NET CALORIES - I DONT UNDERSTAND!

Options

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I know others have said it but are you absolutely sure of your cal burns. Is your HRM set correctly? 1000+ cals in a day is a LOT. I'm 5ft2 and I'd have to walk or swim for 3 or 4 hours to get that burn.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Most of this advice is so wrong...

Look at the big loosers diary, people who lost 50, 75, 125lbs. They don't eat the exerciser calories period. I eat some, but try to leave 800 to 1200 on the table.

I'm following this guy .... joncowling1988.... regularly he exceeds his calories with exercise and he lost something like 125lbs.

If your not hungry don't eat!

I feel like I need something after exercise, so I eat it. But don't let anyone tell you you have to.

Listen to your body.

Try EdDavenport, who has lost 300+ eating back his exercise calories.

We can all find people/methods to support/justify our own methods. There are people who are sucessfull using every method, and people that have failed using them too.

I find the majority of people I trust aren''t even following the MFP way, they are eating at TDEE less % defict, and no lower that their BMR.

If the OP did that based on her estmated TDEE of 2300, she would eat 1500-1800 calories a day, every day.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Look at the big loosers diary, people who lost 50, 75, 125lbs. They don't eat the exerciser calories period. I eat some, but try to leave 800 to 1200 on the table.

I'm following this guy .... joncowling1988.... regularly he exceeds his calories with exercise and he lost something like 125lbs.

I feel like I need something after exercise, so I eat it. But don't let anyone tell you you have to.

Listen to your body.

WOW. How in the heck did I lose those 68lbs by eating back my exercise calories then? I must be a medical marvel :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • xxxTRISHAxxx
    xxxTRISHAxxx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    [/quote first thing, how on earth are you burning 1000 cals per day doing light activity, are you super obese at your height.? I dont mean this in a bad way, but i would have to spend about 4 hours working out to get to that level

1000 is not what i burn every day.....but i swim for 1 hour and walk also with a HRM for a good hour

im 5ft 1/2 inch and 166lb so for my height im pretty heavy
  • douglasbeale
    douglasbeale Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Listen to your body.

WOW. How in the heck did I lose those 68lbs by eating back my exercise calories then? I must be a medical marvel :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I never said she wont loose weight eating her calories back, the deficiency is baked into her allowance. I only said she doesn't have to.
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Same here!
  • Alexfit12
    Options
    First of all, your calorie burn seems a bit too high. Especially if your resting rate is around 1400...

Second, if you eat 1200 calories a day and have the energy to work out for an hour every day without any dizziness, headaches, muscle soreness then you are doing just fine.

Myfitnesspal doesn't know your body as well as you do, and statistics apply to most people, not to all people. If you feel good, if these numbers are working for you, then don't over think it. It's not easy to find the perfect balance, but it seems like you've done it. If you're happy with the results and you feel healthy, why make changes that you don't feel you need?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Im making an effort to get in exercise most days with a good walk and some swimming.....nothing too vigorous!.....and am burning between 500 - 1000 calories a day.

I would think that is a SUPER high estimate for "nothing too vigorous", but I may be wrong. I can run 4 miles in 40 minutes and it is around 550 calories. That might be something to check.
  • xxxTRISHAxxx
    Options
    First of all, your calorie burn seems a bit too high. Especially if your resting rate is around 1400...

Second, if you eat 1200 calories a day and have the energy to work out for an hour every day without any dizziness, headaches, muscle soreness then you are doing just fine.

Myfitnesspal doesn't know your body as well as you do, and statistics apply to most people, not to all people. If you feel good, if these numbers are working for you, then don't over think it. It's not easy to find the perfect balance, but it seems like you've done it. If you're happy with the results and you feel healthy, why make changes that you don't feel you need?

thank you, this makes sense. The calorie burn was yesterday and only given as an example as a comment when i logged my diary prompted me to add this post. The average is 1/2 - 1 hour walk and 1 hour swim and by burn is sometimes only 500 :)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Listen to your body.

I never said she wont loose weight eating her calories back, the deficiency is baked into her allowance. I only said she doesn't have to.

As you have just said, the deficiency is alreday baked into the allowance, so when she exercises she is actually making that defict much larger

When it comes to deficts, bigger is not always better.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • xxxTRISHAxxx
    Options
    Im making an effort to get in exercise most days with a good walk and some swimming.....nothing too vigorous!.....and am burning between 500 - 1000 calories a day.

I would think that is a SUPER high estimate for "nothing too vigorous", but I may be wrong. I can run 4 miles in 40 minutes and it is around 550 calories. That might be something to check.

maybe im not giving myself enough credit for the effort then as 60 mins swim was 527, but this was using the figure from MFP. I walked to and from swimming which was 20 mins and a burn of 136 on my HRM. I also took a walk to the super market which 29 mins there and burn of 235 and 31 mins back and burn of 265. I turned my HRM off when in the supermarket as felt this would be park of my normal day as such.

I think my figures for my burn are as accurate as I can get them :)
  • dinoskycm
    Options

The problem is that MFP doesn't take into account exercise when setting calorie goals, and deficts.

