Overhead press problem

Ok, this is my first topic on here, so please be gentle.

I have been doing a circuit-style workout with my personal trainer. Right now we are doing a combination of "strength ropes" (not sure what they're called) and high-rep lifts. I am fine until we get to the overhead press. No matter what weight I lift, I start feeling very quickly like I can't breathe. It feels like there isn't any room in my chest for my lungs to expand. I will bring this up with my trainer next time, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask if anyone else had this problem or had any ideas how to remedy it? Right now I just suck it up, since I'm only doing them for 30 seconds, but I'm sure I could go up in weight if I could fix this problem. I stretch pretty thoroughly beforehand and don't seem to have problems with any other exercises.

Thank you!

Replies

• Uh... Bump?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Stretching (unless dynamic stretching) isn't really a good way to warm up. Simulating the movements you will be doing with no weight is a good way. And DON'T ever be afraid to discuss an exercise with your trainer if you feel uncomfortable with it immediately. Trainer don't know the pains or issues you may feel when you do a lift and some lifts aren't made to be done for everyone.
    I am assuming why you feel you can't breathe is because you're a "top lung" inhaler. You haven't learned yet how to use your diaphragm to pull air into your "lower lungs". Practice by feeling your lungs expand and your abdomen pushing out as you inhale.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    The OHP (as well as many compound lifts) demand a lot from the abdominal and other 'core' muscles. If you watch most people lifting, they will take a deep breath before they shove or pull the weight. As another example, try breathing while in the middle of a heavy deadlift. It doesn't work so well.

'Breathe in when the weight is down, blow it out as you execute the lift' is what's worked for me.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Definitely check your breathing.
    And try warming up beforehand by doing the movements with a very light barbell or even with a broom handle.