Going for hot pot tonight!

Options
Hey so I'm going out for hot pot tonight with a friend. Does anyone here have an opinion on how I should count the broth? I'm not drinking any of it, just boiling my veggies in it. I was planning on just counting the veggies and then adding like 50-100 calories at the end..?

Replies

• jjuullzz
    jjuullzz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on what kind of broth you are having. Spicy? Not spicy? I LOVE hot pot! We spent 2 years in China, and brought hot pots home. We make it all the time! Enjoy!!!
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The place offers a selection; you can choose two. We usually get mala (spicy) and tomyum (sweet & sour). The broth looks a little oily from the chilis, but mostly looks like just water, spices, and some fruits/veggies for flavor.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I live in Taiwan, hotpot is a staple here :laugh: tom yum is usually ok but it has a lot of sodium in it.
    Do they have a vegetarian option? Like mushroom stock?

There's an all you can eat hotpot place on my road, NT$300 :smile:
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    They do have mushroom! Maybe we'll try that. They have an herbal as well and a mongolian veggie.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    They do have mushroom! Maybe we'll try that. They have an herbal as well and a mongolian veggie.

I'm vegan so the mushroom is my only choice, I'm not into the Chinese herbal stocks but that's just me :laugh: the all y can eat place near me is insane, it's set out like a sushi restaurant (with a conveyor belt) you just help yourself, gah, I want a hotpot now!

Enjoy! :bigsmile:
  • jjuullzz
    jjuullzz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mongolian veggie sounds deelish!!! Whatever you get, enjoy it!! :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    We do hot pot at a friends house a couple times a year. It's my favorite meal I look totally forward to. I always consider it about 500 calories, with the tofu, broth, veggies, and tendency to overeat. I add them up fairly high numbers for a meal.