Shin Splint?

Options
I am currently running the C25k I'm only on week 2 day 2, today whilst running my right shin seemed sore (only when running). Not sore enough it caused me to stop but sore enough to make me a little concerened.

Little background. Joined the gym last may and started the couch to 5k, bought some neutral running trainers and managed to get to week 5 or 6 then just gave up and ran for myself. I was running 25/30 mins 3 times a week and then 2 days concentrating on weights etc. I kept that up until about september and then gave up my gym membership as it was too far for me to travel. I suffered no problems when running at all.

Signed up to a gym closer to me 2 weeks ago and re started the C25K to build myself back up to it, still using the trainers that I bought last year, they havent done too many miles, the bottoms still look like new. Suddenly I am getting shin splints :cry:

I realised after my run today I hadnt been setting my treadmill to a slight incline to compensate not running outside like I did last time so this may or not have contributed to the sore shin? I have also noticed that this treadmill seems to feel harder when running on it, its not as good as the previous gyms treadmill?

Does anyone have any advice on what to do from here? I'm now switching gyms again to one with a pool etc so that I can crosstrain if my shins still hurt as I still need to build my fitness up, maybe their treadmill will be better for impact. Its one of the super hightech ones with screen and ipod docs etc.

Should I stop running for now? or keep going? Go get myself some trainers fitted properly? (altho seeing as i had no problems last year I find it hard to believe its that) I'm only jogging at 5mph (12 min mile) so not super fast. I really dont want to stop running as i've booked myself in for a 5k this year and was hoping to move on to 10k by the end of it. I've looked up some shin muscle exercises which I will start doing to hopefully build them up but any advice or experience with shin splint would really help.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• gnoccola
    gnoccola Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The same happened to me when I started C25K a few years ago. It was my shoes! My pain was so horrible I'd have to lay off from running for a week or two. I went to a specialty store, got fitted, and have not felt pain since, and I'm running a half marathon next week! They're a bit expensive but totally worth it if you want to keep running. You won't be sorry!!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    The same happened to me when I started C25K a few years ago. It was my shoes! My pain was so horrible I'd have to lay off from running for a week or two. I went to a specialty store, got fitted, and have not felt pain since, and I'm running a half marathon next week! They're a bit expensive but totally worth it if you want to keep running. You won't be sorry!!!

Yup! This ^^^^
  • missvantassel
    Options

^^^Agreed. The other thing would be to try running at the same pace, but with shorter steps/strides.