Why do some people bother?

Options
I'm no fitness expert, but if you are under 30 and seemingly a normal weight for your height there is the teeniest chance that walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes at 2.5 mph while talking on the phone and text messaging just might not be giving you much of a workout. And I don't appreciate dirty looks when my being out of breath interferes with your phone call. You don't like sweaty panting people? Stay out of the gym - or at least don't take the machine next to mine.

Oh, and the ab rocker is for working your abs, not for having a bit of a lie down and sending text messages, while every now and then rocking out a half hearted crunch or two with one hand on the frame and the other still text messaging.

And in closing, seriously, get some headphones. We're not all as big a fan of Pink as you are.

N.B. I'm aware sometimes there are legitimate reasons for slow workouts. But given the phone call and text messaging, I'm going out on a limb and concluding this isn't one of those cases. When you're a douche at the gym, you lose the right to the benefit of the doubt.

Replies

• SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Here! Here!!
  • krazykim42
    Options
    yes ive seen loads like that in the gym... using machines up wasting time on them.... when we are waiting to have a GOOD work out... frustrating... but i dont go to gym no more. i bought myself a good treadmill and its all mine for a s long as i want it... cant be bothered with gyms and posers lol...... tell em to move!!
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I agree. It is super irritating!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I agree!

Last week some old guy was actually asleep on a machine I was waiting to use. I give him credit for getting there and getting some execise but come on - falling asleep?!!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Honestly... as long as people aren't taking up the machine I want to use, while lazing around texting or talking on the phone in the gym... then I could care less if they are on their phones... They will get the results from the work out effort that they put in... as will I.

Side note though... I DO actually really like Pink... remind me to put some more of her stuff on my ipod! But I do agree with the headphones thing... not everyone likes what you do.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I agree!

Last week some old guy was actually asleep on a machine I was waiting to use. I give him credit for getting there and getting some execise but come on - falling asleep?!!

This made me :laugh:
  • LuckyStarrGal
    LuckyStarrGal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I go to the gym to workout! I can live without talking to family or friends for a couple of hours! They say if you don't focus on your workout you don't get much of an workout. Put the phones away or yes get some earphones so that we don't have to hear your conversation!!!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I like Pink.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a co worker who has lost about 30 pounds (she claims double that, um...I'm skeptical)

She brags about how much she works out, and there are several of us who head down to the treadmills on our breaks. While the rest of us are breaking a sweat, and breaking out the deodorant afterwards, she's puttering along texting while she's walking and/or sitting on the recumbent bike.

I don't know why she bothers.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sleeping at the gym? That's what the public library is for.

As long as people are minding their own business, not hogging equipment, and not being so loud I can't hear my music, I don't care what they do.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I had a woman make a smart *kitten* comment on the treadmill next to me the other day. I use my iphone for the 5K to 10K program. I was on my phone starting the program for my run and she gives me a dirty look and told the woman next to her very loudly, some people are here to work and some people are here to text.

She was off the treadmill in less than 20 minutes while I continued my 45 minute run.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    i find that throwing up on someone annoying usually gets them to move on.

OP, have to take offense to Pink reference. I love her tunes. She isn't the problem. Totally agree on the slackers at the gym. I am a firm believer that a puddle-o-sweat means something!

Good luck!
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    There was a twig of a girl on the elliptical next to me the other day that did an hour on level one at about 90 SPM... I didn't quite understand why??? And of course she had the arm bars turned on, but proceeded to rest her hands on top of the HRM grips the whole time, not even holding them to read her heart rate...
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If I see someone taking up a piece of equipment and I know they're not using it and it's something that I need to use I'll walk over and say "Excuse me but are you using this?" That will either get them off whatever it is they're lounging on or get them to actually do a set.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how many threads there are like this. I went to a large and quite busy gym for 7 years and I never recall seeing this - or I didn't care enough to notice.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I agree!

Maybe he's narcoleptic? :p
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how many threads there are like this. I went to a large and quite busy gym for 7 years and I never recall seeing this - or I didn't care enough to notice.

Ours is a small community gym, with a grand total of 2 treadmills, 3 bikes, 2 ellipticals, a weights machine, a step and an ab rocker.

It's hard not to notice when someone is being a douche, even if there is someone on every machine, as there was this morning.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

When you're doing your routine and there's a piece of equipment that you need and you see someone lounging around on it texting then you'll notice!! <-- and I mean that in a non snarky way.

If it's absolutely something that I need then I will politely say something but if not -- for example there's this old guy who takes up the cable tower and uses it for at LEAST an hour -- I can easily use another piece of equipment to get my workout done.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I agree!

Wow.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    For the ones that are on the treadmill while talking or texting... at least they are at the gym doing something and not sitting on the couch. You don't know their story just like they don't know yours. Everyone is at the gym for different reasons... Just a thought.

When I first started on the treadmill all i did was walk... and i was on my phone... why? I was building up my tolerance to run... I found that I stayed on the treadmill longer (than 10 mins) if I was doing something. I didn't have a chance to buy headphones yet but I got my butt to the gym and did 'something'. I'm not extremely over weight but I had a hard time running. Now I'm signed up for three 5K's and intermittently running my workouts (doing C25K). I hate people that judge at the gym.

Yes, if I'm not doing anything then by all means ask me to move... but for the situation I talked about above... lay off