dont get all my calories in

Options
i been struggling these last 2 weeks to get all my calories in!! i dont know what to do!!
i eat about 800-900calories and on top of that i do exercise to about 350 ave a day,
just dont know why i cant get my food in

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i was struggling to reach 1200 so i took advice from here when i upped to 1800 and started supplementing with peanut butter, avocado, cheese, yoghurt - and the odd wine :p

it gets easier x
  • nezsorou
    Options
    Raw cashews, raw pecans, avocado?
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Whilst I understand that when we eat healthy we can eat a lot more actual food per serving, BUT if you are here as you need to lose weight, I do not understand why you suddenly cannot eat at least 1200 calories!!!! How on earth did you manage to put any weight on????

Losing weight is not about starving yourself. You still eat, but just more sensibly and eat a sensible deficit from the normal amount of calories. This is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. As the other poster said, look at high calorie, low portion size foods and ensure you give your body enough calories to remain healthy and you will be more likely succeed.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Whilst I understand that when we eat healthy we can eat a lot more actual food per serving, BUT if you are here as you need to lose weight, I do not understand why you suddenly cannot eat at least 1200 calories!!!! How on earth did you manage to put any weight on????

Losing weight is not about starving yourself. You still eat, but just more sensibly and eat a sensible deficit from the normal amount of calories. This is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. As the other poster said, look at high calorie, low portion size foods and ensure you give your body enough calories to remain healthy and you will be more likely succeed.

possibly because when people are overweight, and this has been true for me, you develop a fear of eating too many calories, so when you start being careful you think you can't eat anything with fat in it. You actually do end up yo-yo ing your metabolism sometimes, which slows it down, and means your body holds on to the fat and things you DO eat.

:I think learning to eat normally = healthy.

Too much food/fat = unhealthy
    Too little food'fat = unhealthy

But people DO go from one extreme to the other in the belief it's necessary.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so we can't see what you're eating right now, but try adding in more calorie dense foods - as other people have mentioned, nuts and nut butters are great, as are avocados (how can anyone pass up guacamole?!). In addition, dairy (full fat dairy, fat is your friend! - greek yogurt has tons of protein and the fage brand total greek yogurts are delicious and come in many fruit flavors, or you can get plain and add peanut butter and sweetener, or fruit, etc. Chocolate milk, cottage cheese, kefir, etc are also good sources of calories, protein, calcium, and other nutritious goodness), dark chocolate, good oils and fats, dried fruit, trail mix, granola, jerky, sweet potatoes or bananas (not super high in cals, but a largeish sweet potato can be 200-300 cals and a large banana can be 150, and is excellent with peanut butter for added cals), etc. You don't have to limit yourself to "diet" foods; if it fits your macros, go for it - food is delicious and you really can (and should) eat more to lose more. Netting 500-600 calories per day is not healthy or sustainable, and why deprive yourself when you don't have to?
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

possibly because when people are overweight, and this has been true for me, you develop a fear of eating too many calories, so when you start being careful you think you can't eat anything with fat in it. You actually do end up yo-yo ing your metabolism sometimes, which slows it down, and means your body holds on to the fat and things you DO eat.

Yes, I think it's all about our mindset. I also think that people think of 'fat' as being bad for us. Our bodies need good healthy fats to exist. Unless there is a medical reason, nothing need be restricted from our diets, so long as they fit into our macro settings. We just eventually should and do get used to choosing healthier things. Healthy fats and proteins are our friends and help keep us fuller for longer. It is only the unhealthy fats like saturated fats that we need to steer clear of.
  • trudijoy
    Options

Yes, I think it's all about our mindset. I also think that people think of 'fat' as being bad for us. Our bodies need good healthy fats to exist. Unless there is a medical reason, nothing need be restricted from our diets, so long as they fit into our macro settings. We just eventually should and do get used to choosing healthier things. Healthy fats and proteins are our friends and help keep us fuller for longer. It is only the unhealthy fats like saturated fats that we need to steer clear of.

yep. this website has taught me HEAPS. i now have more energy, better skin, less fat, healthier sleep patterns...the list goes on. and i eat pretty much whatever i fancy, but try and stay within BMR and TDEE-20%
  • earndien
    earndien Posts: 195 Member
    Options

the funny part is i dont starve myself!! when i eat a meal i get full and it get me to my next meal, i preper my meals with more veg then meat and i say away from red meat, i just not in to it rather!
    i use to live of high sugar food and breads, pasta and all that jazz, i notice this last year if i cut out all that my stomach approve on it and i feel so much better,
  • earndien
    earndien Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    my normaly day consists of

breakfast
    yoghurt or eggs in the morning with fruit

lunch
    either chicken or fish with veg/nuts

afternoon snack is yoghurt and then a tea

suppor is mostly again
    chicken or fish with veg

and alot of water and alot of green tea

although i lost 6 lb in -+ 2.5weeks i feel i going to hit a stand still with the weight
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    the funny part is i dont starve myself!! when i eat a meal i get full and it get me to my next meal

Your body can and does adjust to severely decreased calories, so while you may not feel hungry, that doesn't mean that you're adequately fueling your body, especially with the amount of exercise you're doing. I would still recommend bumping up your calorie intake significantly. Calculate what your basal metabolic rate (bmr) is - this is the estimated amount of calories that your body burns while doing absolutely nothing at all. Then try to calculate your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) which is an estimate of the calories you burn doing your normal daily activity - walking around, exercising, being awake. Try to eat between these numbers. Many people on MFP eat at around their TDEE minus 20%, while others adhere to the 1200 calories per day as suggested by MFP. Find what works for you, but really, eat more. :flowerforyou: Your current caloric intake is likely to decrease the muscle/lean body mass that your body has, so even if you do lose, you run the risk of ending up looking flabby.

I would recommend checking out this link and searching the forums for postings from other members who lost weight through severe calorie restrictions but found they then had a very difficult time putting back on muscle.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12