Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Rest Days

Hello, hello.
Just wondering if everyone takes a rest day a week, and what do you do on those days? I know my brother does absolutely nothing, but sometimes I find myself going for a walk, even if it is just for half an hour.
Do you think that rest days are necessary? And if so, what do you do?

Replies

• Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Thursdays are my rest days! mainly because I'm tired and want to go home! and most weekend days as i live a good 20min tram ride to the gym! but i do walk on at lest one of those days even if its just around the city walking to the supermarket etc.

I have been wanting to get up and go for a run/walk sat or sunday mornings but i love my sleep in way to much!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    I workout intensely 6 days a week so I have Sunday as a rest day and do nothing.....usually. Every few weeks I take a full week off from lifting but I will do a little cardio.
  • Having an entire week off sounds like a brilliant holiday! I keep thinking that I should do absolutely nothing.
  • labellecanuck
    labellecanuck Posts: 105 Member
    I don't take prescribed rest days, but in the past month or so there have been a couple times I was too lazy to go to the gym so I just did videos on youtube instead.
  • I workout fairly hard, and I use rest days, I don't schedule them but take them when I feel I need one, usually about once every 10 days or so. I don't workout on those days but I will still do stuff. I do a lot of cardio, and lift maybe 3 days a week sometimes I skip one or two days between lifting but still do cardio
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    I go to the gym 6 - 7 days a week. I find if I take a full rest day and do nothing I get out of routine if my body is really screaming for a break I'll take it easy just do a yoga class or do a short run or walk on that day.

I enjoy exercise and going to my gym as well so that probably is another reason why I go everyday.
  • soni_me
    soni_me Posts: 95 Member
    I do work out 6 days a week with 1 rest day, but often on my rest day I walk or do a short cardio workout. I've gotten into the habit of exercise and just want to every day, even if it is just light cardio. If I feel I need the rest, I do nothing.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Sunday is my rest day,so I only do walks,biking, and yoga (usually).
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    I run 5-6 days a week (usually 6) and do Pilates or yoga and a little upper body work 2-3 times a week on my lighter run days. If I run 5 days I'll do some other cardio on one non-running day (like stationary bike). I try to take one complete rest day per week to let my body heal and recover, but I also listen to my body and if I feel really run down I'll take another. I also have a cut back week every 4 weeks or so where I reduce my running mileage to give my body a break.

If my body tells me I need a rest day, I don't do anything but rest. On my scheduled rest day, if I feel really restless I might go for a walk--not a power walk, just a couple of miles at a stroll, like walking to the grocery store and back.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    I try to rest once a week and usually it's a Sunday which is family time and mostly just chilling out at home, usually have family visit us. I enjoy cooking so usually keep busy making the Sunday roast and maybe some baking. Still often get a walk in with the dog or a half hour of pilates but neither of those are particularly energy burning activities so I consider them a rest.
  • I take a rest day, it allows your body to repair itself! in building it up, you do put additional stress on yourself.

That said, I have taken to a good walk on a rest day, makes me feel better!
  • So it sounds like most people have rest days but still do something a little gentle. I ended up taking a rest day this week because I had neuralgia running from my knee down, and when I noted my weight the next day I saw a pattern. I actually drop more weight if I have a rest day.
    Yes, I know I shouldn't weigh myself every day but it gives me something to be obsessive about other than calories.
  • elissiara
    elissiara Posts: 28 Member
    I work out hard 6 times a week and normally take my rest day on a Sunday but I struggle to keep with it I find I feel guilty or antsy and end up going to the gym anyway even though I have seen for myself that when I take a rest day I have a good weigh in.
    Its good to take a rest day though for the muscles to repair.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    i alternate longer/harder work outs with lighter ones, so i guess it's more like recovery days. i don't like to schedule rest days in. So i just keep going like that until my body tells me it needs rest. then i rest.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    yep. I have 2 or 3 rest days a week. Body needs time to heal. However some weeks I have 5 rest days, and some I have none. All depends on how I feel.

For weight loss (and muscle gain) diet is more important than the amount of workout anyway. If you eat much better you will need fewer rest days to heal
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    I take at least one rest day a week and about every 4 weeks I take a break for a week, doing stuff, but just different stuff other than the Insanity I have been working on for 6 months. This also helps me from becoming bored with what I do. Good luck and I believe rest days are important to keeo you sane and safe! :O)
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    On a rest day I usually walk as well, just nothing strenuous. Your muscles need time to repair and recover once in a while :D