Insanity and knee pain...

Options
I just started my second week of the second month of Insanity. Some of the plyo exercises are really hurting my knees. So I'm leaving out the jumping and just stepping lightly (high knees) or squatting wth no jump. I'm concerned about how this will affect my calorie burn. I am still sore and sweating at the end of the sessions. I don't want to stop the program because of knee pain...anyone dealing with similar issues or have a good idea about how to carry on with more calorie burn? I presently am taking naproxen and icing my knees...

Replies

• AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Help a sister out here?
  • Bbells89
    Bbells89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! first time i tried it, it hurt so bad that i stopped after a week and a half. Now that I have start over, I just modify. Instead of power-squats i do regular slow ones. I dont have any good tips, i would like to know myself lol

Just modify and do your best and you will still burn a great amount. I use my HRM and I'm burning pretty much the same.
  • swweetpea
    Options
    I'm not doing insanity but I've had the same problem in bodyattack classes. My instructor told me to focus on always landing with my knees out, and that's helped heaps!
  • angied16
    Options
    Try landing softly on your lands when you do jumps or high knees because landing hardly can be bad for your joints. Another thing may be because you don't have muscle strength around your knee. If you go to the gym, try doing some leg extensions to help build the muscle around you knees to prevent injuries. (:
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    okay, so modify and land softly...someone want to explain how an overweight person lands softly? :huh: lol.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    okay, so modify and land softly...someone want to explain how an overweight person lands softly? :huh: lol.

No clue either, and that's why I gave up on 30 day shred for now. At my current weight/age, jumping jacks almost snapped my knees. I do a modified yoga program instead now called DDP, until I get below 200. Then I'll revisit bouncing around. LOL
    I'd guess landing on the balls of your feet would soften the impact... but might not be good for knees either. /shrugs
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    My knees didn't hurt but the arches in my feet were hurting super bad. I have good shoes and stretched out so I know it isn't that. I tried using a soft mat for the high impact moves and it helped a lot! I got through the workout with no more pain. I just used like a bathroom mat soft, carpeted.
  • riverabeth
    riverabeth Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Tuck jumps + 180lbs= NOT A SOFT LANDING,LOL! I have had some pain in my right knee. Doing the same as you, kind of modify the moves so the landing isn't as hard on my joints. My HRM still says I'm burning a lot of calories so I don't think I'm compromising my results. Also, since I have hard floors, I started using a rug for all the plyo moves so I have a softer surface.