Lenten Fish Fries - Which is less bad?

Options
With Lent starting today, every church and volunteer fire department in the area will be having Friday fish fries. In my area, this means 2 8oz cod fillets, dipped in batter and deep fried. Most places also offer a baked version - same amount of fish baked in butter.

My wife and I will split a dinner, but which do you think is the lesser of the two evils?

Most Friday's I'll be making my own, but tradition is tradition and I will be partaking of the church fry at least twice.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,971 Member
    Options
    Since I don't eat deep fried fish very often, I would be consuming that, hands down.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    definitely the baked
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It is hard to say, since "baked in butter" is kind of vague. When all is said and done, the baked could absorb just as much fat as the fried! I would eat the fried. You are splitting the portion and let's be honest...it will taste way better. Lay off the fries and just eat the fish and it really won't be catastrophic calorie-wise!

Damn, now I really want fish and chips!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Plan for it in your calorie goals and enjoy which ever you'd prefer.
  • nrf111
    nrf111 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Deep fried fish is actually not as high in calories as you would imagine. I eat it a fish fry about once a month. As long as you plan for it, it should be fine.
  • jhdoman
    Options
    Thanks for the Fish Fry reminder! I don't think you would be happy with the baked. The fried would be more satisfying.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    less bad???

Yes, the opposite of more good. Or is it more goodly...

I'll be getting the fried - I have plenty of room for it and believe it is probably lower calories than the baked. The last time I got the baked, it was delicious, but it was sitting in a half inch of melted butter. I was just curious on what others thought.
  • juliesullan
    Options
    For me, I would eat the real thing, the fried, and eat less of course. I've been in Europe and seems like they eat the good stuff, but less of it. Seems to work for them.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My take:

Eat the baked. Try to shake off the butter. Don't wipe the extra butter off the plate with anything when done. Enjoy! Maybe try to limit yourself to about one palm sized portion.

Or, if feeling decadent, eat the fried, but eat 1/2 the quantity.
  • kimberly728
    Options
    As long as you plan it in your calorie intake you can eat either option. i dont like things baked in butter so i would go with the fried. your only eating half a portion anyway and you can make up for it throughout the day and at the gym. Just dont over do it with your portion size!