What is "junk food"?

Options
No, seriously. What is junk food? Most people think of chips, soda, ice cream, pizza, etc. when they hear junk food but what makes it junk food?

Is it food that isn't "clean"? My protein powder isn't found growing in nature, it has to be processed. Does that mean protein powder is junk food?

Is it food that's high calorie? Nuts and some fruits are high calorie. Are nuts and fruits junk food?

Is it the nutritional value? Fruits and vegetables are almost entirely carbs (like most junk food). Are fruits and vegetables junk food?

Does containing vitamins and minerals make something NOT junk food? I could crush up some vitamins and throw it in a milkshake. Would that be junk food?

So let me ask again, what is junk food?

Replies

• NickMacaluso
    Options
    Anything with added high fructose corn syrup is junk.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Generally it's something that has little nutritional value while having high calories from added sugar and fats.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    inb4 meat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Meat...oh, wait....
  • neanderthin
    Options
    lol, or dairy.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    inb4 meat.
    Lol I'm vegetarian but I don't consider meat to be junk food, I just don't like the taste or the idea of eating animals. It kinda creeps me out.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Generally it's something that has little nutritional value while having high calories from added sugar and fats.

^^^^this
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Joking aside I would say that generally speaking one should consider the entire diet as a whole rather than trying to make comparisons of singular food items in isolation.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Well said.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    MY definition is a food that provides little or no nutritional value and is loaded with sugar and/or fat.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    A food that is extremely high in calories relative to its nutritional merit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Don't throw fat under the bus!!!!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

^This^
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Bacon Covered Donuts
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Bacon Covered Donuts

Donuts, period.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Bacon Covered Donuts

Donuts, period.

Get out.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i would go with anything processed or with refined sugar...
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

Bacon Covered Donuts

Donuts, period.

Get out.

Whatever, beer girl.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Food that is spoiled so you throw it away to prevent yourself from getting the BG's
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Don't throw fat under the bus!!!!
    Absolutely not. Added fat is not the same thing as the fat found naturally within a food. A rib eye is naturally higher in fat and would never dream of removing the fat. nada, never.:happy: