Truck Driver lack of opportunity to work out

My husband and I are truck drivers. As often as I can I walk the dog. Hard to messure miles around a truck stop. Other than that not much. Any ideas for a small space for target exersizes

Replies

• I would go more with time and speed instead of how many miles. When I walk I normally do at least 30 minutes at a brisk pace where you can still carry on a conversation however it should be little difficult because you should be slightly winded. Also I use to ride with my hubby on the truck and we would also park all the way in the back ( yes I know this is hard sometimes because of weather or such) but, this also gives you more opportunity to get more excercise. Also depending on the type of truck you have you can do standing pushups off of the cabinets inside the truck or off the side of the truck on the outside. You can use running boards as a type of step exercise you step up with one foot then down and repeat with the other one. Also when we could we would park at rest areas that had a walking track around it. Also if the running board steps are to advance then u can also use the curb as as step. You can also roll up the landing gear with one hand and then roll it back down to help with arm exercises. I also believe there is a website that you can search online that will give you exercises for truckers. This is only one type of website. I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
    .www.thehealthytrucker.net/truck-driver-exercise-routine
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Whenever you stop, lap your truck a few times. Its not much but it adds up. Who cares what people think.
  • You can bring 3 pound dumbells with you in the truck and do a variety of arm/shoulder exercise while in the cab. You could also bring a resistance band with you and incoporate a variety of exercises for legs.

The suggestion about cranking up and down the landing gear was great too!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    They make adjustable dumbbells that go up to 50 lbs., and weighted vests that go up to 40 lbs. Grab a couple of each of those. Throw the vests on when hitting laps, the dumbbells can be used for a variety of lifts within the space of a condo sleeper (assuming you have one), or outside during layovers.

The biggest things is to just start doing something. Being a driver myself, I know how obnoxious this can be at times. Fortunately, my work is all local, so I can still go to the gym, but I definitely sympathize with those who can't.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    I found a few links that may help you. They are all exercises you can do while you are seated in the truck. I hope they help!

http://www.symptomfind.com/healthy-living/exercises-while-driving-to-work/

http://voices.yahoo.com/exercises-car-passengers-drivers-maintain-energy-4930522.html?cat=22

http://kodjoworkout.com/2012/03/car-exercises-5-easy-exercises-you-can-do-in-your-car/

If you're looking for more, just Google "exercises to do in car."
  • ltowns11
    ltowns11 Posts: 134 Member
    Some truck stops are putting in workout facilities, have you looked into some of these?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Some truck stops are putting in workout facilities, have you looked into some of these?

Ehhh, the problem with that is that most drivers don't have much of a choice when it comes to their stops. They run until they are out of hours, then they have no choice but to stop (or run two log books, but since that's illegal I won't be discussing it here). Basically, until most stops have it, it won't be a reliable option.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Jump rope
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Calisthenics, jump rope, portable dumbbell sets.

It's tough, but doable.
  • You can also do squats. I do them sometimes, facing front while holding onto the bunk behind me. I do crunches on the bunk modified push ups with my feet by the shifter & my hands on the bunk. I use the step to do stretches. When climbing in or out, put your toes on the edge of the step and let your weight rest on them, while holding on, it stretches your hamstrings really well. Don't waste your money on the "Truckercise" video that is out there. I did, it is practically worthless. Watch some YouTube videos and think if there is a way to modify them to the space allotted. We do try to use the TA/Petro fitness rooms when available. Get creative and share any ideas you come up with. I know there are truckers who have fitness blogs, but have not researched them.