complete newbie ..dont know where to start?

Hiya,

Im kat, im 5ft2 and currently weigh 14stone 6lb. I joined slimming world two months ago where my start weight was 15stone 8lb. Im very unfit, i walk everywhere but other than that...i never did exercise.
I started C25K and found a love for jogging though ive not completed the programme yet.
I have no idea how to lose weight with exercise or what exercises to do, do i need to join a gym or can i buy the equipment myself? Any sort of heads up i would really appreciate. Im sick of being unfit and obese.
Thank you xxx

Replies

• jayclock
    jayclock Posts: 51 Member
    just do any exercise that raises your heart rate. walking, running,swimming, cycling. The MFP app gives good approximations of calorie expenditure. Just remember that what might seem now like a lot of exercise (eg running a few km) does not equate to allowing tons of food intake! Worst example is swimming, where I see head-up breast-strokers doing a half hour and feeling they have done a lot, when that is not a massive use of calories, whereas 30 mins non stop crawl is. (it is the poor technique that makes it feel like a tough work out.) Also, do little and often, rather than ramping up too fast. I also suggest varying your sports, so run one day, cycle the next, etc to give various muscles time to recover. And lifting weights is not the calorie burning exercise that helps weight loss

FInal point is FIND EXERCISE YOU ENJOY. I love the outdoor stuff, but hate gym classes - you may be the opposite
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    FIRST AND FOREMOST!!!! losing weight is 90% diet!!!! only 10% exercise!!!

so if you havent got your diet right, you need a slap, love!!

Fill your fridge with greens, fruits and *kitten* like that - it's all common sense really.

20 mins light exersise would do, build it up from there! grab a workout DVD or look on youtube, they're free online and you'll burn fat all over the place!!

Lose the slimming world bullsh*t - it's good for group motivation but you got that here, in the LIKES OF ME!!
    Why pay money to be told the same inforamtion you get for nothing and you probablu already know anyway!!?

DRINK WATER LIKE ITS GOING OUT OF FASHION!! you can never drink enough!! carry a bottle everywhere with you!!!
    Its good for weight loss and drink enough YOUR SKIN WILL BE F*CKING FLAWLESS!!!!! super-model style!! KElly Brook drinks H2o all damn DAY!! shes proof!!

You dont need a gym membership to be THIN!! I'm thin as hell and I havent seen a gym since the stone-age!!! DIET DIET DIET!!

plus gyms are full of sweaty people on treadmills running nowhere - im sorry but last time I checked it's OKAY TO RUN OUTDOORS AND THAT SH*TS FREE!!!!

if you want weights, go to ebay and get light dumbeelss - workout during your fav TV shows or something. BREAKING BAD IS EPIC!!! try that!!!

DO as above and you'll be a fcuking GODESS in a month - trust me!! come back and thank me!!

oh and dont eat after 7-8pm - you'll be amazed how much youll lose. boom!!
  • magneticreikipaul
    magneticreikipaul Posts: 61 Member
    Lose the slimming world bullsh*t - it's good for group motivation but you got that here, in the LIKES OF ME!!
    Why pay money to be told the same inforamtion you get for nothing and you probablu already know anyway!!?

so true i tried it twice lesson to myself i lost pounds
    yes £5 every week and £10 if you miss a week at there group load of old crap to be brutally honest
    this is way better it's free and it's better there are some wonderful great people here
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    FIRST AND FOREMOST!!!! Take the stuff you read on these boards with a pinch of salt as there will always be people trying to get you to do things their way. :smile: Lots of good advice here if you read around, but try and find what works for you.

Great work on your loss so far. I personally would rather not pay to be part of a group like SW, when I can do this for free but I know people who have had success with it, and benefit from the face to face support they get in the group. If it's helping you, there's no reason you shouldn't do it.

Keep doing C25k if you're enjoying it; running will really improve your fitness, and can be a great calorie burn. Don't discount the walking either, it's definitely better than no activity at all. I lost quite a lot of weight with walking as my only exercise, then added in weight training, and then running. Making fitness-related goals is really helpful in keeping you motivated, so try to have something in place for when you finish C25k, to keep you going.

As for joining a gym - it really depends what your goals are. Some kind of resistance training is definitely to be recommended. This could be with weights, resistance bands, or even just your body weight. It will help you burn fat, and help to maintain your lean mass (which includes muscle) as you lose weight. It's inevitable that you will lose some lean mass, but with resistance work, you can minimise that loss. It will also help you to achieve a more "toned" look when you get to your goal weight, than if you just do cardio.

If you want to start with just bodyweight exercises, there are some free routines on this site: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/top-posts/ Youtube also has a lot of good videos.

There are lots of good exercise dvds you can do at home. A lot of people on MFP have had good success with Jillian Michaels' dvds (eg. 30 day shred) or programmes like Insanity.

If you get interested in lifting "heavy" (which you'll see a lot of women recommend here - not for getting "bulky", but for a more athletic look) then you might want to invest in some adjustable dumbbells and a barbell, or join a gym with a free weight section. If that's the route you want to go, check out New Rules of Lifting For Women, Starting Strength, or Strong Lifts. That might be something for later though.

