Burning calories questions

Options
So, on MFP, I am allowed 1500 calories. How many of these should I actually eat and how many calories should I try and burn at the gym? I usually use the machines to tell me how many calories I've burned but I know that isn't always accurate. Is there another way I can figure out how many calories I am burning?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Sharon

Replies

• sassy15241
    sassy15241 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Also, I have a Fitbit that counts calories. How accurate might that be?
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    The net calories allowance is NET - so calories eaten minus calories burned should equal 1500

On days you don't exercise you eat less food

Personally I am not a fan of Fitbit as a calorie counting tool because it doesn't take into account your heart rate. If you are a mathematician see below, but basically calories burned is directly related to your heart rate

Having said that, any exercise is better than no exercise, so go out, have fun, eat less and hopefully the weight will come off!

For your maths: The Journal of Sports Sciences provides a calorie expenditure formula for each gender. Men use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.2017) -- (Weight x 0.09036) + (Heart Rate x 0.6309) -- 55.0969] x Time / 4.184. Women use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.074) -- (Weight x 0.05741) + (Heart Rate x 0.4472) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/221621-formula-for-calories-burned-during-exercise/#ixzz2KmtsJ7h7
  • ChocolateLovie
    Options
    Found a good site with the calories burned for many activities, such as housework, playing with children, carrying kids/laundry up the stairs and even darts.

It's http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    So, on MFP, I am allowed 1500 calories. How many of these should I actually eat and how many calories should I try and burn at the gym? I usually use the machines to tell me how many calories I've burned but I know that isn't always accurate. Is there another way I can figure out how many calories I am burning?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
    Sharon

You should eat them all. MFP calculated 1500 cals per day in order to reach your goal. Why would you not eat them all?

It's up to you how many cals you burn at the gym... as many or as few as you want. But if you're following MFP, you should be logging and eating back those calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The net calories allowance is NET - so calories eaten minus calories burned should equal 1500

On days you don't exercise you eat less food

Personally I am not a fan of Fitbit as a calorie counting tool because it doesn't take into account your heart rate. If you are a mathematician see below, but basically calories burned is directly related to your heart rate

Having said that, any exercise is better than no exercise, so go out, have fun, eat less and hopefully the weight will come off!

For your maths: The Journal of Sports Sciences provides a calorie expenditure formula for each gender. Men use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.2017) -- (Weight x 0.09036) + (Heart Rate x 0.6309) -- 55.0969] x Time / 4.184. Women use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.074) -- (Weight x 0.05741) + (Heart Rate x 0.4472) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/221621-formula-for-calories-burned-during-exercise/#ixzz2KmtsJ7h7

Not exactly. Calories burned is based on workload, which is a function of the activity being done and the weight being moved.
  • sassy15241
    sassy15241 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!

Sharon