exercises to decrease calves

Options
My calves are actually bigger than my thighs and would love to make them smaller. It might be tough because they are all muscle from riding bikes all my life but my thighs stayed the same size. Are there any good exercises to make them smaller?

Replies

• aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just wear heels :P I love my calves and i'm sure its all because of wearing heels constantly.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Not without losing the muscle, and I think you need that for your cycling. I have the same problem, and I've never found an exercise to decrease them. You could try making your thighs bigger possibly? Some of the lifting people on here might know more about that than me.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Just wear heels :P I love my calves and i'm sure its all because of wearing heels constantly.

Psst he's a bloke - I think wearing heels might not be the answer he's looking for. It made me laugh though, which is a good thing for a Wednesday morning!
  • arobles28
    Options
    Not without losing the muscle, and I think you need that for your cycling. I have the same problem, and I've never found an exercise to decrease them. You could try making your thighs bigger possibly? Some of the lifting people on here might know more about that than me.
    heals aren't my thing lol. That may be a better idea increasing my thighs since they are a measly 19.25".
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Psst he's a bloke - I think wearing heels might not be the answer he's looking for. It made me laugh though, which is a good thing for a Wednesday morning!

Hahahaha! Sorry arobles28!! Had no idea WOOPS
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've always had big calves - legacy of a lot of dance classes and riding. But my thighs are whopping too.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    to make a muscle smaller you have to stop the exercise that is making it big, I have a feeling that you don't want to give up cycling. So the only other option is to work on your Quads to make them bigger, there are a lot of squatting and lunging exercises that work on your quads, and you probably would need to lift heavy to catch up with your calves.
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Instead of decreasing your pure muscle calves. Increase the size of your thighs. Maybe go through a bulk phase.
    Squat, dead lifts...
  • arobles28
    Options
    Its really wierd because cycling is a great whole leg workout and all my friends have huge thighs to go along with their calves. I guess I pedal a different way lol
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Its really wierd because cycling is a great whole leg workout and all my friends have huge thighs to go along with their calves. I guess I pedal a different way lol

Have you ever seen a doctor about it, to find if there is some issue preventing your upper leg from getting bigger? If there were, then the lower leg would grow bigger in compensation, so any leg exercise you do (ie cycling) might continue to grow the lower leg rather than the upper.
  • arobles28
    Options
    My calves are actually bigger than my thighs and would love to make them smaller. It might be tough because they are all muscle from riding bikes all my life but my thighs stayed the same size. Are there any good exercises to make them smaller?
    I mentioned it at s physical 1 time because she commented on my calves but she didn't do anything but say wow. That's a good idea
  • arobles28
    Options
    Funny thing is my wife rides the same as me and her calves are big but her thigh is 9" bigger than her calf
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    u have sick calves not many ppl have those genetics embrace it ... NO ONE is ever happy with what they got , its a shame
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    u have sick calves not many ppl have those genetics embrace it ... NO ONE is ever happy with what they got , its a shame

^^^ SO TRUE
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Instead of decreasing your pure muscle calves. Increase the size of your thighs. Maybe go through a bulk phase.
    Squat, dead lifts...

^This^
    Lots and lots of squats.
  • arobles28
    Options
    I like them but I look abnormal
  • arobles28
    Options
    good idea
  • arobles28
    Options

lol
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is my wife rides the same as me and her calves are big but her thigh is 9" bigger than her calf
    Genetics.

Calves are arguably the muscle in the body most influenced by genetics. If you don't have big ones, you'll have a hard time getting them big; if you have big ones (and not a lot of fat on them), you're going to be hard-pressed to shrink them. I've worked out with guys who had legs like spiders who were able to absolutely crush me on calf raises, even though my calves were significantly bigger than theirs.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Try adjusting your bike seat, height and position until you feel more of a burn on your thighs quads

Rule #20// There are only three remedies for pain.
    These are:

If your quads start to burn, shift forward to use your hamstrings and calves, or
    If your calves or hamstrings start to burn, shift back to use your quads, or
    If you feel wimpy and weak, meditate on Rule #5 and train more!