Protein powder suggestions for non-dairy?

Options
Considering adding protein powder somewhere into my day....I'm dairy free though and the idea of water with it just doesn't sound good. Anyone use a good protein powder that is GOOD with water or a light juice?

Can't do dairy or soy.... I can tolerate almond milk in small doses, but not regularly.

Replies

• CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about hemp milk, but have never tasted it myself.
  • reh1089
    Options
    almond milk is delicious!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You also have to check what the protein powder is made of. A lot them are whey based and I can't tolerate that.
  • aprilelayne
    aprilelayne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    almond milk is delicious!

I do enjoy it as a rare treat, mostly as a post-run recovery.
    But my stomach cannot handle a full serving of almond on a daily basis.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Egg would be the best of what's left IMO...no experience with tastes of any though.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    try www.greensfirst.com they have a vegan protien powder made of vegitable proteins.
    Get the greensfirst plus power boost wellness shake. Yummy!
  • sarahjones174
    sarahjones174 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know a friend of mine uses almond milk.
  • winterswish
    Options
    Hmm, I don't drink juice but I do use this: http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Basics-Protein-Vanilla-18-52-Ounces/dp/B003O1TRZ6/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2 and put it in the blender with a piece of whole fruit (sometimes greens) and water. It's on the sweet side already if you get the vanilla and I think it's pretty good.
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use Standard Process dairy-free protein powder. I usually mix it in with my green smoothies in the morning since it doesn't really have a flavor on its own.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When mixing almond milk with your protein powder, you cant hardly taste the almond milk. It is just a good mixer. You can start with a sweetened vanilla almond milk. It has some sugar, but it tastes phenomenal. Then you can do half sweetened/half unsweetened, until you work your way down to unsweetened. I admit, I do NOT like the taste of unsweetened vanilla almond milk by itself. But i absolutely love it with my protein shakes, smoothies, oatmeal, fiber one. AMAZING :)

To answer the protein powder question though, I like Body Fortress Advanced Whey Protein Powder. The Chocolate is good with just water. The vanilla is not as good though. Strawberry is decent with water. Strawberry would be really good with a juice I think.

My typical protein shake is this:
    1 scoop Body Fortress Chocolate Whey
    1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    1 Tbs PB2
    Ice

-OR-
    1 scoop Body Fortress Vanilla Whey
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 Tbs PB2
    1/2 Tbs Cinnamon

^^That one tastes like cinnamon toast crunch milk, ha :)

Good luck finding something you enjoy!
  • bee_elle
    bee_elle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like Nutribiotic Rice protein...I don't know how it is with water or juice...but I do enjoy it mixed into my oatmeal and it works well in baked goods.
  • Can you drink rice milk?
  • aprilelayne
    aprilelayne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You also have to check what the protein powder is made of. A lot them are whey based and I can't tolerate that.

You may have hit the nail on the head! I have tried various ones in the past with water/juice and still ended up with a response similar to that of lactose. Makes sense!

Thanks for mentioning the 'whey' component.
    I may be screwed without whey or soy??
  • sarahjones174
    sarahjones174 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How about coconut milk?
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Check out Plant Fusion
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I use one called Magnum Quatro. I have the vanilla AND the chocolate and they're good - dairy free and really mix well with just water. The chocolate one taste, to me, like chocolate milk. They're 30g per scoop.

Here is the link to where I got mine from:

http://www.popeyescanada.com/inf_magnum_quattro.php
  • Lisa_JL
    Options
    Vega One, is dairy, gluten and soy free, although not the greatest tasting.... I have vanilla chai flavour.... Maybe chocolate one will tast better.... You can mix it with just water... Its all plant based proteins with 15 g of protein in one scoop.
  • Lisa_JL
    Options
    Vega one, I just read it and says you can mix with Juice... I have not tried it with Juice thought just water..
  • Ipster
    Ipster Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I stopped using whey protein because I gave up dairy and now I use NutriBiotic Vegan Rice Protein Powder Plain.

http://www.vitacost.com/nutribiotic-vegan-rice-protein-powder-plain-1-5-lbs
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I like sun warrior (http://www.sunwarrior.com/). I get their classic chocolate and mix it with frozen fruit and unsweetened soy milk