Tracking Sugar?

Options
I just started looking at my sugar intake - it is suggested to be 40 g per day, and I simply CANNOT get it anywhere close. Just an apple is 12 g! Does anyone else track their sugar - and if so, what do you find to be a reasonable intake?

Replies

• nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Last year during my vast amount of weight loss i was told by doc and dietitian to keep sugar content of anything i ate to 9 grams per 100 cal...except fruit. and when choosing fruit choose the lesser cal/sugar ones. I ate 1200 cal at that time and always had at least 2 fruits a day sometimes 3 and my sugar content was rarely over 40. it can be done...u have to read labels..compare n choose wisely.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It's hard! When I eat things low in sugar they're incredibly high in salt, and vice verse.

I'm not too worried about the sugar intake, just as long as you're not going over like... 80+ I wouldn't worry.
  • smcturbo
    Options
    That's what I had been around - 80. Thanks!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I've read on here not to count the sugar in fruit.
  • evemarie1103
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is fine! It's natural. The sugar you should worry about is the processed, refined white sugar, etc. If most of your sugar is from fruits, I wouldn't have a concern.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is fine! It's natural. The sugar you should worry about is the processed, refined white sugar, etc. If most of your sugar is from fruits, I wouldn't have a concern.

Correct, the sucrose in your sugar bowl is so much different than the sucrose in your fruit, both chemically and metabolically speaking
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb. Track your overall carbs and use a little common sense. Don't get hung up in details that don't matter.