Hi! I'm new(ish) and wanting to lose but failing. Help?

Options
Hello all! I started MFP because I wanted to see belly fat start fading away and to take a good look at how I'm treating my body. I am 5"7 and currently weigh 137 pounds. I look okay, but I'm wanting that body that will allow me to look good in my swimsuit. So far I've been on MFP for a month and only lost two pounds.

I am a runner and I love it! I love getting my miles in every day. I try to run every single day and if I can't, I always replace it with another cardio exercise such as zumba or stationary bike. I've only started doing this since MFP, though, and I think that may be why I lost the two pounds. I also have a group trainer at work who does free weights with us three times a week, so I am building muscle.

My question is this: can cutting calories and running alone get me my dream body, or are my food choices going to affect it as well? Do I need to cut carbs or sugar? Eat a whole plate of vegetables a day? I have a huge sweet tooth and don't think I could give up chocolate. I'd be more eager to increase my workout than deal with food, unfortunately. I find eating healthy to be an immense challenge.

Looking for guidance and friends to help me get a fit body!

Replies

• joniannbrooks
    joniannbrooks Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    At your weight and height you don't need to lose. While cardio is terrific what will get rid of your belly fat is muscle toning exercises. Lifting arm weight won't get rid of belly fat. I'm 5' 4" and weigh 136, wear a size four and I'm, soon to be, 54 years old. I work hard to stay fit and healthy. I'm on here to lose another 5 or so lbs.
  • sohutto
    sohutto Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :smile: I know I'm not unhealthy and don't particularly NEED to lose, I'd like to get fit/toned.

We do ab workouts every fitness session with the trainer and I try to do some every night. Russian twists, crunches, V-sits, toe touches, etc. I feel like I have abs, they're just under the fat! :laugh:
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    So I too need to lose belly fat ... well I just need to lose fat in general! The thing I would consider (because it's been working for me) is be conscious of your carb intake.

I realize there are different types of carbs, so this is just a general statement, but here's the lowdown on the one you should really watch:

Simple Carbohydrates
    Simple carbohydrates are digested and absorbed quickly. Simple carbohydrates are sugar bonds --- called monosaccharides --- that are broken down easily by your body. Sources of simple carbohydrates include foods like candy, cookies, sugar, white bread, watermelon and juice. These carbohydrates are more likely to cause belly fat than complex carbohydrates.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/507765-do-carbs-make-your-belly-fat/#ixzz2Kn1qgbAJ

You're cadio is great!

Let me know if this was helpful.
  • sohutto
    Options
    That is helpful! Thank you. I know I could do better about my carb/sugar intake and I could definitely eat more fiber.
  • msmarion2b
    Options
    So I too need to lose belly fat ... well I just need to lose fat in general! The thing I would consider (because it's been working for me) is be conscious of your carb intake.

I realize there are different types of carbs, so this is just a general statement, but here's the lowdown on the one you should really watch:

Simple Carbohydrates
    Simple carbohydrates are digested and absorbed quickly. Simple carbohydrates are sugar bonds --- called monosaccharides --- that are broken down easily by your body. Sources of simple carbohydrates include foods like candy, cookies, sugar, white bread, watermelon and juice. These carbohydrates are more likely to cause belly fat than complex carbohydrates.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/507765-do-carbs-make-your-belly-fat/#ixzz2Kn1qgbAJ

You're cadio is great!

Let me know if this was helpful.

THIS! Exactly.
  • vermaeten
    Options
    Eat healthy and within your calorie intake for 5-6 days a week. Try and keep your carbs during the 5-6 days at less than 30%. Take a day each week and satisify your sweet tooth.
  • Aliseekberg1
    Options
    5'7" and 137.... I wish! I have been struggling with food cravings as well and I'm finding that staying hydrated has been helping a lot. Every time I think of indulging I drink some water and take some time to think of my goals. Sounds cheesy but it really helps. A friend of mine who is a trainer/nutritionist told me, "You can't out-exercise a bad diet." You should try eating well and then having one cheat day a week and just pig out. I fantasize about what I want to eat on Sunday's all week and it gives me something to work towards. Good luck!
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    some say 1500 cals is 1500 cals.

But really think it is in your food choices as well! You may lose weight staying in your calorie intake but losing your belly will take a much more thought process with your food.

and keep up with the cardio!!

lots of water try adding lemon and cucumber to help with bloating.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you had your body fat measured? You may have an unrealistic view of what non air brushed abs actually look like. Your weight is dead center of normal, so it depends how you carry it, but an objective view like an accurate body fat measurement will be helpful in setting realistic goals.
  • sohutto
    Options
    The only time I've had body fat measured is entering my stats on websites. I haven't actually used any sort of gadget....or is that the correct way to measure? I'm not really sure.

I like the idea of saving my sweets/bad foods for weekends only! I think I can focus on eating really healthy during the week at work and then have weekends as a sort of refuge.
  • Kimmy_927
    Kimmy_927 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    From what I know, your diet has bigger impact on your weight loss than exercise does. Of course combining eating healthy and exercise is best. I think the main thing to work on would be temptation of unhealthy foods. I recommend a documentary on netflix called HUNGRY FOR CHANGE.