Your diet is going to be the main way you lose weight though. First and foremost, you need to meet your calorie goal. You need to have a calorie deficit to lose fat, but not too large of a calorie deficit. You will find a wide range of opinions on MFP of what the "perfect" diet is, but start with calories. Some people only pay attention to calories, some will only eat a very strict, "clean" diet with no processed food. Here's where you find what works for you. Try to get a decent amount of protein in, and pay at least some attention to the overall nutritional balance. My advice would be - if you want to overhaul your diet, do it step by step and make small changes that you know you can live with. You don't have to cut out specific foods or food groups unless you have a medical issue with them, or unless you choose to.

You might find that some weeks you don't lose any weight, or even gain. Try not to become to emotionally attached to the number on the scale, and understand why weight fluctuations happen. It helps to take measurements of your body, and progress photos too. These will help keep you motivated if the scale isn't moving.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member

You can eat whatever time you like.
  • Thank you for your replies! I didnt pay for SW it was an NHS initiative thats run out now, i never used to stay either its not really my cup of tea & i dont want to waste my money on a 'fad' diet. I just want to educate myself properly with diet and fitness. Thank you for the heads up :) xx
  • Started a little thread for folks to answer what they're doing. There are a few replies so far if you'd like to check it out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/891402-how-do-you-do-it-and-why-does-it-work

:) Best of luck to you!
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    MFP is an awesome place to get motivation and help. I initially joined back in 2010 but really started April 2011. I lost 48 lbs from May-October 2011 and then got pregnant...

I had the wee one in May of 2012 and started back up on the weigh loss train in June 2012. I have lost 56 lbs so far, and have hit my pre-pregnancy weight before my little guy turned 9 months old. I have another 20-30 lbs that I'd like to lose and then re-evaluate.

I did it the first time by going to a gym 5x a week and watching what I ate.

I did it this time by exercising at home and watching what I ate.

Holding yourself accountable is the biggest factor. I eat every dinner after 6 pm, I have adult beverages, I still eat chocolate/donuts on occasion. Everything is good IN MODERATION! It's mostly keeping yourself accountable for what goes in your mouth.

I've tried almost every fad diet out there (weight watchers, HCG, Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, Slim Fast, Med Fast, etc.) and I can honestly say that this is the ONLY place that I have had the most success.

You can do it, but you're not going to be successful until YOU are in it for YOU!

Feel free to friend me :)

Best of luck to you! You can do it! If I can, anyone can!
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Do any exercise that keeps your heart at a constant elevated rate. Brisk walking (Basically a bit faster than your normal walking speed) is a good starting point for quite unfit people. Then you can build up to power walking, then jogging.
  • It depends on what intensity you can handle both physically and mentally. I personally prefer to stay away from the gym as it seems to be more of a social gathering than anything else. If you want an intense workout, the gym or fitness center is a good idea, but most people who need to lose a bunch of weight, cannot sustain the time and inconvenience of continually going to the gym. If you truly like to jog, DO THAT. Just remember to move your arms a bit while you jog. Running/jogging will shed pounds unless you are cramming calories in at the same time. If you are really serious about weight loss and want to develop a new better eating habit, take a look at your lunch and dinner meals. Take your fork and knife and separate 1/3 of that food and throw it in the trash. As you go you will learn to not take as much in the first place. Hey, your stomache is going to growl, and your brain is going to ask where that food went, but both will adapt. They have been adapting since you were born and began eating the way you are now.

If you enjoy jogging, you might try bicycling too. It is a good relaxing way to get out and see the neighborhood. Just DONT go crazy and over do it, as your body will not want to repeat that agony and will shut you down (breaking that "willpower" we all talk about.) Good luck and keep me posted on your success. I too am endeavoring to lose about 50. On my way....:happy:
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Hi Kat! my name is Katie its nice to meet you. I have done two 5k runs. the first thing would be to make mini goals of what you want to accomplish and do it in steps. that way it won't seem so overwhelming. I find mini goals help me focus on how far I've come and not on how far I have to go.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    FIRST AND FOREMOST!!!! losing weight is 90% diet!!!! only 10% exercise!!!

If I may....It's 90% Mental, 10% Action. Within your action, 80% diet (not a short-term fad BS diet, but a LIFESTYLE CHANGE), and 20% exercise.

Getting your setting right on MFP, eat for goal, work-out (Strength training and Cardio), get your sleep, and whatever you do STOP MAKING EXCUSES.
  • EricB56
    EricB56 Posts: 9 Member
    One of the best things here that most new folks do not know about or utilize is the search feature. There is a LOT of knowledge (and conflicting opinions at times) on the boards. You could spend days reading and learning about just about anything you like! Just pick a topic!

Good luck!
  • profit013
    profit013 Posts: 5
    Just joined MFP and I dont know where to start...what is the best way to maximize the use of this site? Is the secret in the friends and support groups?
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member

You can eat whatever time you like.

Yes you can, but you definitely lose more if you don't eat late at night.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Stop reading to much, start eating less and exercise, focus on your target, it may take couple of months. good luck:)