    This, like 'starvation mode', seems to be in debate. Curious to see what people say about this too. Because I find that I feel like a slug if I don't work out every single day.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    This, like 'starvation mode', seems to be in debate. Curious to see what people say about this too. Because I find that I feel like a slug if I don't work out every single day.

Same here!
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Gah! I really hope someone answers! :-(
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    I've trained for half ironmans where I worked out for 2-4 hours a day, and now I spend up to 2 hours doing cardio and lifting...I also have friends that train for 5-7 hrs/day for ironmans...the key is proper nutrition and adequate rest. Weight bearing exercises increase bone mass, but overtraining with lack of nutrition can cause the opposite effect. I personally feel best when I don't lose more than 1-2 lbs per week, get adequate sleep (n hard days I need 9 hours), and take 1-2 days off from the gym (taking off doesn't mean you don't have to move, on off days I usually go on a walk with my husband or do some yoga and stretching :smile: ) Make sure you meet your nutritional needs with fruits/veggies/protein/vitamins/whole grains, aka if you work out for 2+ hours don't only eat 1200 cals, and take necessary supplements (snacks, electrolytes, etc) :drinker: Hope this helps!
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Oops sorry a couple other things I forgot to add, my heart rate's around 55 bpm and sometimes lower when i'm training for endurance races, and every time I go to the dr they ask if I'm a runner/workout a lot (yep), and they say it's fine. Something to help see if you're overtraining is to take your resting heart rate when you wake up in the morning. If I notice it increasing at this relaxed state over a few days (it's usually around 55, but if I overtrain/am too fatigued it can be closer to 60-62), I cut back a little bit with the workout lengths and/or intensity.

I love watching the Biggest Loser, but something to realize with that show is they have 24 hr supervision with dr's, trainers, and therapists. Their circumstances aren't the norm and duplicating what they do may be harmful without proper supervision/instruction/care. (even on the show some of them get stress fractures and injuries d/t the intense training) If you're a beginner work up to longer/more intense workouts, give yourself adequate rest, make healthy nutrition choices, and aim for safer weight loss goals each week. It's all about making permanent, healthy lifestyle change, taking care of and appreciating our bodies! :flowerforyou:
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    heart problems bone problems etc are the result of malnutrition caused by exercising to much so if you up your calories you should be fine.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Compulsion refers more to WHY you do something rather than just the quantity.

There are always people who feel the need to randomly criticize any health advice. Their reasons and emotional insecurities are usually immediately transparent. In almost every case, the "article' says far more about THEM than it does the alleged "topic" they are writing about.
This discussion has been closed.