Don't Beat me up, just help me

Options
I've had a rough couple of days and getting pulled over less than a block from home tonight has left me feeling even more miserable than strictly necessary. I've been in recovery from an eating disorder and working really hard towards a healthier life but right now, water fasting for several days or even a couple of weeks to lose weight quickly is seeming like an excellent idea.

I know logically it isn't. But I'm hoping there are some people who would like to help me remember WHY it is a bad idea.

Like the title says, please, please, please don't beat me up. I already said I KNOW it's a bad idea. I'm asking for help and support and encouragement to continue eating in a healthy, sustainable manner.

TIA

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It's a bad idea because you deserve to have vitamins to fuel your body so your little boy can have a healthy mum and not a sick one. I think that is one very good reason.

Edited to give you a big hug :)
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    The two most important reasons:

Lachlan.

Your health.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It is a bad idea because you will have no energy for dealing with the cruelties that life has been throwing you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    How are you going to chase a 3 year old bundle of energy if you don't have energy to burn?

ED's are often about control. Display control by controlling your unhealthy urges, not your eating. Take controlling those little voices as a victory.
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :heart:
    Because there are people who love & care about you!-& YOU LOVE & CARE FOR THOSE PEOPLE-
    Enough said, Be the person that makes a difference!
    :smooched:
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    It's a bad idea because it'll just make you more vulnerable to emotional distress when bad/irritating/exhausting things happen, as they inevitably will. You've gotta fuel your body, your mind, and your emotional resilience! You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's about control. But it's a false sense of control, don't you think? Because, really, you're giving up control over the health of your body when you choose to do something so unhealthy. You are worth being healthy. Don't fall into bad patterns. You are worth finding a better, healthier way to deal with whatever you're going through. Work on nurturing yourself today. Don't treat yourself badly, OK?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I sort of get it, even though I have the opposite problem, I have struggled with turning to food when I am stressed. This recovery is a process, so please be kind to yourself.

You shouldn't do this because:
    1.) You will feel terrible afterwards.
    2.) You will deprive your body of the nutrition it needs to function properly, and possibly cause long-term or even permanent damage.
    3.) It is terribly unloving towards yourself. Things are hard enough. Don't punish yourself for things you can't control.

Hey, you got this! Find someone to talk to if you can, instead of turning to old habits and patterns. Look for new habits and other things you can do to control your stress levels. Take a long bath, take a walk, do a little retail therapy if you can.

You got this!
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    eating healthy will give you more energy to actually deal with what life throws at you. If you lose the weight in a healthy way it is more likely to stay off for good. think of it this way, if you do lose weight by doing that water fast it will come back very quickly. wouldn't you rather it be gone for good? I think eating healthy will be a lot less stressful too.

and maybe throw in some exercise. it usually helps with stress.

best of luck and I hope things turn out alright! :flowerforyou:
  • Ya know, I hear ya. I have been there. A desperate to feel confident about my body that I did 5 rounds of the hcg diet, the lemonade cleanse, etc. I gained weight back on all of them. I have finally found success that is lasting. For me I had to come to terms that I didn't really want that number on the scale, I wanted that LOOK of fit, thin, muscular, abs, healthy, etc. once I was able to shift my thinking I was able to choose a better fitness plan that allowed me to achieve that goal. I'm here for you! Hang in there!