Protein

Options
Does anyone else consume in excess of 100 gr. of protein a day? This is the minimum amount that my Doctor recommended today and she told me the optimum amount would be closer to 110-120! I have been trying to eat more turkey, chicken fish, beans etc... I have also tried protein bars and try to incorporate as much protein as I can in every meal. Any suggestions on ways to do this without drastically increasing my calories, I already had to increase them from 1200-1320.

Replies

• CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Whey protein shakes. That's the only way I can get enough protein.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    They are really filling, so you can actually replace a meal with one!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    Eggs are easy, fast, versatile. Greek yogurt....or any yogurt, really. Cottage cheese.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    egg whites are awesome!!!! I use them heaps!
    Even to put in a smoothie.. egg white omelette, hardly any calories and very filling
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Great Protein Sources;
    - Eggs
    - Cheese
    - Beans
    - Nuts & Seeds
    - Yogurt

Keep in mind they all contain calories but moderation is key :)
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Every week I get a ton of chicken breast which I bake all at once, and eat over the following week. I try for 150g a day minimum. Eat meat with every meal and it's pretty easy, if the meat is low in fat you won't add as many calories.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    egg whites are awesome!!!! I use them heaps!
    Even to put in a smoothie..

You want to be careful about using raw egg whites for two reasons: 1) the strong possibility of them being contaminated with salmonella (I believe about half of tested eggs turn up positive for salmonella. 2) Raw egg whites will make you very sick over time as it will rob your body of biotin. Raw egg yolks are fine on that score, however (the salmonella contamination could still be a problem though).
  • sharonKay65
    sharonKay65 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I have been buying the "all whites" egg substitute and I love making omelets with them. I also bought some Greek Yogurt yesterday and I too cooked up several Chicken breast tonight just to have on hand to add to salads or whatever I can. I also went back in to settings and set my calories back to 1200, only this time, I thought I will use that as a starting point and if I honestly see that I need to increase it slightly then I will try to do it gradually and only as much as I really need to. I think the most important thing I am learning is now more than ever, I really need to make every calorie count and to be honest, it has really became a challenge but one that I enjoy. I find myself reading every label in an effort to better educate myself and really make lifestyle changes.... not just go on another diet. I watched Dr. Oz today and Marilu Henner was on and she said something that I really thought made a lot of sense "progress not perfection" and I thought to myself, I should start asking myself every morning "what can I do better today than I did yesterday"
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    What helped me was studying my Food Diary. Log everything, weight and measure all your food. Then study it. You'll find patterns.

Wait till you start worrying about getting enough Vit C, Iron, Potassium, B Vitamins, Calcium, Fiber, Vit A.

You will discover there is always more tweaking. It's a Rubic Cube.
  • KamalBhai
    KamalBhai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Apart from the meat....."Soya Chunks" if available in your city / country, could be a good source for protein....you will get 50 gms of protein from eating 100 gms of Soya Chunks. :)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else consume in excess of 100 gr. of protein a day? This is the minimum amount that my Doctor recommended today and she told me the optimum amount would be closer to 110-120! I have been trying to eat more turkey, chicken fish, beans etc... I have also tried protein bars and try to incorporate as much protein as I can in every meal. Any suggestions on ways to do this without drastically increasing my calories, I already had to increase them from 1200-1320.

It shouldn't be too bad to get 100gr+ of protein a day.

Chicken breast alone is 35 cals per ounce and over 5gr of protein, Tuna is high in protein. Just have you look at what you are eating.

If you are eating chicken, fish, tuna, pork loin, and etc. every meal and trying to eat at least 4oz a meal you should be hitting your goal really easily. Cottage Cheese is high in protein, some greek yogurts, and etc. Just at 4oz. a meal X 3 meals that would be 60gr of protein if you got protein from no other sources. If you plan ahead a bit you can do it!