Can't seem to consume enough to meet 1200 calories... Help!

Options

Replies

• Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    haha! put that way, no, that makes it sound really dumb ><. What I meant to say is that 1) I'm not eating enough so I figured tossing in chicken and parmesan cheese would help, but I'm more or less looking for something that is equally as filling and will give more calories but is also healthy. I suck at making choices... especially since I could live off of bread, pasta, and mexican!

I'd try to eat more at breakfast, add some almonds, they add calories & good fats, I'm working with a trainer who has me on around 1200 a day, if you want to get some ideas, look at my diaries for tomorrow & thursday. Ive logged what he has planned for my meals, and a snack
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Maybe 1200 cals is right for you...what is your height/weight?
    It's not too hard to add some cals....
    Avocado, nuts, a little olive oil, some cheese...perhaps a treat such as a cookie?
  • MommaDalton
    Options
    while i won't recommend drinking a protein shake, what about making smoothies? bananas, pineapple, honey, coconut milk...the cals can add up :) plus smoothies are delish.
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with walnuts and blueberries with breakfast. Carrots, bean chips or whole grain pretzels with any kind of hummus. Olives in your salad, plus nuts or seeds and feta cheese. Ezekial toast with peanut butter, or almond butter. Apples and nut butters are great too. Vega One or Garden of Life Raw Meal protein powder (they have a vegetarian one if you like), or Hemp Pro Fiber. Don't fill up on empty calories like white bread, white rice, potato chips (although I admit I have to have these on occasion). Baked or boiled potatoes are nice. Greek yogurt of any kind.
  • gbbhey
    gbbhey Posts: 188
    Options
    Peanut Butter, Banana, Almond Milk, Whey Protein. 4 Ice Cubes. Blend for 20-30 seconds. Sip and Smile
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If I read this from someone else, I would want to punch that person in the face and would think the same thing. I really am just clueless on what to eat and am struggling to make "healthy" decisions vs. "stupid" decisions; if I had it my way, I would likely consume 3,000 calories in a day. I'm picky and struggle to want something that is healthy. A salad vs. pasta? I would pick pasta (and way more than recommended) every time.
    That's your problem, which, honestly, is very common for people making changes to their diets. There is nothing wrong with eating pasta while reducing fat. Stop thinking solely of calories and categorizing foods such as "healthy" vs "stupid." Instead, think in terms of context. Avocados are great because, despite their calories, they are one of the most nutrient-dense foods one can eat. If I were in your shoes, and was extremely short in meeting my energy needs, I sure as hell won't be reaching for a salad - I'd go for freaking ice cream, pasta, avocados, etc.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Vanilla protein powder with any milk + banana + strawberries = strawberry milkshake/300cals

Oatmeal + dark chocolate chips + walnuts + peanut butter + banana = deconstructed oatmeal cookie taste/400cals

1 Egg + 3 whites + veggies + cheese = omelette/300cals

Turkey burger + bun + veggies + cheese = 350/cals

Peanut butter + toast + honey = 350/cals

Also, being picky needs to take a back seat to eating healthy. Priorities. Eat to live, not live to eat.
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You can open up your food diary by resetting your settings to friends or the public.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Someone else suggested not forcing yourself to eat three meals a day and I agree. If you normally eat one big meal and a few snacks, you can stick to that but just stay within your calorie goal. I eat at really odd times, eat right before I go to bed, eat carbs, etc and am not having an issue with seeing results.
  • rell2k13
    rell2k13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In a blender mix about 2 tablespoons of instant vanilla pudding, two handfuls of spinach, 4 ice cubes, half a cup of almond milk, half a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter for breakfast.
  • rockchick90
    Options
    have another piece of domino's pizza haha :P
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Couple tablespoons of peanut butter with celery or such. Always a winner with good protein and fats, and super filling.
  • LONGBRU
    Options
    I have same problem. Try eating nuts for snacks, high protien, high calories, healthy fat. Mostly Walnuts, almonds and also sunflower seeds. good luck
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    haha! put that way, no, that makes it sound really dumb ><. What I meant to say is that 1) I'm not eating enough so I figured tossing in chicken and parmesan cheese would help, but I'm more or less looking for something that is equally as filling and will give more calories but is also healthy. I suck at making choices... especially since I could live off of bread, pasta, and mexican!

add olive oil to your salad, or use more cheese, full fat cheese, also
    peanut butter + tablespoon
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Why is pasta demonized? You can have your lasagna AND your salad too you know! If all else fails, reach for a klondike bar. I know I did, nom nom!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    my advice is to stop limiting yourself to your typical diet foods. Especially if you are using iceberg lettuce, that has little nutritional value. I eat almonds, peanut butter, string cheese, nature valley protein bars, cottage cheese just for my snacks. Feel free to look at my diary. I have my goal set to my TDEE and i know i can eat up to that number to maintain the weight i'm at or 15% under to lose weight. It might help show you that you don't need to cut everything that is awesome to eat in this world just because you are dieting. That's why my dieting has failed in the past, i restricted myself way too much and ended up hungry, crabby and miserable. Now it's not hard anymore since i've stopped stressing over how many calories i have for the day.
  • qfrost
    qfrost Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time only consuming 1200 calories! I do work out and I adjust caloric intake for that but still seem to be going over. Any suggestions.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Don't eat bread, that's stupid.

Um, kay? Not all breads are created equal, and I don't feel bad about the whole-grain loaf I've got in the fridge. 4 grams of protein per slice... I'll take it.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    if you are not hungry..don't eat...if you are hungry eat...just stay i a deficit...

try skipping breakfast and then have a 500 calorie lunch and fill in rest with dinner..(shocking concept I know)

you might want to check out lean gains www.leangains.com

This guy talks sense. I also believe in random fasting until midday.

Alot of people will give you a lot of different advice. It's gonna be hard to choose.

Find your way. Make it yours.

Personally I eat lots of fat, the saturated kind because I'm not stuck in the past thinking grains are healthy.
    Some people will rubbish it, I don't mind. I have an 8 pack and I'm fitter and stronger than I've even been.
    I sometimes consume an additional 4000-5000 kcals a week.
    Guess what, I don't get fat.
    It comes from meat, veg & cheese.
    I'm not paleo.
    I'm primal. I do what works for me.
    Find out what works for you ;)
    ps
    I think bread sucks now I've been off it for 12 months!
    pps
    watch Fathead or google Mark's daily apple. They don't kcal count. I do because I'm addicted to logging and analysing my data on food/exercise & mood.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I had issues hitting my calorie goal at first. It is a learning process. Learning how to add calories but not add the bad stuff (trans fat, etc...). Cook using olive oil, sunflower oil, etc...that adds a lot of extra good calories. Use some whole foods rather than fat free or light. When I first started this I fell into one of the biggest traps people fall into, they think they have to get everything low-fat, non-fat, fat free, etc... Boy was I wrong....and I was hurting trying to get the calories in. Now, I buy the Fat free salad dressing (because it is 25 calories verse 75 lol) but instead of lower fat cheese, I just use regular and cut the portion a little bit.

It is all trial and error, and that is something you dont' realize when you start this.