Anyone lose a lot but not see a difference in the mirror?

Options

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I see a difference in the mirror when I am dressed, but not while I am naked. I have only lost 21.6 pounds though so I am only halfway to my goal
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I see a difference in the mirror when I am dressed, but not while I am naked.

This happens to me too! It's easier to see the change when you have more cues like how clothes are fitting.

But yeah, still waiting for my brain to catch up to my new body. I look in the mirror a LOT now, I think it's helping me readjust and remind myself that this is what my body is now. I'm starting to get better at things like deciding if I can fit through a space, or picking up clothes and guessing if they will fit or not, but I still often think I don't look THAT different.
  • unchainedzulu
    unchainedzulu Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    stop looking in the mirror. give it a week or two before you look again so that you're not comparing small changes that seem insignificant.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Yep I couldn't see any difference in the first 50lbs. If my clothes weren't getting looser I would have sworn I was the same. In fact I had pictures taken when I was nearly 60lbs down and my family who hadn't seen me since before didn't even notice I was smaller. The people at my church didn't notice either until I was down about 90lbs then it was like I had suddenly shown up skinny. I was like but you saw me last week and the week before how is it just now you notice its been 7 months that its been coming off.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    yep, I see a difference, bit by bit now that bones and muscles are starting to show up from under the fat but on the whole i still look like me to me. Only side by side pictures can i really see the difference.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 55 lbs and everyday I look in the mirror I see "fat me" it's gets really discouraging and makes me want to give up sometimes.. But then I look at before pictures and I can tell the difference... I would think eventually mentally I will catch up to what I look like physically but who knows how long that takes.. Just keep your head up and there's always people on mfp to help keep you motivated (:
  • HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    me too..ive lost 87lbs and dont see a difference in the mirror or in side by side pictures...
  • jbr121
    jbr121 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Me too! I've dropped 48lbs and other than my clothes no longer fit and Im wearing a different size - I don't see it in the mirror - it's still the same fat girl looking back at me :(
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only person who feels this way, I literally thought I was crazy. That's what most of my friends/family think haha. It's like incredible to people that I can't see a difference. But it's just so confusing for my brain I guess when I spent so much of my life as a larger person. I still think I am really big. So I just need to work on that while I keep reaching my goals.
  • hmp1130
    hmp1130 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a ton, but I've dropped 25lbs in 4 weeks and don't see a difference, though I am a pretty big girl so 25 lbs isn't much on me.
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you mean... I haven't lost near that much, but I did go from a size 12/14 to a size 8 (at least so far). But I don't see a difference in the mirror. The other day I went shopping and grabbed a pair of pants from the rack that were a size 8, but looked tiny and the only reason I tried them on was because to me there was no way I was gonna fit in those... I'm still trying to convince myself that I am really not a size 8, but rather that the clothes are just cut differently now LOL But guess what...THOSE PANTS FIT!!! I don't know how long it takes our brain to make the switch, but I would say it is perfectly normal to feel that way. Just keep reminding yourself that you have done great so far!

i totally have that issue when i go shopping now! i always try to pick out a bigger size bc my brain just doesn't think that my body will fit into the smaller size! i always have some sort of excuse or reason. my friends and family are even getting frustrated with me for not seeing a difference but it's so hard. and it doesn't make it easier when people make such a stink over the change! I mean it's so nice that people notice but sometimes it can be embarrassing how much they make a thing of it, like i was so revolting before. i've even had friends tell me it's "wierd" that i'm thin now (even though i DO NOT think i'm thin at all)...like, backhanded compliment!?

I agree... It really makes you wonder what they thought before... Of course it probably also has to do with the fact that weight loss is a much more accepted topic in our society than talking about someone gaining weight or having weight to lose...

Backhanded compliment for sure...nothing "weird" about getting healthy :)
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I still have a hard time with this. Sometimes I get a quick glimpse and think ..wow...but then it is gone again. I can see things like collarbones and such...I know I am wearing smaller clothes. But its a brain thing I suppose. I have heard it takes time for your brain to sort of catch up. I find myself instinctively going toward the plus size clothes section also and then I have to remind myself I dont have to shop there anymore.
  • LilRiver
    LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I didn't start seeing the difference until I'd lost about 75 lbs. There are times I still struggle to see it just by looking in the mirror. I mean, logically, I *know* I've gotten smaller. I have to have... when I started I was wearing a size 24 pants and I'm wearing a pair of size 10 today. 10 (or 12 or 14) is very much smaller than 24! But my oh so smart brain just cannot see it - until I put on the pair of size 24 khakis I kept. Then it's like "oh! yeah! you are totally smaller!"
  • lovelyleti78
    Options
    I am amazed at how many people relate to this.
    I also have been here. I put on my old workout pants today and they were so big, that they Fell down when i started to do jumpin jacks. But I swore that something was up with the elastic. My 7yr old even said WOW mommy you really have lost weight, those pants are to big. But even so I still don't see it. I know I lost 4inchs on my tummy in the past month alone, but I still see a big old tummy.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I'm down 75 and see not even a hint of difference in the mirror (in clothes otherwise). Maybe someday, but nope-see no difference at all.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I never see a difference in myself. I've often thought I have body dysmorphia.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common. Another good reason to lose weight slowly - it takes your head a lot longer to catch up. I still have problems buying clothes because the right size looks too small.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Definitely and it sucks. Congrats on your loss though! Pictures have always been the best motivator for me because a picture doesn't lie so that's good you can see a difference there. I don't have an answer but yes I feel that way too
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of this is mental as in not grasping the beautiful person you are in the inside and being out of shape for so long that you come to expect it.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. What I saw in the mirror (before I gained a lot back) was the same as before I started.

For me, it was all mental. The photo is proof, without my biases. The mirror, I can make myself see whatever I want. It took me about 50 pounds to see a difference in my body, but I saw it in my face sooner.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!