MFP is inspiring more than I thought it would

SraArroz
SraArroz Posts: 238
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I joined just over a week ago, and boy is this place addictive!! I have been logging everything in like crazy, I am trying to be truthful but not "obsessed". So, I'm realizing that I eat a lot of processed foods (like lower sodium deli meat). I'm not really good at cooking, so MFP has inspired me to try to learn how to cook so that I can eat more healthy foods.

For example, in my freezer I have "fully cooked" chicken breast strips. They're perfect for my salads, but full of sodium. I need to learn how to just cook my own chicken and save it so I can use it later. LOL Also, last night I made chilli but used canned beans... full of sodium. Why can't we find pinto beans in the freezer section?? Maybe I'll learn how to prepare the beans from dried beans...

See what I mean? Logging in all of this nutritional info and seeing the totals makes me more aware of what I'm eating. For example, while I :heart: sunflower seeds and they're a good source of protein, I can't afford to put them on my salad everyday.

Any suggestions you could give this culinarily-challenged chick, would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Replies

• mollyelliott
    mollyelliott Posts: 55 Member
    i dont cook either.. lol.. im 24 and single tho, so i just eat subway, or soup :)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Grilled meat and meat cooked in the crockpot are easy and good. I also "fry" fish in olive oil flavored Pam. I'm not the best as I still eat frozen dinners at lunch. They're just easier for me. I try to only have one "processed" meal a day and I'm trying to work on bringing my sodium levels down to a more reasonable level.
  • smilogirl
    smilogirl Posts: 30 Member
    you can get those frozen chicken breasts.. or fresh ones without the skin and freeze them.. bake them 10-15-20 minutes with your own seasoning, depending on how big they are. it takes no time at all to bake up a batch and freeze it.. then heat them up for your dinner to go on your salad Also.. rinse those beans out of the can and it will get rid of most of that sodium.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    IF you will buy a package of 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, drizzle them with olive oil, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-45 minutes (depends on the thickness of the ones you purchase), you can then use them throughout the week in salads, in sandwich wraps, or in other recipes you may find to use. You cook one time, but have multiple ways to use the chicken throughout the week.
  • jessapoe
    jessapoe Posts: 13 Member
    I like to buy boneless, skinless chicken breast (free range when possible) in large packs, then split them into 1-2 breasts per ziplock baggie when I freeze them. Then, I take one baggie out of the freezer every few days, pound the breast out until it's about 1/2'' thick all over (with a meat tenderizer, or rolling pin, or whatever sanitary thing you have around) Then I broil the meat for about 20 minutes in my little toaster oven (sometimes seasoned with garlic powder and pepper, or a bit of cajun spice) I bring my little baggies of cooked and seasoned chicken breast as a snack with me or eat it sliced over a salad for lunch or dinner. It's a good way to get in lean protein and save a buck on eating meals out. Good luck! Also, making a big pot of veggie soup or black beans are a good way to cook at home, but not everyday.
  • SraArroz
    Thank you so much for the ideas/suggestions! :bigsmile:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Re: Chili

I buy kidney beans (organic, but that's just me) without salt added. It truly cuts down on the sodium. Also, if you use chili powder and garlic and pepper rather than the seasoning packets, you can eliminate even more salt.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Re: Chili

I buy kidney beans (organic, but that's just me) without salt added. It truly cuts down on the sodium. Also, if you use chili powder and garlic and pepper rather than the seasoning packets, you can eliminate even more salt.
    Add a bit of paprika to the previous mix. Delicious! You also avoid the sugar by making your own.

D
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Maybe I'll learn how to prepare the beans from dried beans...

It's really not any harder than boiling water. The thing that tends to get me is the time it takes. You have to remember to start them a few hours in advance.
  • izobel
    izobel Posts: 116 Member
    It never occurred to me that people didn't know how to cook but saw Jamie Oliver being interviewed by Larry King last week and he really highlighted the fact that so many people don't cook - and he was saying in England he was coming across 3rd generation non-cookers. For sure there are so many additives and sodium in processed and pre-cooked food (a lot of them making the foods addictive in MHO), and you can save truckloads of calories by cooking for yourself.

The program should be interesting. Here are some snippets -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLgmk323H6k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGYs4KS_djg&feature=related
  • SraArroz
    Thank you so much!! I'm going to learn how to cook so I can make this a lifelong thing. I'm really starting to think about what goes into my body.... I'm worth the time and energy it takes to learn how to cool. My hubby loves to cook, but he doesn't cook "healthy".... so I'm trying to learn now.
This discussion has been closed.