Runtastic vs. MFP Cardio Estimator- Calorie Burn

Options
On my most recent walk/jog outing, the Runtastic app on my phone estimated I had traveled 2.1 miles at a pace of 3.8mph in 33 min. for total calorie burn of 416. MFP estimates the same time at 4.0 mph (the closest I could get) burning only 262 calories. That's a pretty big discrepancy. Any thoughts on which might be the most accurate? Maybe someone else uses Runtastic and another more accuarate device that can give me some insight?
Also, although my Runtastic app is set to sync with MFP, the previous two workout haven't been recorded. Any advice on that?
Thanks....

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    With my HRM, my walks are always HIGHER than what MFP says. For a 30 minute walk, my HRM monitor gives me around 330 calories burned. Than again, MFP doesn't tke height, weight or bodyfat into consideration....
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic and find they are usually very close to MFP. However, I noticed on my last walk I went on I had accidentally set runtastic to "running" instead of walking. For a 45 min "run" at 4.0 it gave me something like 3oo and some calories burned, but for a walk at 4.0 it's about 160 calories burned. So you have to determine if you were walking or running, apparently it makes a difference even if you are covering the same ground in the same time. As far as it not syncing try uninstalling and reinstalling it.
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The things that weren't recorded automatically were they "other" activities? Runtastic doesn't really work unless you are outside and moving. Stationary activities don't add up right and don't upload.
    Use a third party "calories burned by average heartrate" calculator and see which is closest. I find my runtastic app is usually spot on with those.
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would trust a HRM or any other device that actually tracks you and is unique to your specifications. MFP was saying that I burned way more than my HRM once I got it.
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I would trust a HRM or any other device that actually tracks you and is unique to your specifications. MFP was saying that I burned way more than my HRM once I got it.

Agreed....I saw someone's post yesterday that said cleaning house 60 minutes 800 calories? Uh probably not. I'm not even sure why items like riding a motorcycle, cleaning house (vigorously), etc are even listed. I really don't think Cleaning your house would ever burn 800 calories. When I do a pretty extreme cardio workout for an hour I'm lucky to hit 700 calories and that is non stop target heart rate of 80% Max activity.
  • mrsjaime_jor
    mrsjaime_jor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'll check on the settings- that makes sense. Thank you!
  • mrsjaime_jor
    mrsjaime_jor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No it wasn't stationary- just combined walking/jogging (Week 4 C25K) outside. I'm going to check my settings to make sure it is on "walk" instead of "run". I would rather estimate lower than higher... Thank you.