Adding weights?

Options
mazdauk
mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
My current fitness regime is lots of short bursts (20 mins) of low impact aerobics/toning interspersed with brisk walks. I can't do anything high impact due to knee and hip problems - my knees crunch like bubble wrap as it is! Lots of these threads talk about adding weight lifting (though my legs are doing a lot just lifiting me to and fro!) I don't have a gym convenient to me, and I don't have lots of space to store equipment at home. So I have a couple of questions:

1. If I add wrist/ankle weights when doing my aerobic/toning work outs, how beneficial would that be? (Apart from being more tiring!)
2. What cn I do to make my walking more effective (bearing in mind I'm walking round suburban streets so don't want to look like a mad lady:wink: )

There is an outdoor gym nearby which I might try in summer but its too cold and muddy down there at the moment.

Thanks!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Don't add wrist/ankle weights to aerobics, although its ok for things like leg lifts and such. You might benefit from getting some resistance bands. They're fairly cheap, and you can get different resistances and actually get in a "heavy" workout. For your walk, try increasing your intensity or find some hills. You could always wear a backpack with some weight in it as well, ut do not use ankle or wrist weights while walking, that can through off your gait and cause injury.
  • mazdauk
    Options
    I do have some good hills (including a real killer!) so I always try to start and finish uphill if I can. So weights are OK for the toning bits but not the fat-burning?
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have walking weights for my hands. They are only 1 lb each. I wouldn't use ankle weights myself but having more resistance in your arms while walking will definitely help to tone
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands would be a good idea as they wouldn't take up much room. You can also get a lot out of bodyweight exercises. If you're looking to build muscle or make serious strength gains, then you will at some point need to be able to increase the weight you are using, but you can do a lot with bodyweight, especially as a beginner. Google "bodyweight exercises" or check out the nerdfitness routines: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/workouts/

Weights will definitely help with the fat burning. As far as burning calories goes - it can be harder to estimate your burn with resistance work, but it will definitely help. Lots of other benefits to using weights too - including maintaining bone density.

How to make walking more effective? - Walk faster! It sounds obvious, but you should be able to get your heart rate up to a reasonable level with fast walking, and definitely make use of the hills!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I do have some good hills (including a real killer!) so I always try to start and finish uphill if I can. So weights are OK for the toning bits but not the fat-burning?

Weights while walking can injure you. I wasn't sure what you meant by adding weights to aerobics. Doing stuff like JM is fine, that
    is aerobics with weights, really.
  • mazdauk
    Options
    I use Rosemary Conley DVDs. Some of the toning incorporates weights (well, water bottles!)., but I was thinking also about the ones designed for hips and thighs.
    I do walk quite fast - average 4mph on the flat when I'm walking for fitness. In fact even if I'm just on my way somewhere my husband will say "what's the rush?"

Thanks everyone!