So, you and I could be the same weight, height, job etc, and MFP would give us both the same calorie goal for 1lb a week loss, by deducting 500 from our estimated daily calorie burn excluding exercise.

Now, If I just went home every night and sat in front of the TV, and you did your 1000 calories of swimming, our daily energy output would be very different, and you wouldl be expending 1000 calories than me.

to still get the same 500 calorie defict for 1lb per week you would need to eat 1000 calories more than me.

This will also help - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

This was part of where i get so confused as i think id probably rather not exercise than eat more than i want :(

Basically, if you exercise more, eat more. If you exercise less, eat less. Either way, your daily intake should be around 1200 every day so that your body doesnt go into starvation mode. I recommend exercising more and eating more to make up the difference (or some of the difference) because diet itself will only go so far, and when you exercise, you are boosting your metabolism which will help you burn the fat and actually lose fat as opposed to muscle. At the end of the day, make sure your caloric intake is around 1200.

So say you eat 1400 on day 1. You burn 1000 through exercise. That leaves your net at 400 calories. To get back to around 1200, you need to eat 800 (400+800=1200).

Say the next day, you eat 1300. You burn 500 through exercise. That leaves your net at 800 calories. To get back to around 1200, you need to eat 400 (800+400=1200).

The first day represents a high exercise day. You need to eat back more calories to make up with difference.
    The second day represents a low exercise day. You don't need to eat back as much because not as much exercise was done.

However, keep exercising because your metabolism will speed up and that increases the process by which you burn fat.

Hope that helps!!
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think you would be better off with a consistant daily calorie consumption goal. Its about what suits us psychologically as well.
    So forget logging in exercise at all.
    Carry on with your healthy activity. Truefully change your settings to moderately active and eat the calorie allowance given!
  • douglasbeale
    Options

Listen to your body.

As you have just said, the deficiency is alreday baked into the allowance, so when she exercises she is actually making that defict much larger

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

That's a good article and intresting, but I quote this:

"I’d also note that the combination of big caloric deficits and large amounts of activity clearly isn’t detrimental to everyone. Some folks can get away with it but, for many, it tends to backfire more than anything else."

My advise is still........ Listen to your body.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Listen to your body.

That's a good article and intresting, but I quote this:

"I’d also note that the combination of big caloric deficits and large amounts of activity clearly isn’t detrimental to everyone. Some folks can get away with it but, for many, it tends to backfire more than anything else."

My advise is still........ Listen to your body.

But, your body is NOT going to give you good signals if you are starving it. If you are fueling it properly, than this would be good advise.

I do not get why anyone would want to eat less, when you can lose weight and properly fuel your body without starving it and killing your muscle mass in the process.
  • smh1067
    smh1067 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to publicly apologize and say I'm truely sorry for upsetting you, that wasn't my intention. I know you are putting a lot of effort in, I was just trying to be helpful and share the knowledge I'd gleaned from this site and all of its helpful memebers because I didn't want to see you stall out. It just seemed that you were confused that you went over when MFP said you hadn't. As you can see, there are lots of opinions out there, that was just mine. I will keep my "helpful" comments to myself from now on and just be there to support your decisions. Again, so sorry! :flowerforyou:
  • xxxTRISHAxxx
    Options
    I just wanted to publicly apologize and say I'm truely sorry for upsetting you, that wasn't my intention. I know you are putting a lot of effort in, I was just trying to be helpful and share the knowledge I'd gleaned from this site and all of its helpful memebers because I didn't want to see you stall out. It just seemed that you were confused that you went over when MFP said you hadn't. As you can see, there are lots of opinions out there, that was just mine. I will keep my "helpful" comments to myself from now on and just be there to support your decisions. Again, so sorry! :flowerforyou:

Sweetie, you have absolutely no need to apoloise at all. Im just getting into MFP and as you rightfully say, Im a little confused with if I have/havent gone over my goal. Please do not feel you can not give me your help and opinion, as giving it me led me to writing this post and get all this advise. Please keep supporting me and giving me tips etc as it is just want I need xxx
  • douglasbeale
    Options

SMH1067.... You've earned your seat here! Disagreement stimulates intelligent conversation. Don't let what I say discourage you one bit. notsolittlesi is right... your a sweetheart!

Happy valentines day!
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it, is its like driving a car. You have 1200 cal a day to use and if you do exercise you are gaining more calories but burning calories and you need to fuel them otherwise you are running on empty.
    I have found that when you put the exercise into MFP, the exercise calories can be too high. So I always say, eat your 1200 when exercising along with water and part of your calories you gain from exercise. Its all about eating the right things. And also eat after exercise as your metabolism is still working.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Good luck

Thank you!!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Ok, you really should only cut 250 cal's from diet, and another 250 from exercise. At the end of the week, that would equal 3,500 cal's, and 3,500 cal,'s = 1lb of fat. MFP tells you to cut 500 cal's from diet only. It is up to you to burn the 250 from exercise. SO...you should try to eat back atleast some of the calories you burn. Make sure that your calorie burning estimate is as accurate as possible. As was mentioned earlier, MFP doesn't have very good calorie burn estimates. You can look at other sources online, to help, if you need to.