Need some help

KalB
KalB Posts: 42
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Maybe I started this site at the wrong time but Im working with it as best I can. My problem is that on friday night I fell down my stairs.Thankfully it wasnt to bad, just a bad sprain and a brocken toe. The down side is im suppose to be on cruches for 4 to 6 weeks. Seeing everyone on here is a great modivation but I need some ideas for what exercises I can do that arent going to strain those. Thanks a ton for anyone who has ideas.

Replies

• I totally know where you are coming from! I had knee surgery in November and I was out of commission for almost 3 months! Check with your doctorand see if are able to do upper body strength exercises while healing your sprain and toe. Also, take the time to really watch what you eat and count your calories, it's the MOST important thing you can do while you are laid up recovering to make sure you dont pack on the pounds instead of lose them :-)
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    What about SWIMMING!!!

I would also take the next few weeks to dial in your diet.

There's my two cents!
  • sb1619
    sb1619 Posts: 26 Member
    How about some strength training. You can work the upper body while you are sitting down. Lift those weights. You can alway lay on your side and do leg lifts or get some crunches in.

You'll be back on your feet before you know it. :)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    this is gonna sound dumb but lifting very light weights (5 lbs and under) for a significant # of reps will raise your heart rate up to get some cardio action in while you're not on your feet much. You won't really gain a lot of muscle but you won't be a couch potato either. well i suppose you could do your reps on the couch if you wanted to! haha
  • NicholeTrussell
    NicholeTrussell Posts: 22 Member
    definately...you can get cardio with you upper body while not bulking up...use a really light weight..2 lbs..no more than 5...you could also use an exercise ball lifting it over your head and such...I started that way when I hurt my leg...
  • KalB
    Thanks everyone I need to find my little weigths and try to do some reps so im at least doing something. Hope im still this jazzed to work out a couple weeks from now.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    My two cents are as such:

As mentioned above, as you start eating healthy, you will see an early drop in your weight, and that should last for several weeks before a plateau naturally occurs. I wouldn't sweat the exercise TOO much during that time (unless you are already exercising). Then about the time the plateau comes, you will be coming off your crutches, you can use the start of exercising as a kick start to get over the plateau.

See it all works out nicely.

---- oh yeah, and Welcome to MFP!!! I hope you meet all your fitness goals!!!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    :flowerforyou: Walking on crutches has to be some type of exercise... it isn't that easy from what I remember. :bigsmile:

http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Calories_Burned/walking-using-crutches.asp has a place to put in your weight and how long you were on them for calories burned... :flowerforyou:
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    I'm so proud of you girl, and so happy that we can do this together. Looks like everyone here already gave you some pretty excellent advice! :) Let me know what you decide!
  • KalB
    I will have to check that out and add it. I hate walking on cruches and can not wait to get off of them.lol But im glad to say my arms were feeling some great burn after doing some weight lifting with one of my ten lb medicion balls. :D over all today has been an awsome day!
  • KalB
    They accually have it on here and being liberal and saying I probally spent 60 min on them through out my day the amount burned is crazy.lol
This discussion has been closed.