Eu De Ammonia

Options
So, I work out pretty hard every day - spin 6 days a week, and usually tack on a Vinyasa class 2-4 times on top of that. I swim once a week and I hit the climbing gym biweekly, I'd say.

Out of nowhere, my sweat smells like straight up ammonia. It has never happened in the past and I haven't changed much, if anything in my diet. Fewer breads, but that is about it. My diary is open, so you are all more than welcome to take a peek.

What I have read so far is a too much protein, not enough carbs.

I have gone through all of my old nursing texts and have found nothing.

Has anyone had this experience? What did you do??

Replies

• Loftearmen
    Options
    This happens when you are using proteins for fuel. If you are on a ketogenic type diet, increase your fat intake. If not, increase your cals.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    This happens when you are using proteins for fuel. If you are on a ketogenic type diet, increase your fat intake. If not, increase your cals.

But I feel pretty balanced and haven't changed much at all and this came out of nowhere. I did try to add a banana today and an english muffin, but i eat 1700-2000 cals a day at 40/30/30 for the most part.

It's so embarrassing to smell like a litter box! This has to stop!

My diary is open - doesn't that seem relatively balanced??
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It is balanced, but your carb/fat intake is not keeping up with your energy needs, thus your body is resorting to proteins for fuel. What you are smelling (the acetone/ammonia smell) is sometimes referred to as 'the smell of keto running out of gas', which basically means they have burned off all of their easy to use fat energy, and are starting to dip into their protein stores.

Loft's advice is pretty solid.
  • underwater77
    Options
    Man, I do not do well with increased calories, but I guess I can give it a shot. I hydrate plenty, but I do tend to burn about 1000 cals a day between spin and yoga if I do both. I don't feel remotely me tired and have had some great workouts in, but I know something isn't right. I will try to up my cals because I have never done nor will I ever do a keto diet.

Thanks so much for your guidance.
  • Jlbland123
    Jlbland123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This exact scenario happened to me once I started jogging more than 3 days a week. I thought it was my imagination at first, but friends confirmed it was a full-on ammonia odor from my pores (mostly arms and legs). Horrible. Anyway, I started eating a banana about 45 minutes prior to any cardio activity and I don't get that smell anymore. I don't know much about proper before/after workout nutrition though, so that might have just been a coincidence. Good luck! I know how embarrassing it can be..
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who had this issue too. *Tries to remember what she did about it...*

Okay, I *think* she would try things like eating extra carbs, like an apple, right before a run. That kind of thing. And I think it helped a bit. But it was awhile ago, and then I think the issue wasn't as big of a thing because then she...got pregnant. And either she wasn't working out as intensely, or there was no smell anymore, or she was preoccupied with the whole being pregnant jazz.

Reading back over this, I'm not too sure how helpful I've been.

But, hey, I tried! :happy:

And maybe this will bump the thread and someone more helpful than me will come along. Not that I disagree with what was posted about upping calories, or upping carbs. I'm just suggesting that timing with respect to cardio may also help.
  • Loftearmen
    Options

But I feel pretty balanced and haven't changed much at all and this came out of nowhere. I did try to add a banana today and an english muffin, but i eat 1700-2000 cals a day at 40/30/30 for the most part.

It's so embarrassing to smell like a litter box! This has to stop!

My diary is open - doesn't that seem relatively balanced??

If you are running into this issue while not on a ketogenic diet then you are eating way too little for your amount of activity. This is usually just an issue for people who aren't eating carbs or for people who train for really long periods of time like marathoners, football players, etc...
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You eat 1700-2000 per day and burn 1000 with exercise? So you are netting 700-1000? Is that enough to sustain oneself? It sounds like your body is eating muscle to fuel itself.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You do seem to be netting very far from your goals. Now I am uncertain of where your goals are set, but 500-900+ calories below your goals seems excessive.
  • underwater77
    Options
    Thank you.

I know I workout a lot, but it's not even for weight loss and eating 2000 cals was hard for me so I had to scale back.

I'm gonna have my ketones checked