Options

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Not for me thanks!
  • creativecarabao
    Options
    i used to give up soda for Lent. over the course of 3 years i drank less and less soda. Now I only drink it maybe at weddings or if it's mixed with some sort of alcohol. I still get the craving, but found that a really good sparkling mineral water helped with that bubbly fizz feeling and curbs the need for soda. When I initially gave it up i almost immediately lost 5 lbs.
  • danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    I quit drinking soda over a year and a half ago, I no longer crave it. Since then I've probably had some maybe 10 times if that. Not counting the few times I've had some sort of mixed drink, like jameson and ginger ale. High alcohol percentage IPAs, double IPAs and imperial stouts are what I drink when I want to do some drinking.

I just stick to water and gatorade per doctors recommendations. Low calorie gatorade is my new favorite thing
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 6-8 Diet Cokes a day. That was years ago. Now I drink mostly water but when I go out to dinner I have to have a diet pop. I can't stand water at restaurants. It's gross. Plus I like the occasional diet drink. Sometimes its the only thing that fits the craving.

For those who say it has no nutritional value I roll my eyes. Of course it doesn't. Live a little. If you want a diet pop, then drink a diet pop. Don't deny yourself. Just do it in moderation.
  • NewMsT
    NewMsT Posts: 33
    Options
    I am a recently converted soda drinker. Growing up in southern Georgia it was common to drink sweet tea and soda rather than water. As I have traveled down the path of getting healthier I switched to diet soda. My favorite is Diet Coke with Lime! But here lately it just doesn't taste as great as it did before. I take that as a good thing. I occasionally have one when I need a caffeine burst but lately water has done what I need. I am proud of the power I had to break that habit. Now I am in control rather than the soda controlling me.
    Each person is different and should listen to their own body. Mine is certainly telling me that I don't need the soda anymore and I am more than happy to oblige!
  • chio_04
    chio_04 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Haven't have had soda in like 2-3 years, and do not miss it at all. Nowadays, I drink a spinach/orange/apple or pineapple homemade juice with my dinner.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what peoples general thoughts on soda were? I used to drink dr. pepper like it was job. Haven't had one in about 3 weeks and have an occasional diet pepsi now instead (1-2 per week)
    what are your thoughts? is even 1-2 too much? or does it not matter. i've seen a lot of conflicting answers on a google search.

doesn't matter, other than calorie content. do my best to save my calories for food rather than drinks. but I will destroy a 12-pack of diet dr pepper.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I had a coke for the first time since jan 2nd on...Sunday I think it was.

But I have been basically been replacing it with Diet Coke which I really shouldnt do.
  • HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    As much as I miss my Dr Pepper, I only drink water and homemade smoothies now....I've cut most of the sugar from my diet....although I've been known to sniff my husband's glass of coke a time or two because even the smell says "Come back to me!"

I'm even trying to kick my caffeine habit...today is day one without coffee :/
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    As an every day rule, no. But a soda every so often ain't gonna sink the ship. Just compensate somewhere else in the day for the sugar and calories.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a Diet Coke every day but gave it up probably 8 months ago or so. I found that it actually made me more hungry when I drank one. I'm in the boat of everything in moderation but for me, soda is just not one of the things I feel I need to have all that often. I have one maybe once every couple months now.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I don't drink soda anymore. It gives me the hiccups and I hate that and they hurt. So nope, I would rather have juice or gatorade instead.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Love my Diet Pepsi, I refuse to give it up. Or anything really. I just choose smart portion sizes.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I drink soda whenever I want if it is within my calories/macros, but do limit myself to one a day (though I only have about 3 a week). I can't drink diet sodas because aspartame gives me migraines so I just enjoy my coke or pepsi now and then and don't sweat about it.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    While at work I drink coffee in the mornin and then water throughout my day... I try to drink at least 8 glasses before I leave work (wearing a groove in the carpet between my office and the bathroom)... When I get home, my Cherry Coke Zero is a treat. Also, if I have a cocktaile it is always Coke Zero and vodka. My doctor recommends Coke Zero (his addiction) because it is not high in sodium or caffiene. Plus, the cherry tastes fabulous and nothing like to diet (to me)...

But, Dr Pepper is the *kitten*!!! My favorite by all means but that is a rare occasion. Once I kicked the Dr. Pepper habit I can't go back... or Coke Zero won't taste as good to me...
  • MikeG2
    MikeG2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How diet soda causes weight gain, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hpoAtwVyzZI
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I drink soda at all. Maybe once every few month... if I'm eating pizza. (which is rare).
    I don't like carbonation... or sugar.
  • Angel0787
    Angel0787 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Moderation, just like anything else. :)
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    as long as it fits into your macros and its occasional i see no harm
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options